Latest version of Wordfast Pro (5.18.0) - another damp squib!
Thread poster: Comunican
Comunican
Comunican
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:13
Spanish to English
+ ...
Oct 8, 2020

Has anyone spotted any changes or improvements in the latest version of Wordfast Pro (5.18.0) that are actually of any use or interest to them? I haven't! And I see that any usability improvements I've requested/suggested via Feedback have been ignored - yet again....

Khadhé

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 10:13
Spanish to English
+ ...
Dont know Oct 9, 2020

Good luck with that.
I only use WordFast Classic, which I like for its simplicity. However, I recently got a new laptop and am having difficulty installing WFC, probably because the office suite is more recent, maybe 2019 (I don't have the laptop switched on at the moment). And I don't have time to troubleshoot at the moment, and I probably won't need it until Christmas anyway...

Comunican
Comunican
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I gave up on WF Classic long ago Oct 9, 2020

neilmac wrote:

Good luck with that.
I only use WordFast Classic, which I like for its simplicity. However, I recently got a new laptop and am having difficulty installing WFC, probably because the office suite is more recent, maybe 2019 (I don't have the laptop switched on at the moment). And I don't have time to troubleshoot at the moment, and I probably won't need it until Christmas anyway...

Hi Neilmac
I gave up on Wf Classic long ago because you can do so much more with Wf Pro. And as much as I like to complain about it, I have just renewed my licence, so they must be doing something right. It's just a bit galling that they don't seem to put any effort to making usability improvements

P.L.F. Persio
B D Finch

Jean Lachaud
Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:13
English to French
+ ...
WfC and WfPro have NOTHING IN COMMON Oct 9, 2020

except the name.

Yves Champollion, designer and author of WfC, is not involved at all in the development of WfPro.

The two applications have nothing in common. I prefer exporting a file from WfPro, translate it in WfC, and then reimport into WfPro and, if required, save it in the original format, rather than go through all WfPro hoops to create a project, TM, glossaries, deal with the multiple directories and subdirectories each project involves, and I won't even go in
... See more
except the name.

Yves Champollion, designer and author of WfC, is not involved at all in the development of WfPro.

The two applications have nothing in common. I prefer exporting a file from WfPro, translate it in WfC, and then reimport into WfPro and, if required, save it in the original format, rather than go through all WfPro hoops to create a project, TM, glossaries, deal with the multiple directories and subdirectories each project involves, and I won't even go into all the missing, counter-intuitive or just poorly designed feature of the application.
Collapse

Wolfgang Schoene
Wolfgang Schoene  Identity Verified
France
English to German
+ ...
Latest version of Wordfast Pro (5.18.0) Oct 10, 2020

Comunican wrote:

Has anyone spotted any changes or improvements in the latest version of Wordfast Pro (5.18.0) that are actually of any use or interest to them? I haven't! And I see that any usability improvements I've requested/suggested via Feedback have been ignored - yet again....

Nope, nothing tangible. Last week my licence run out, I'm not renewing it as none of the suggestions from customers are taken into account. And there are better tools anyway.

Wolfgang Schoene
Wolfgang Schoene  Identity Verified
France
English to German
+ ...
Latest version of Wordfast Pro (5.18.0) Oct 10, 2020

Wolfgang Schoene wrote:

Comunican wrote:

Nope, nothing tangible. Last week my licence run out, I'm not renewing it as none of the suggestions from customers are taken into account. And there are better tools anyway.

And to top it all up, to my knowledge WFP is the only CAT that stops working after the licence has expired. Studio, MemoQ, DVX cannot be updated, but, AFAIK, can be used ad libitum.

Comunican
Comunican
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Depends what you mean by "better" Oct 14, 2020

Wolfgang Schoene wrote:

Comunican wrote:

You say "better tools". For me, one tool is better than another not just on the basis of the extent of its capabilities but also on its usability, and - as a freelance translator myself - the extent to which it is focused on my needs rather than those of agency/client project managers...

I tried SDL Trados about 10 years ago and then again about 6 months ago - it is ridiculously complex and over-engineered and I would be loathe to use it. Memsource is OK, but only available online and having used it several times with one of my agencies, I've found it can be very slow moving from one segment to another. I tried MemoQ a few years ago, and can't remember why but didn't prefer it to Wordfast Pro. Sometimes it's a case of better the devil you know!

As I say, I just wish Wordfast Pro would take on board and correct its fairly obvious and simple usability shortcomings. I've reported about a dozen of them over the last year or two and the only one that has actually been implemented is the ability to increase the text size when doing a Live Preview.

I live in hope that some of the others will get done - for example, when I Remove a project or a document, I should have the option to fully *remove* it without having to root around system files; this is an issue of client confidentiality as much as anything. And when I Copy and Paste a term into a dictionary etc, I don't want all the formatting gubbins around it to be pasted too. Basic things like that....

Cheers!

B D Finch

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Latest version of Wordfast Pro (5.18.0) - another damp squib!

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »