Microsoft Translator with Wordfast Pro 5: problem entering key from Azure
Thread poster: Peter Kovacik
Peter Kovacik
Peter Kovacik  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:14
Arabic to English
Aug 29, 2020

I set up an account for Microsoft Azure and created a subscription for Microsoft Translator, but I am having trouble linking it with Wordfast Pro 5 on Windows 10.

When I attempted to enable Microsoft Translator in Wordfast, it asks for the key. To find it, I went to my resources for translation in Azure, and there is a tab called "Keys and Endpoint", which contains two keys to access the API. However, neither of these keys worked when I entered them into Wordfast.

Is t
... See more
I set up an account for Microsoft Azure and created a subscription for Microsoft Translator, but I am having trouble linking it with Wordfast Pro 5 on Windows 10.

When I attempted to enable Microsoft Translator in Wordfast, it asks for the key. To find it, I went to my resources for translation in Azure, and there is a tab called "Keys and Endpoint", which contains two keys to access the API. However, neither of these keys worked when I entered them into Wordfast.

Is there anything that I need to do in Azure to activate the keys, or is there another key I should enter?
Collapse

David Daduč
David Daduč
Czech Republic
Local time: 13:14
English to Czech
Details in Azure? Aug 29, 2020

When you go to Keys and Endpoint in your Congnitive Services resource in Azure, what endpoint and location are there? Here is what I can see there, right below my keys:

Endpoint: https://api.cognitive.microsofttranslator.com/

(Or are you using API keys created in Key Vaults in Azure? I don't think those can be used in W
... See more
When you go to Keys and Endpoint in your Congnitive Services resource in Azure, what endpoint and location are there? Here is what I can see there, right below my keys:

Endpoint: https://api.cognitive.microsofttranslator.com/

(Or are you using API keys created in Key Vaults in Azure? I don't think those can be used in Wordfast, at least for the time being.)

Also, if you go to Payment Method in your subscription (mine is Pay-As-You-Go) in Azure, have you got an active payment method there? I believe it's necessary, even if the Azure service you are using is free.
Collapse

Philippe Locquet

Peter Kovacik
United States
Arabic to English
TOPIC STARTER
not able to select global Aug 30, 2020

Hi David,

I think that region might be the issue. I attempted to select global for the region when I set it up, but I received an error and picked North Central US since that is where I live. The problem is that Azure Products by Region lists MS Translator as having non-regional availability.

[Edited at 2020-08-30 05:26 GMT]

David Daduč
David Daduč
Czech Republic
English to Czech
How to create global Microsoft Translate API key Aug 30, 2020

I have just tried creating a new API key. I could not create a global key for Cognitive Services. But I was able to create a global API key for Translator. Try the following to do the same.

In Azure home, type Translator in the search field at the top. Click Translator under Marketplace. Follow the steps to create the resource. Hopefully, you will be able to select “Global” for region, just as I was (in fact, Azure recommended “Global” for Tran
... See more
I have just tried creating a new API key. I could not create a global key for Cognitive Services. But I was able to create a global API key for Translator. Try the following to do the same.

In Azure home, type Translator in the search field at the top. Click Translator under Marketplace. Follow the steps to create the resource. Hopefully, you will be able to select “Global” for region, just as I was (in fact, Azure recommended “Global” for Translator).

When the resource is created, you will find your API keys under Keys and Endpoint. When you use one of the keys in Wordfast, I hope it will work!
Collapse

Philippe Locquet

Peter Kovacik
United States
Arabic to English
TOPIC STARTER
it works Sep 5, 2020

Thank you for the help. I was able to get Microsoft Translator to work when I created the resource with:

Resource group region - Central US
Resource region - Global

The problem occurred when I entered global for both the resource group and the resource region, which gave me the following message:

{"message":"The provided location 'global' is not available for resource group.... (edit: end of error message deleted.)

In addition, I
... See more
Thank you for the help. I was able to get Microsoft Translator to work when I created the resource with:

Resource group region - Central US
Resource region - Global

The problem occurred when I entered global for both the resource group and the resource region, which gave me the following message:

{"message":"The provided location 'global' is not available for resource group.... (edit: end of error message deleted.)

In addition, I added my debit card information even though I am using the free pricing tier (up to 2M characters translated per month).

[Edited at 2020-09-05 04:40 GMT]

[Edited at 2020-09-05 15:48 GMT]

[Edited at 2020-09-05 19:40 GMT]
Collapse

Philippe Locquet

David Daduč
David Daduč
Czech Republic
English to Czech
Thanks for confirming it helped Sep 5, 2020

Many thanks for letting us all know it helped and how exactly you created your MS API key. I hope it will help others.

Philippe Locquet

Santino Mattia
Santino Mattia  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:14
Spanish to English
+ ...
Attempting to do this for Wordfast Anywhere in January 2024. Jan 27

Hello, I have the same exact issue as you did over 3 years ago. I already added my resource group region as Central US and resource region as Global. I got an HTTP 400 error code when trying to add the MT engine in Wordfast Anywhere. I just submitted a report to Wordfast Anywhere, but I figured I'd post this here to see if anyone else has figured this out or still has this problem. Thank you!

[Edit ~12 hrs later] Never mind! My problem adding my key has been resolved. Wordfast Anywh
... See more
Hello, I have the same exact issue as you did over 3 years ago. I already added my resource group region as Central US and resource region as Global. I got an HTTP 400 error code when trying to add the MT engine in Wordfast Anywhere. I just submitted a report to Wordfast Anywhere, but I figured I'd post this here to see if anyone else has figured this out or still has this problem. Thank you!

[Edit ~12 hrs later] Never mind! My problem adding my key has been resolved. Wordfast Anywhere Support has already gotten back to me and told me it is a bug of version 7, but that it should work in version 6. I just tried my key in 6 and it worked. They're going to work to fix the bug in 7.

[Edited at 2024-01-28 11:40 GMT]
Collapse

Philippe Locquet

Philippe Locquet
Philippe Locquet  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 12:14
English to French
+ ...
Fast Jan 28

Santino Mattia wrote:

Wordfast Anywhere Support has already gotten back to me and told me it is a bug of version 7, but that it should work in version 6. I just tried my key in 6 and it worked. They're going to work to fix the bug in 7.

[Edited at 2024-01-28 11:40 GMT]

Yes, for WFA, the devs are lightning fast, contacting them is the best thing to do.
There's also a dedicated chat group with knowledgeable people on it https://groups.io/g/wordfast-anywhere

Santino Mattia

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Microsoft Translator with Wordfast Pro 5: problem entering key from Azure

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »