What register to use in a tourist translation from English to Spanish, and why?
Thread poster: Nahuel Luciani
Nahuel Luciani
Nahuel Luciani
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
Feb 29, 2020

I'm a student preparing for a final, I feel that a more formal register, referring to the reader as "usted" is the best choice for this, but I'm having a hard time trying to think of how to justify this in the exam, other than the fact that tourist texts in Spanish are more formal, according to my notes at least.
Alternatively, what do you th
... See more
I'm a student preparing for a final, I feel that a more formal register, referring to the reader as "usted" is the best choice for this, but I'm having a hard time trying to think of how to justify this in the exam, other than the fact that tourist texts in Spanish are more formal, according to my notes at least.
Alternatively, what do you think is the best choice, and why?
https://rove.me/best-places-to-travel this is the original text, if it helps.
Collapse

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 01:48
Dutch to English
+ ...
Suggestion Mar 1, 2020

I think that, in general, a tourism text lends itself well to an informal tone but I don't know how that comes across in Spanish, and it may also depend on what country it is. Have you checked other tourism website in Spanish to see what is most common?

Esteban Ossen
neilmac

Jessica Noyes
Jessica Noyes  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:48
Spanish to English
+ ...
target audience Mar 1, 2020

I think it depends on what country you are writing for. I recently translated to English parts of a tool catalog that had separate translations for three different countries. The one for Argentina used "vos." The ones for Spain and Chile used "tú." There were none for Mexico or Colombia, but if there had been, I think they would use "usted."

Esteban Ossen
neilmac

Esteban Ossen
Esteban Ossen
Argentina
Local time: 04:48
English to Spanish
+ ...
It all depends... Mar 2, 2020

I agree it depends on what country you're writing for. I don't like the informal way, but in tourism related topics it works that way. "Have you made travel plans for 2020?" I will use "has hecho planes de viaje para 2020?" Rather than "hiciste" (vos) or "ha hecho" (usted). It works for Latam and Spain, and it doesn't sound too foreign in Argentina (as porteño native). If possible, in a sentence like "We have selected the best experiences for you based on" I will use "hemos seleccionado las mej... See more
I agree it depends on what country you're writing for. I don't like the informal way, but in tourism related topics it works that way. "Have you made travel plans for 2020?" I will use "has hecho planes de viaje para 2020?" Rather than "hiciste" (vos) or "ha hecho" (usted). It works for Latam and Spain, and it doesn't sound too foreign in Argentina (as porteño native). If possible, in a sentence like "We have selected the best experiences for you based on" I will use "hemos seleccionado las mejores experiencias basándonos en..." thereby avoiding to translate For You (para vos, para usted, para ti).Collapse

Jessica Noyes

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What register to use in a tourist translation from English to Spanish, and why?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »