Translate or not names of departments and of positions of a company/organization
Thread poster: DIANNE BEREST
DIANNE BEREST
DIANNE BEREST  Identity Verified
Montenegro
Local time: 22:46
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jun 24, 2020

Hello everyone. I've gotten to that point in a lengthy translation where my brain is just a bit fried. Should we or should we not translate names of departments and positions within an organization? For example: XXX's Global Communications team should review materials prior to submission to the donor agency. ("Global Communications" is always capitalized in the original document, thus I understand it to be the name of the department.) And: If you have questions about interviews or press rele... See more
Hello everyone. I've gotten to that point in a lengthy translation where my brain is just a bit fried. Should we or should we not translate names of departments and positions within an organization? For example: XXX's Global Communications team should review materials prior to submission to the donor agency. ("Global Communications" is always capitalized in the original document, thus I understand it to be the name of the department.) And: If you have questions about interviews or press releases, contact XXX's Public Relations Director at [email protected] (This is for a US English to Latin American Spanish translation, if that makes any difference.)

Thanks!
Collapse

WS McCallum
WS McCallum
New Zealand
Local time: 10:46
French to English
Name fatigue Jun 25, 2020

DIANNE BEREST wrote:

Hello everyone. I've gotten to that point in a lengthy translation where my brain is just a bit fried. Should we or should we not translate names of departments and positions within an organization? For example: XXX's Global Communications team should review materials prior to submission to the donor agency. ("Global Communications" is always capitalized in the original document, thus I understand it to be the name of the department.) And: If you have questions about interviews or press releases, contact XXX's Public Relations Director at [email protected] (This is for a US English to Latin American Spanish translation, if that makes any difference.)

Thanks!

Hello Dianne,

Yes, I know that feeling too - I call it "name fatigue".

I ask myself the following sorts of questions when dealing with naming such structures -maybe these will help you reach a decision:

1) What is the standing practice within the organisation - what have they done in past documents? (feel free to ask them, if possible)

2) What is the dominant nationality within the organisation?

4) Is there a substantial non-local workforce within the organisation?

3) Who is the document targeted at?

Sometimes I have had to translate corporate documents explaining things to short-contract foreign workers working within, say a French company in France, in which case the people in question definitely need to know the French along with the English name (a) so they can find the office and (b) so they understand what department they are dealing with.

Sometimes I have left departmental names in French because the people receiving the document are managers who have already worked there for years and already know the name, even if they may not speak French.

It's a tricky one. Hopefully these questions will help you come to a decision.

Elfi Liu
Christine Andersen
Alison Jenner
Philippe Etienne
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Marina Steinbach
Marina Steinbach
United States
Local time: 17:46
Member (2011)
English to German
Been there, done that. Jun 25, 2020

Hi Dianne,

I've gotten to that point in a lengthy translation where my brain is just a bit fried.

Been there, done that.

Should we or should we not translate names of departments and positions within an organization?

As a general rule, translate. However, in English source texts well-known titles are normally not translated. I would keep it in English, e.g. xxx Global Communications team or Public Relations Director at [email protected].

I hope this helps and you will find a little sleep,
Marina

Christine Andersen
Aline Amorim

DIANNE BEREST
DIANNE BEREST  Identity Verified
Montenegro
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks guys! Jun 25, 2020

Thanks Marina and WS, first for the understanding and secondly for the points to consider and suggestions. Much appreciated!

Robin LEPLUMEY
Robin LEPLUMEY
France
English to French
+ ...
Ask the client Jun 25, 2020

Hi Dianne,

I think the best rule is to ask the client whether they want it translated or not

Rob

Sylvia Avila Cacho
Philippe Etienne
Kang Seok Lee

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Check the client's website Jun 25, 2020

It may depend on your languages.

No need to repeat WS McCallum's advice!

I translate from Danish into English, and practically all departments and positions have an official English version, which they expect in translations, and may not be the same from one company to another. Many of my clients have an English website, and the Contact tab is a useful place to check in many cases. It is a great help to get an idea of the client's preferred terminology and what they cal
... See more
It may depend on your languages.

No need to repeat WS McCallum's advice!

I translate from Danish into English, and practically all departments and positions have an official English version, which they expect in translations, and may not be the same from one company to another. Many of my clients have an English website, and the Contact tab is a useful place to check in many cases. It is a great help to get an idea of the client's preferred terminology and what they call their products and services.

LinkedIn is sometimes useful for positions. Even the obvious ones like CEO! I recently found one client preferred Admin. Dir. for reasons best known to themselves.

The situation may be entirely different when you are translating into Spanish, of course.
Collapse

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 21:46
Danish to English
+ ...
Ask the client Jun 25, 2020

Danish end clients often do not want such English titles and departments translated. You really need to ask the client.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translate or not names of departments and of positions of a company/organization

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »