British or US English
Initiator des Themas: Piotr Sawiec
Piotr Sawiec
Piotr Sawiec  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:44
Englisch > Polnisch
+ ...
Aug 24, 2007

Can DVX use entries marked in the TM as British English to make translations from e.g. US English or vice versa, in other words, to have a "universal English database". It is not a problem when I have two TMs, Eng-Pol and Pol-Eng, but I would like to merge them and have a "Big Mama", and then it will be impossible to reverse orders, for example when translating from Polish to UK English, I will not be able to use the US English entries (especially from terminology), or maybe I should modify para... See more
Can DVX use entries marked in the TM as British English to make translations from e.g. US English or vice versa, in other words, to have a "universal English database". It is not a problem when I have two TMs, Eng-Pol and Pol-Eng, but I would like to merge them and have a "Big Mama", and then it will be impossible to reverse orders, for example when translating from Polish to UK English, I will not be able to use the US English entries (especially from terminology), or maybe I should modify parameters?

Piotr
Collapse

Victor Dewsbery
Victor Dewsbery  Identity Verified
Deutschland
Deutsch > Englisch
+ ...
Yes, I believe so Aug 24, 2007

My big mama and TDB are almost entirely German-British English.
My current project has American English as the designated target language, and I still get all my BE database hits.

I'm sure this would work for the source language, too.
You could do a short test: set up an AE-Polish project with a BE-Polish database, or vice versa. What do you see?

Judy Schoen
Judy Schoen  Identity Verified
Englisch > Deutsch
Both languages will be used Aug 24, 2007

For English, German, Spanish and other languages that come in different flavours DVX uses sublanguages to separate them.
the sublanguages are important for your target languages, they are less important for the source language.

if you work in EN_GB and DVX is looking for an entry, those with En_GB are given priority but any entries EN_US will be used as needed. Nevertheless, as I only translate into German I tend to keep all entries more or less in EN_US.

If I wo
... See more
For English, German, Spanish and other languages that come in different flavours DVX uses sublanguages to separate them.
the sublanguages are important for your target languages, they are less important for the source language.

if you work in EN_GB and DVX is looking for an entry, those with En_GB are given priority but any entries EN_US will be used as needed. Nevertheless, as I only translate into German I tend to keep all entries more or less in EN_US.

If I worked not only into DE_DE but also into DE_CH it would be sensible to keep both German versions in my TDB and MDB, because here it would make a difference.

kind regards
Judy ann
Collapse

Piotr Sawiec
Piotr Sawiec  Identity Verified
Englisch > Polnisch
+ ...
THEMENSTARTER
It works Aug 24, 2007

Thank you for calming me down, and sorry for bothering you, it works as you described in both directions. GB-EN to Polish uses the US_EN to Polish database, and Polish to US_E uses the Polish to GB_EN database.
So there should be no problem with combining these two databases into one

thanks again and regards

Piotr

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderatoren dieses Forums
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

British or US English

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »