Ute Neumaier
Ute Neumaier  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 11:08
Member (2008)
Spanish to German
+ ...
Aug 6, 2020

Hi, I have been working for three years with Trados on Mac/Parallels and I am really fed up. It always creates unforeseen problems and SDL does not give support for the MAC OS, Parallels gives good support, but still. I would so much like to get rid of the Windows installation on my Mac. Talking to colleagues I heard unfortunately, that Trados is still the CAT Tool, which most of the clients want to work with. I am also working with Wordfast, which is great, but many clients do not use it. So I ... See more
Hi, I have been working for three years with Trados on Mac/Parallels and I am really fed up. It always creates unforeseen problems and SDL does not give support for the MAC OS, Parallels gives good support, but still. I would so much like to get rid of the Windows installation on my Mac. Talking to colleagues I heard unfortunately, that Trados is still the CAT Tool, which most of the clients want to work with. I am also working with Wordfast, which is great, but many clients do not use it. So I wanted to get some recommendations, what else I could use and what is accepted by (many) clients too. I recently heard about the Online Editor for Trados 2021 but speaking to the support, I do not think that it is a good alternative, because for certain cases (like receiving packages) I would still need the desktop version. Is there a tool other than Trados, but which can handle Trados files (to get a kind of workaround, in case that one of my client's insists?) If that does not exist, what is the best alternative in your eyes? I am not looking for a free of charge or especially cheep alternative, but an alternative, which clients will accept and which will run on my Mac. Thanks a lot and looking forward to hearing from you.
Ute
Collapse

Amornrat Friend

Annie Estéphan
Annie Estéphan  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 06:08
Member (2010)
English to French
+ ...
memoQ Aug 6, 2020

Most of my clients don't use Trados anymore, memoQ is the way to go

Ute Neumaier
Germany
Member (2008)
Spanish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your reply Annie, but memoQ will also require either Parallels or VMware etc. Aug 6, 2020

Annie Estéphan wrote:

Most of my clients don't use Trados anymore, memoQ is the way to go

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:08
Member (2008)
Italian to English
CafeTran Aug 6, 2020

I've been having a good experience with CafeTran, which I find very Mac-friendly and is native (no virtual machine necessary) - my clients don't care what CAT tool I use as long as I deliver a good translation on time

All CAT tools do one thing (translate); the only difference is in how they do it.

[Edited at 2020-08-06 19:32 GMT]

Hans Lenting
Wolfgang Schoene

Monica RW
Monica RW
Member (2015)
English to Polish
+ ...
Trados on Mac Aug 7, 2020

Trados 2021, which will be available this year, is finally ready for Mac - this is what I've been told. All my customers use Trados, so I cannot and do not want to get rid of it, however, I am waiting rather impatiently for the new issue for Mac.

María Toresani

Ute Neumaier
Germany
Member (2008)
Spanish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Unfortunately the Online Editor for Trados will not deliver exactly the same as the Desktop Trados Aug 7, 2020

MonicaRW wrote:

Trados 2021, which will be available this year, is finally ready for Mac - this is what I've been told. All my customers use Trados, so I cannot and do not want to get rid of it, however, I am waiting rather impatiently for the new issue for Mac.

Hi Monica,
thanks for your reply. I was hoping the same and checked that yesterday with the support.
Here is a part of the answer:

--------------------------------------------------

Currently you cannot create projects in Cloud using a package.
Only source files are accepted. So if you receive a package then this will need to be open in Studio and worked there using Parallels.

There are a lot of addons on https://appstore.sdl.com/ which only work in Studio, they will not work in the Online Editor.

The Online Editor can be used Vertical or Horizontal, Studio has only Vertical mode, e.g. translated text is on the right side of the source. For Horizontal mode this is bellow the source.

As for the release details more will be available after the launch. Currently if you have a license for Studio 2021 you will also receive a free subscription for Language Cloud Online Editor for 12 months.
During this time you can check freely how the Online Editor works.

Getting rid of Parallels depends on the customer way of working, if they send you packages then Studio will still be needed.
They can also send you work using Language Cloud where you could work in the browser without using Studio.

I would suggest to check the help and announcements we will release soon which should explain in more details how this will work. "

That is why I am still looking for another option for Mac. I hope you are not disappointed now. But maybye it is good for you, if your clients do not send you packages.

Good luck. Monica!

[Edited at 2020-08-07 07:41 GMT]

Ute Neumaier
Germany
Member (2008)
Spanish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
yes, but many clients deliver Trados files Aug 7, 2020

Tom in London wrote:

I've been having a good experience with CafeTran, which I find very Mac-friendly and is native (no virtual machine necessary) - my clients don't care what CAT tool I use as long as I deliver a good translation on time

All CAT tools do one thing (translate); the only difference is in how they do it.

[Edited at 2020-08-06 19:32 GMT]

HI Tom,
thanks for your reply. I will look out for this. But for cases, in which the client leaves it up to me how I work, sends an original file and wants it back in the original format, I can also use Wordfast, which runs on Mac.

But in most of the cases my clients send a Trados file and want me to deliver it back unclean in the same format. That is why I was looking for a tool which is common/accepted by clients, which runs on Mac (and which possibly can handle Trados files too). I think to remember that memoQ can handle Trados files, but again, on a Mac it has to be run on a virtual machine.

Have a nice day!

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
CafeTran Espresso for sure Aug 7, 2020

Hello Ute,

I've been using CafeTran Espresso for the last 10 years on several Macs. Currently I'm using it on an iMac 27" Retina and a 13" MacBook Pro Retina:

https://www.proz.com/forum/cat_tools_technical_help/338258-first_look_at_the_user_interfaces_of_several_cat_tools.html

As a
... See more
Hello Ute,

I've been using CafeTran Espresso for the last 10 years on several Macs. Currently I'm using it on an iMac 27" Retina and a 13" MacBook Pro Retina:

https://www.proz.com/forum/cat_tools_technical_help/338258-first_look_at_the_user_interfaces_of_several_cat_tools.html

As a paying member of Proz, you can use CafeTran Espresso for free during the Corona pandemic.

When life returns to normal (if ever), you can buy a license at a decent price:

https://www.cafetran.com/get-cafetran/

Or you can upgrade your Proz membership to the Plus package and get access to CafeTran Espresso too. The great advantage of this solution is that you don't need a licence key, since licensing is handled via a Proz server:

https://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_translator_coop/308845-plus_features_basket_item_1_cafetran_espresso.html

From Andrea Halbritter's blog:

The developer of CafeTran Espresso was very open for my suggestions and wishes. I now benefit every working day from the great features, the ergonomic program interface and the uncomplicated workflows.

There is no loss of time due to database import for me: All resources (glossaries, translation memories) are integrated in text or TMX format.

'Global' changes in the current project, the glossaries and translation memories with automatic adjustment of upper and lower case are very practical and time-saving, especially for subsequent projects. In a few seconds I correct 5 different terms for the same machine part in all project files and resources. Everything nicely consistent.

The integration in macOS is excellent: Glossaries are directly searchable via Spotlight search.

I'd like to add that the processing of Studio packages is excellent. Embedded memories and termbases are opened and used by CafeTran Espresso.

When all works out, I'll be giving a German webinar about CafeTran Espresso for ADÜ Nord on September, 16 (18:00 Berlin time):

https://adue-nord.de/veranstaltung/webinarreihe-cat-tools-zum-kennenlernen/2020-08-24/

So, is it all perfect with CafeTran Espresso and SDL Studio? Alas not ... There is one feature that we are missing still: the ability to process Tracking changes in Studio files. As far as I know, you'll still need Studio (or memoQ) for these. However, if you don't have to deal with Tracking changes in your work, I'd say: go ahead!

I read that you've been using WFP on Mac and like to add that the Mac integration, flexibility and set of really useful features of CafeTran Espresso exceeds those of WFP by far. For instance the use of floating windows on several screens is a great feature that will allow you to create an ergonomic workplace. In my opinion, WFP's functionality is only very limited, whereas it adds several layers of complexity and forces the user to use the not very ergonomic window layout.

[Edited at 2020-08-07 09:14 GMT]
Collapse

Wolfgang Schoene

Ute Neumaier
Germany
Member (2008)
Spanish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks for all the information and the helpful links Aug 7, 2020

[quote]Hans Lenting wrote:

Hello Ute,

When all works out, I'll be giving a webinar about CafeTran Espresso for ADÜ Nord in September:

https://adue-nord.de/veranstaltung/webinarreihe-cat-tools-zum-kennenlernen/2020-08-24/

So, is it all perfect with CafeTran Espresso and SDL Studio? Alas not ... There is one feature that we are missing still: the ability to process Tracking changes in Studio files. As far as I know, you'll still need Studio (or memoQ) for these. However, if you don't have to deal with Tracking changes in your work, I'd say: go ahead!

I read that you've been using WFP on Mac and like to add that the Mac integration, flexibility and set of really useful features of CafeTran Espresso exceeds those of WFP by far. For instance the use of floating windows on several screens is a great feature that will allow you to create an ergonomic workplace. In my opinion, WFP is very limited.

Hi Hans, thank you so much for your comprehensive reply and all the helpful links. I will definitely will participate in the seminar in September and will start testing it. I really appreciate all the information, also regarding the workflow with Trados files. That really looks like a solution to get rid of Parallels and Desktop Trados on my Mac (eventually I could work, if really necessary with the Trados 2021 Online Editor, I will see that).

Thank you so much and have a nice weekend! Best Ute

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
@Ute Aug 7, 2020

Ute Neumaier wrote:

I will definitely will participate in the seminar in September and will start testing it.

The German webinar has now been scheduled on September, 16, at 18:00 Berlin time. It will only take place if enough participants subscribe.

That really looks like a solution to get rid of Parallels and Desktop Trados on my Mac (eventually I could work, if really necessary with the Trados 2021 Online Editor, I will see that).

Personally, I'd always keep a working version of Windows on board of my Mac, but I can asure you that you won't use Parallels very often anymore, once you have migrated to CafeTran Espresso on Mac .

Oh, I forgot one use case:

Screenshot 2020-08-07 at 11.21.05

You'll need SDL Studio for them. But hey, if your clients don't offer them, don't worry.

BTW: The older SDL WorldServer projects can be download with Safari and handled with CafeTran Espresso.

Re: Tracking changes, it might be a good idea to handle them in the forthcoming web version of Studio.

Marjolein Snippe
Marjolein Snippe  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2012)
English to Dutch
+ ...
file conversion Aug 7, 2020

Ute Neumaier wrote:

But in most of the cases my clients send a Trados file and want me to deliver it back unclean in the same format.

Have a nice day!

In most cases, when I receive Trados files from clients, I can process them in Wordfast and deliver the sdlxliff (plus TM in tmx format if required).
If they send me a Trados project, I let them know that I will extract the sdlxliff files and return the translation as an sdlxliff file (as I cannot convert this back to a Trados project). Most of my clients are happy with this. I convert Term bases and TMs to a suitable format for use in Wordfast.

In a few cases, clients do insist the work be carried out in Trados as their client requires this, or to facilitate the workflow. Also, I don't think changes I make to the files in Wordfast are visible as Tracked changes in the final file when opened in Trados. In these cases, sadly, I can't help the client and they turn to someone else.

Wolfgang Schoene
Wolfgang Schoene  Identity Verified
France
English to German
+ ...
Studio on Mac? Aug 7, 2020

MonicaRW wrote:

Can you please elaborate? I preordered Studio 2021 and nowhere it was stated it would run on a Mac without Parallels. Who told you this? IMHO this is fake news. Not blaming you, of course.

Binyam Tadele

Philippe Locquet
Philippe Locquet  Identity Verified
Portugal
English to French
+ ...
Native or web Aug 7, 2020

Hi,

This is always a difficult approach.

It all depends on the workflow you have with your agencies. Do they send you packges? Do they send you bilinguals xliffs? Do they send you bilinguals docx or rtfs?
Do they expect you to work from the source file only?
What about TMs? Do they send you some? Glossaries?
What type of layout you like in your CAT? How tech-savvy are you?

These are important questions and depend on how you want to work an
... See more
Hi,

This is always a difficult approach.

It all depends on the workflow you have with your agencies. Do they send you packges? Do they send you bilinguals xliffs? Do they send you bilinguals docx or rtfs?
Do they expect you to work from the source file only?
What about TMs? Do they send you some? Glossaries?
What type of layout you like in your CAT? How tech-savvy are you?

These are important questions and depend on how you want to work and how comfortable you are with convertions. Because many, many things are possible. I have worked for years with agencies that relied on SDL and I was using Wordfast Anywhere (web-based). Never had major issues. Off-course, you need to know what you’re doing and understand what workflow the agency is expecting so you can adapt and deliver accordingly.

While you consider the questions above -which I think are essential- I’ll throw in a few tips that may or may not be useful to you depending on what you’re looking for.
_Native:
Wordfast Pro runs natively on Mac and can import SDL projects. AFAIK sdlxliff and mqxliff are supported. You can review bilinguals with it. It’s the best rounded up solution running natively on Mac.
Then you have Wordfast Classic that runs natively on Mac too (within MS Word). If your work is mainly docx, this is a great visual interface with all CATS bells and whistles (TM, Gloss, MT, QA, remote TMs etc.). If you like that style, it is excellent.
Café Tran: I didn’t know it runs natively on Mac!
_VM:
If you want to use a lighter VM, you could run Linux in a VM. Then OmegaT or Wordfast pro will run in Linux. A lighter VMs means less stress on the host machine, thus increasing speed. (Requires some knowledge although not too technical)
_Web-based:
You have many options. As a rule of thumb IMO, CATs that have been developed from scratch web-based are far better than those that were first on desktop and created a web counterpart. Here are a few names: Wordfast Anywhere, Matecat, XTM etc. I personally prefer WFA, it is very powerful (I have plenty of videos on my YouTube channel about it).

And there are probably many more options. If you know exactly what your needs are, then, it will be easier to narrow the field.

Hope this helps
Collapse

María Toresani

Ute Neumaier
Germany
Member (2008)
Spanish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Back luck, I just starte with a client, who either sends packages or wants me to work in Groupshare. Aug 7, 2020

You'll need SDL Studio for them. But hey, if your clients don't offer them, don't worry.

That is indeed bad, because this client wants me to work with packages or with Groupshare.

I will see....

Philippe Locquet
Philippe Locquet  Identity Verified
Portugal
English to French
+ ...
That is restrictive Aug 7, 2020

Ute Neumaier wrote:

That is indeed bad, because this client wants me to work with packages or with Groupshare.

I will see....

A package is just a zip with a different extension name. What you need to know is what they want you to deliver. Because that can be done outside of Trados to a certain extent (requires a 5 mins process on incoming and 10 mins process on return). I have a video on it here: https://youtu.be/a4ZGeAjTl2M (if you know how to it locally, you may not need the GDrive step).

Groupshare... well I don't know ways around this, maybe some in the community will.

If you're trying to find ways around this for 1 customer only, you'll have to weight pros and cons and return on investment. If you go Windows PC, I wouldn't recommend running CAT on a machine with less than 8 GB of RAM, SSD is a must and quad-core CPU (8 threads) to have a good user experience.

Tough choices...

María Toresani

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Best alternative for Trados 2019 ( on Mac) which is used/appreciated by clients

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »