Downloading XLF from XTM and upload it after translation - Please share your experience
Thread poster: pcs_MCIL
pcs_MCIL
pcs_MCIL
English to Italian
+ ...
Mar 16, 2012

There is this agency I work with that sometimes asks me to use XTM for their project.
After giving it a couple of try, I noticed what everybody else noticed: no personal TM to work with in background, slow connection, uneasy interface for concordance search, etc.
Put it simple: a waste of time.

So I decided to download the untranslated XLF file, translate it in Wordfast Pro, and the upload the translated XLF back on XTM.
Out of 6 files, this worked only once. The o
... See more
There is this agency I work with that sometimes asks me to use XTM for their project.
After giving it a couple of try, I noticed what everybody else noticed: no personal TM to work with in background, slow connection, uneasy interface for concordance search, etc.
Put it simple: a waste of time.

So I decided to download the untranslated XLF file, translate it in Wordfast Pro, and the upload the translated XLF back on XTM.
Out of 6 files, this worked only once. The other times I had to manually copy and paste each an every segment from WF to XTM.

Of course this would not have been necessary if:
1) the uploading worked as it should have
2) I could have uploaded the TM I generated when translating directly on the file on XTM (without uploading the translated XLF), so that it had 100% matches or 99% matches for each segment.
3) it would be possible to "align" the source and the target in XTM, or at least the source (empty) XLF and the target (translated) XLF.

So, it seems that if you have to use XTM you really have to work online, AKA projects that must be done on XTM should be avoided as they are too time consuming to be paid at your regular rate.

I am awaiting for XTM staff help but I am not that confident as I get a vague "internal XTM error" when I try to upload the translated XLF back on XTM.
Collapse

Ute Nossmann

Importing downloaded XLF files into XTM Mar 17, 2012

Hi Paola,

Thank you for posting to the XTM forum. I am sorry that you are having problems importing this XLIFF file into XTM. Typically the problems are to do with innacurate interpretation of XLIFF requirements by the tool that you have used.

In order to solve this problem can you please email the file to [email protected] - and we will sort this problem out for you. Typically the problems is caused by missing
... See more
Hi Paola,

Thank you for posting to the XTM forum. I am sorry that you are having problems importing this XLIFF file into XTM. Typically the problems are to do with innacurate interpretation of XLIFF requirements by the tool that you have used.

In order to solve this problem can you please email the file to [email protected] - and we will sort this problem out for you. Typically the problems is caused by missing inline elements in the <target> segment element translation. These elements are <g> </g> and <x/>. The 'g' elements must have a start and end element, while the 'x' elements have no content. The 'id' attributes must be present and must have the value that is in the equivalent 'source' element .

The target segment elements must have the same inline elements as the downloaded XLIFF file from XTM, e.g.:

<trans-unit id="t3" translate="yes">
<source><g id="i3">Gerrards Cross, Bucks, SL9 8XF</g></source>
<target state-qualifier="x-manual-notrans"><g id="i3">Gerrards Cross, Bucks, SL9 8XF</g></target>
</trans-unit>

In the XLIFF file you can see the inline elements and their conents. It is vital to have the full syntax of the inline element present including the all important 'id' attribute an its correct value.

We make every attempt to make XTM the best collaborative translation tool. Please could you write to me @ [email protected] re your problem regarding XTM concordance and performance of the server that you are using. We value your feedback.

We will have a new release of XTM in a few weeks time which make importing of problem XLIFF files much easier.

Best Regards,

AZ
Collapse

pcs_MCIL
pcs_MCIL
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks! Mar 17, 2012

Hi,

thanks for your prompt reply. I emailed the files and I am awaiting for your reply.
To be honest, to work on XLF files in Wordfast I had to set-up manually a file format (
using the properties provided by WF (http://wordfast.net/index.php?whichpage=knowledge&Task=view&questId=163&catId=35 - I used the "general rules").
... See more
Hi,

thanks for your prompt reply. I emailed the files and I am awaiting for your reply.
To be honest, to work on XLF files in Wordfast I had to set-up manually a file format (
using the properties provided by WF (http://wordfast.net/index.php?whichpage=knowledge&Task=view&questId=163&catId=35 - I used the "general rules").

Do you think these *.properties could be improved or is there any setting I could check/uncheck in WF to ensure a smooth conversion?

Finally, what other CAT do you think handles XLF better?
I am also a Trados user and a MemoQ user.
Collapse

XTM compatible desktop editors Mar 17, 2012

Hi Paola,

Thank you for your reply. Do you know the XTM Issue number for your problem. It will help me chase it up for you.

Thank you in advance,

AZ

XTM compatible desktop editors Mar 17, 2012

Hi Paola,

MaxPrograms Swordfish editor and MemoQ should work as long as you remember to keep the inline elements within segments. This is vital. The XTM 6.2 which will be out shortly will make diagnostics a bit easier.

MemoQ will be supporting the XLIFF:doc standard within this year and this will make interchange with MemoQ completely compatible and transparent. I cannot give you a precise date for this, but we will be working with Kilgray on this as part of the Interop
... See more
Hi Paola,

MaxPrograms Swordfish editor and MemoQ should work as long as you remember to keep the inline elements within segments. This is vital. The XTM 6.2 which will be out shortly will make diagnostics a bit easier.

MemoQ will be supporting the XLIFF:doc standard within this year and this will make interchange with MemoQ completely compatible and transparent. I cannot give you a precise date for this, but we will be working with Kilgray on this as part of the Interoperability Now! initiative.

Things will get better.

Best Regards,

AZ
Collapse

Lucas Cestari
Lucas Cestari
Argentina
Local time: 06:39
English to Spanish
+ ...
issue no. Mar 19, 2012

I did some experimenting yesterday. Apparently I missed the WF instruction to copy all source to target before exporting the XLF file. Doing so, it works, but I lose any pre-translated segment (the ones automatically populated by the TM on XTM).

I already delivered the job as the deadline is in a hr, but I'd appreciate your help anyway.
For example, is there a way to access the client TM on XTM also from WF or other CAT?

XTM Intl
XTM Intl
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:39
RE: issue no. 5898 Mar 19, 2012

Hello LucasHN,

Unfortunately there is no way to access the XTM TM from WF. You can do it only on-line while you are logged in to XTM. Could you please tell us something more about WF instruction to copy all source to target before exporting the XLF file?

Kind regards,
XTM Support

pcs_MCIL
pcs_MCIL
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
sorry for the confusion Mar 19, 2012

This morning I replied on a hurry and I didn't notice I was logged in with my bf's account.

I simply used the command "copy source to target" in XTM before downloading the bilingual XLF as per instruction in the link written in the original post (http://wordfast.net/index.php?whichpage=knowledge&Task=view&questId=163&catId=35).

XLF files can be translated with Wordfast Pro as long as
1) it is a standard XLF file, and
2) source is copied to the target.

If I don't do so, then I will likely get an error when uploading the translated file on XTM.
But doing so, I am also overwriting any 100 match that is found on XTM.
Would it be possible to copy the source to target on no match, only?
In this way I can at least save any 100% and fuzzy segment.

Ute Nossmann

XTM Intl
XTM Intl
United Kingdom
Importing/Exporting XLIFF from XTM Mar 20, 2012

Hello Paola,

In XTM there is no such option like "copy source to target" while downloading/uploading XLIFF file.

If you have 100% match that is found on XTM and you want to export XLIFF file this 100% match will be also exported.

Kind regards,
XTM Support

pcs_MCIL
pcs_MCIL
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
yes Mar 21, 2012

Yes, but WF instructions in order to be able to translate XLF files in WF correctly is to copy source to target. I guess this is the only way to avoid errors when uploading back the XLF on XTM.

My problem was this: initially I did not copy the sources to target, thus I was unable to upload back the XTM. When I copied the source to target, then dowloaded the XLF file, translated it in WF...then I was able to upload the translated XLF back on XTM.

XTM Intl
XTM Intl
United Kingdom
Importing/Exporting XLIFF from XTM Mar 22, 2012

Hello Paola,

As I wrote you before in XTM there is no such option like "copy source to target" when you want to download/upload XLIFF file.

There is an option "Populate target with source" in "Settings"-"Options" tab in the "Editor" but this option is not connected in any way with downloading/uploading XLIFF.

Sometimes XTM users have problems with uploading XLIFF file and in most cases the problems are caused by different inline tags between source elements
... See more
Hello Paola,

As I wrote you before in XTM there is no such option like "copy source to target" when you want to download/upload XLIFF file.

There is an option "Populate target with source" in "Settings"-"Options" tab in the "Editor" but this option is not connected in any way with downloading/uploading XLIFF.

Sometimes XTM users have problems with uploading XLIFF file and in most cases the problems are caused by different inline tags between source elements in XTM and target elements translated in external tool.

When you experience again problems with uploading XLIFF file back to the XTM could you please advise us on [email protected] and we will help you.

Kind regards,
XTM Support
Collapse

ahmadwadan.com
ahmadwadan.com  Identity Verified
Kuwait
Local time: 12:39
English to Arabic
+ ...
Same case here Nov 21, 2016

I share you the same situation.

I wish XTM can handle files exported by MemoQ, SDL Studio...etc so translators can easily work offline then upload files to XTM

Thank you

Luca Tutino
Asad Hussain
Armine Abelyan

Armine Abelyan
Armine Abelyan
Armenia
Local time: 13:39
English to Armenian
+ ...
Hard to work May 26, 2020

The export is ok, but to upload from SDL file to xml seem a burden..

XTM Intl
XTM Intl
United Kingdom
@Armine - Importing offline files back to XTM May 26, 2020

Armine Abelyan wrote:

The export is ok, but to upload from SDL file to xml seem a burden..

-------------

Hi Armine,

thank you for sharing your feedback. Interoperability is very important to us so can you please write to [email protected] and outline what the actual problem in your case is?
Usually issues are caused by:
- changing segmentation in Trados (or any other CAT Tool)
- wrong inline elements (tags)
- saving file as sdlxliff and not xliff (in Trados, use Save as -> xlf, instead of saving directly the file, as Trados auto-coverts it to sdlxliff)
- if the Project Manager on your client's side has reanalysed the project while you were translating, this would change the project ID included in the xlf file, so once you try to upload yours, the IDs no longer match.

If the error message in XTM is not helping you finding the root cause, I encourage you to write to Support. We always actively work on finding a solution quickly for you.

Thanks,
Sara

Sara Basile
Product Manager
XTM International Ltd.
www.xtm.cloud

[Edited at 2020-05-26 19:28 GMT]

Salih Sancaktar
Salih Sancaktar  Identity Verified
Portugal
English to Turkish
Web browser matters! Feb 20, 2022

After spending hours on trying different possible solutions from giving other file extensions a go, to playing with tags, I finally made it!

Here is another possible solution for you:
Check the supported web browsers list on the XTM website, and try all until one works.
In my case, I was using Chrome initially, but the one worked for uploading was Edge.

Hope it helps!

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Downloading XLF from XTM and upload it after translation - Please share your experience

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »