Nadira Mahgoun
Nadira Mahgoun
Canada
Local time: 12:43
French to Arabic
+ ...
May 28, 2020

Hi
Would any one please explain or tell me how to translate a hyperlink in a word document from French into English?
Is what i am asking belongs to localization?

Thanks for any help.

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 16:43
Danish to English
+ ...
Right-click May 28, 2020

Just right-click on it and select Edit Hyperlink.

It should usually be agreed with the client what to do with hyperlinks. Some want them localised, others not.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro
Aline Amorim
Christine Andersen

Nadira Mahgoun
Nadira Mahgoun
Canada
French to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hyperlink May 28, 2020

Thank you so much
I am grateful.

Eva Stoppa
Eva Stoppa  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 17:43
English to German
+ ...
Surprised to hear May 29, 2020

...that there may be situations where Hyperlinks are localised by the translator. My first thought would have been not to Change it. So I have learned something new again this morning.

Ivana UK

Vesa Korhonen
Vesa Korhonen  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 18:43
English to Finnish
+ ...
Can happen May 29, 2020

Eva Stoppa wrote:

...that there may be situations where Hyperlinks are localised by the translator. My first thought would have been not to Change it. So I have learned something new again this morning.

A couple of times I've received instructions that the client is going to create a new website (or part of it) for the new language to be added using path and file names of the target language. So in those cases it was quite natural to translate the hyperlinks' content. Can help maintaining the site, I guess.

However, if my memory serves me right, the request was to not to use accented characters (such as åäö in my target language), which also seemed reasonable.

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Characters May 29, 2020

Vesa Korhonen wrote:

Eva Stoppa wrote:

A couple of times I've received instructions that the client is going to create a new website (or part of it) for the new language to be added using path and file names of the target language. So in those cases it was quite natural to translate the hyperlinks' content. Can help maintaining the site, I guess.

However, if my memory serves me right, the request was to not to use accented characters (such as åäö in my target language), which also seemed reasonable.

Accented characters are not a problem in the anchor text (the part of the hyperlink that is displayed), but the URL must conform to URL standards.

A home entertainment equipment manufacturer I translate for does want hyperlinks localised, including the URLs. If a guide refers to another URL, the user should quite naturally reach the URL in the relevant language.

But other clients want both the URL and anchor text to remain as there are or possibly the translation added in brackets after the original anchor text.

Vesa Korhonen

Nadira Mahgoun
Nadira Mahgoun
Canada
French to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
hyperlink translated May 29, 2020

Hi again

i faced a problem when i edited the hyperlink, i wanted to test if it works after editing it it dd not open.
so is the editing aims to translate the hyperlink only or it open it as well.

Thank you.

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
And the original hyperlink? May 29, 2020

Did the original hyperlink open? The client may not have published the page yet.

You really need to ask the client about their guidelines for editing hyperlinks.

Giuliana Maltempo

Nadira Mahgoun
Nadira Mahgoun
Canada
French to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hyperlink May 29, 2020

Hi
Yes the original hyperlink opened easily.
Thank you anyway for your help I am going to get back to my client.

Have a nice day.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

translate a hyperlink

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »