Philippe Locquet  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 18:09
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
You rock! May 6, 2019

Michael Beijer wrote:

Btw, I got Wordfast Server working with memoQ last night. Will post more details today sometime, but in a nutshell: I am getting hits from my WFS TM on Laptop 1 (the ‘Server’) from inside memoQ 8.7 on Laptop 2 (the ‘Client’)! Didn't even need to mess with port forwarding as the two computers are on the same LAN.

Michael

I really look forward to this about MemoQ, nice job!
Yes you are right in most cases, it can work well with a lot less setup and network knowledge as one would think:
_port-forwarding isn't needed in most cases
_No need to mess with router if connecting on same LAN
_Fixed IP can be skipped in many situations

BTW (I guess you've noticed this already), you don't need the API key with the full IP address when within the same LAN, selecting the one in the drop-down with the host computer's name is fine.

Plus, if your host computer is not post WWI era you should be getting lightning-fast hits.
I don't know how well concordance works with the Memo-Q plugin, I've tried it extensively with WF products and I was very happy with the results (concordance etc.)

Have a good one

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Beep beep! May 6, 2019

WFS-memoQ

More info tomorrow, am up against a deadline

Michael

// bigger picture @ https://beijer.egnyte.com/dl/yJzVwrrm7i

[Edited at 2019-05-06 22:29 GMT]

Philippe Locquet

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
you don't have to run the Server and Client on two different computers May 6, 2019

They can both run on the same one. Cool!

Michael

Philippe Locquet

Philippe Locquet
Portugal
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Same computer May 6, 2019

Michael Beijer wrote:

They can both run on the same one. Cool!

Michael

Correct!
I was planning on mentioning this in the video, since the use cases are limited when having the server and the client (CAT tool) on the same computer, I think it's foolproof way to see if TMs and glossaries have been correctly setup.
This is a good first step before LAN and then WAN.

If you want to test WAN, a simple client is to connect your Server TM in a Wordfast Anywhere session. If it works, it means you have a successful WAN setup.

BTW, once you have a TM in server (has to be in wftm format), you can append other TMs to the same TM directly in TMX, no need to convert yet again (saves time).

Good night!

Philippe Locquet
Portugal
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Foolproof method online! May 9, 2019

Hi to all, I have now managed to create this video (been a bit of a marathon), I tried to build it in a way that is foolproof I hope.

If you follow all the steps in the video and pause as you go, you should be up and running in around 20 minutes.
Let me know if this worked for you!

In this video we connect within the same computer. This is a good way to detect if everything has been setup correctly.
If it works for you, it means you’re ready for the next
... See more
Hi to all, I have now managed to create this video (been a bit of a marathon), I tried to build it in a way that is foolproof I hope.

If you follow all the steps in the video and pause as you go, you should be up and running in around 20 minutes.
Let me know if this worked for you!

In this video we connect within the same computer. This is a good way to detect if everything has been setup correctly.
If it works for you, it means you’re ready for the next step: connect from a different computer and connect from outside your home network. This will be discussed in the following videos.

If you have questions or suggestions for the next one, be sure to let me know.
If you find this useful, please show it! Leave a like under the video, subscribe, leave a comment, share the video etc. 😉

Link to the video:
https://youtu.be/3WtVV2PlaS8

My bests
Collapse

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
quick screencast demonstrating using Wordfast TM plugin inside memoQ 8.7 (it works!) May 9, 2019

And here is my little video, where I demonstrate using the Wordfast TM plugin inside memoQ 8.7. The former (the ‘Server’) is running on a (low spec) laptop in another room, the latter (the ‘Client’) on my work laptop. As usual, I did this in the middle of a real job, so don't expect anything fancy. Just wanted to show people it actually works, and actually works really well.

The Wordfast Server TM I used in the video contains 2,500,000 TUs, but if the specs can be believed,
... See more
And here is my little video, where I demonstrate using the Wordfast TM plugin inside memoQ 8.7. The former (the ‘Server’) is running on a (low spec) laptop in another room, the latter (the ‘Client’) on my work laptop. As usual, I did this in the middle of a real job, so don't expect anything fancy. Just wanted to show people it actually works, and actually works really well.

The Wordfast Server TM I used in the video contains 2,500,000 TUs, but if the specs can be believed, WFS can handle individual TMs with up to … a BILLION TUs!

The video is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2m8bt8oJgs&hd=1

it-works

Michael

PS: for some reason I haven't been able to get the 64-bit version of WFS working properly yet with the Wordfast TM plugin in memoQ, so what yr looking at in the video is the 32-bit version. pretty impressive.

[Edited at 2019-05-09 21:53 GMT]
Collapse

Philippe Locquet

Philippe Locquet
Portugal
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Good work! May 10, 2019

Michael Beijer wrote:

The Wordfast Server TM I used in the video contains 2,500,000 TUs, but if the specs can be believed, WFS can handle individual TMs with up to … a BILLION TUs!

That was a very interesting screencast! Thanks!
I'm playing to see if I manage to get a 1Billion TUs TM working in WFS and see the behaviour. It takes a while to get this ready as manipulations on such massive files take a toll on CPU and RAM. If my hardware handles it, I'll report back!

There have been a few updates, so the trouble you're having with the 64 bits may come from an earlier version.
If you're downloading from Chrome, try with a different browser or clear the cache. Chrome has the tendency to serve you cache from the web (even for downloads) instead of updated content.

My bests

Philippe Locquet
Portugal
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Bring on the millions! May 11, 2019

Fi2 n Co wrote:

I'm playing to see if I manage to get a 1Billion TUs TM working in WFS and see the behaviour. It takes a while to get this ready as manipulations on such massive files take a toll on CPU and RAM. If my hardware handles it, I'll report back!

So I started to work on this. So far I reached 27 millions TUs, it works.
The problem lies in the preparation work, estimates are that a 1 Billion TUs TM would be around 500 Gb in .txt format. Wordfast Server would run it, yet to index it before connecting it to the Server, it would require between 64Gb and 128 Gb of RAM. We're leaving the regular translator realm at that stage...

Yet, on my humble laptop, I have a 27 millions TUs translation Memory running, (in Demo mode, so free for a freelancer).
Who can say this... ?

It's 8Gb in size, enjoy the screenshot:

Big-TM

My bests

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
am currently at 13,757,529 TUs May 11, 2019

27 million, wow! Very impressive.

I'm slowly feeding all my TMs (which I estimate at around 50,000,000 TUs) into my HOTEL CALIFORNIA* master TM, and am currently at 13,757,529 TUs. The reason it is taking a long time is I also want to have some usable metadata, specifically userid, so I can see where hits come from when working in memoQ.

HOTEL CALIFORNIA

*‘You can check out any time you like
But you can never leave!’

–Hotel California, Eagles

PS: I got the 64-bit version working fine now, and have also gotten it to work on a single PC, as well as over the LAN now work. haven't tested WAN yet.

[Edited at 2019-05-11 15:34 GMT]

[Edited at 2019-05-12 14:15 GMT]

Philippe Locquet

Philippe Locquet
Portugal
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
To boldly go where no TM has gone before… RAM, the last frontier! May 23, 2019

Hi all,

So, I decided to try and test how far I could go TM wise.
Why? Because why not (live long and prosper 😉).

So, I gathered in the neighborhood of 100 millions TUs (one single TM of 25GB).
I connected that to my Wordfast Server, and asked it to reorganize. It did so happily (takes around 72 hours though…).
The problem was the lack of RAM (I have 8 GB on my rig), when it sensed that it was using up the RAM, it went into disk writing only and
... See more
Hi all,

So, I decided to try and test how far I could go TM wise.
Why? Because why not (live long and prosper 😉).

So, I gathered in the neighborhood of 100 millions TUs (one single TM of 25GB).
I connected that to my Wordfast Server, and asked it to reorganize. It did so happily (takes around 72 hours though…).
The problem was the lack of RAM (I have 8 GB on my rig), when it sensed that it was using up the RAM, it went into disk writing only and kept working, amazing!!!
So knowing that everything worked fine and I would have needed a little more available RAM, I concluded that my test was a success and pulled the plug.

So to handle 100 Million TUs, WF Server will require a little over 4GB or RAM available at the end of the process. This means that to tackle this, you need 16 GB on a regular workstation (if you run in on a Windows Server OS, you shouldn’t run this fast into RAM issues, but we all know the story with unwanted background process on Win 10 consumer OS…).

Conclusion: anything under 90 millions TUs will happily run on a consumer grade Windows workstation with 8 GB of RAM.

If your workstation has only 4 GB of RAM, my guess is that you can go up to 70 millions TUs, but I haven’t tried it.

Hard Disk space: For this test I used and external drive to leave room for the TM (25GB) and the indexing files (around 4GB). No issues with this, besides when WFS stopped caching everything in the RAM and went into disk mode, my hard drive usage climbed up, as you would expect.

Check this out:
90-millions

Final words:
If you’ve got the gear, Wordfast Server is virtually limitless!

My bests 😊
Collapse

Philippe Locquet
Portugal
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Laptop and desktop use case Jul 4, 2019

Hello to all,

While helping out on a forum, I just thought of a use case that would make sense for many, so I'll add it here.

Translator has a laptop and a secondary computer that stays at home (i.e. a desktop computer)
The translator wants to be able to translate on the go with the laptop but internet coverage is expected to not be reliable all the time while translating.

In this case, the user could install Wordfast Server on the laptop.
On th
... See more
Hello to all,

While helping out on a forum, I just thought of a use case that would make sense for many, so I'll add it here.

Translator has a laptop and a secondary computer that stays at home (i.e. a desktop computer)
The translator wants to be able to translate on the go with the laptop but internet coverage is expected to not be reliable all the time while translating.

In this case, the user could install Wordfast Server on the laptop.
On the laptop, the user needs to run a CAT tool that can connect to Wordfast Server (Wordfast Pro 5 or 3, Wordfast Classic or Memo Q).
Then the CAT tool is made to connect to TMs and Glossaries in WF Server on the same laptop.

At home, the desktop has an install of a CAT tool that can connect to Wordfast Server (Wordfast Pro 5 or 3, Wordfast Classic or Memo Q).
The CAT tool on the desktop computer is made to connect to TMs and Glossaries in WF Server (hosted on the laptop).
The connection is made over the home network (wifi or ethernet).

In effect, TMs and glossaries are always tapped and updated while on the go (laptop) and when back home sitting at the desktop computer, access is made to the same TMs and Glossaries to tap into them and update them.

Simple enough system, easy maintenance and quite reliable. Not too bad I think

Hope this helps,

My bests
Collapse

Philippe Locquet
Portugal
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
MemoQ 9.4.8 Jul 17, 2020

Hello to all that have been following this thread.

I've been doing some testing in MemoQ 9.4.8 to connect to Wordfast Server. Something seems not to be working.

Anybody else out there using the connector on MemoQ 9.4.8? The connector layout is pretty different than other ones. Does it work in this version of MemoQ?

My bests

Philippe Locquet
Portugal
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Free SDL 2019 plugin for Wordfast Server! Jul 20, 2020

Hello to all

Good news, I’m finished publishing a plugin in SDL 2019 for Wordfast Server! It’s free, enjoy it!
I also just published a tutorial on YouTube so you can set it up fast.
Just as a reminder, freelancers can use Wordfast Server for free in Demo Mode for up to 3 simultaneous connections.
For associations, agencies, LSPs etc. you can go up to infinite simultaneous connections depending on your needs and price plan.

Watch the tutorial here:<
... See more
Hello to all

Good news, I’m finished publishing a plugin in SDL 2019 for Wordfast Server! It’s free, enjoy it!
I also just published a tutorial on YouTube so you can set it up fast.
Just as a reminder, freelancers can use Wordfast Server for free in Demo Mode for up to 3 simultaneous connections.
For associations, agencies, LSPs etc. you can go up to infinite simultaneous connections depending on your needs and price plan.

Watch the tutorial here:
https://youtu.be/kW8mHrb27Es

Download the plugin and the manual for the plugin here:
https://appstore.sdl.com/language/app/simple-wfs-connector/1098/
Please rate this plugin.

If you have questions, let me know.
Enjoy!
Collapse

Philippe Locquet
Portugal
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Update on Memo-Q issue Jul 23, 2020

Philippe Locquet wrote:

Hello to all that have been following this thread.

I've been doing some testing in MemoQ 9.4.8 to connect to Wordfast Server. Something seems not to be working.

Anybody else out there using the connector on MemoQ 9.4.8? The connector layout is pretty different than other ones. Does it work in this version of MemoQ?

My bests

I have contacted MemoQ support and it seems there is an issue with the Wordfast Server connector they made in this version. They are fixing it, so hopefully I'll get to play with it soon

JC BAILBE
JC BAILBE
Argentina
English to French
+ ...
SDL client with WFS - Wow! Jul 23, 2020

Hey there,
Great job. Given the WFS is so powerful and easy to administer, it is absolutely fantastic that such a connector exist. I have tested it today and it works like a charm (maybe think of the case of Workgroup ID being supported, even if Workgroup ID is rarely used on the WFS?), even with an encrypted TM on the server side.
Brilliant!
Many thanks again.

Philippe Locquet

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

A Wordfast Server thread at last!

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »