Pages sur ce sujet:   < [1 2 3 4 5]
Off topic: François Rollande, or Françoise Hollande?
Auteur du fil: Tom in London
Ty Kendall
Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
Royaume-Uni
Local time: 00:04
hébreu vers anglais
? May 8, 2012

What earlier question? I don't see it.

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo
Madeleine MacRae Klintebo  Identity Verified
Royaume-Uni
suédois vers anglais
+ ...
Someone else who remembers Mr Lehrer May 8, 2012

Jenny Forbes wrote:

Does anyone remember Tom Lehrer's breezy and hilarious song "National Brotherhood Week"?
I daren't quote it here for fear of being banned for racist remarks, but it's all about mutual dislike between nations and races. Well worth listening to, but only if you've got a GSOH.
J

I'll try quoting a, hopefully, innocent phrase from the song:

"to hate all but the right folk is an old established rule"

To all UK English speakers who complain about foreigners's pronunciation, would you mind saying the names of these persons from a geographically close country (and who have been pretty active in the UK for some years):

Björn Borg
Sven-Göran Eriksson

Tom in London
Tom in London
Royaume-Uni
Membre (2008)
italien vers anglais
AUTEUR DU FIL
OOps May 8, 2012

Ty Kendall wrote:

What earlier question? I don't see it.

Sorry Ty - Proz has a nasty habit of auto-filling boxes without me noticing. It auto-filled the box above my previous post.

I wish it wouldn't do this.

Kirsten Bodart
Kirsten Bodart  Identity Verified
Royaume-Uni
Local time: 01:04
néerlandais vers anglais
+ ...
At the risk of repeating what some else has said already May 8, 2012

(and I am not going to read everything else), I was pretty surprised to hear a piece of the BBC's personal journalist furniture like Andrew Mar, who is educated after all (although 'only' a Scotsman, although these days that is a blessing), just unwittingly changed Mr Hollande's sex by mispronouncing his name.

That he can't produce that nasal sound in the surname, I can understand, I have known people who tried for years and couldn't do it, but to put an s in such a name as Françoi
... See more
(and I am not going to read everything else), I was pretty surprised to hear a piece of the BBC's personal journalist furniture like Andrew Mar, who is educated after all (although 'only' a Scotsman, although these days that is a blessing), just unwittingly changed Mr Hollande's sex by mispronouncing his name.

That he can't produce that nasal sound in the surname, I can understand, I have known people who tried for years and couldn't do it, but to put an s in such a name as François is very unfortunate. The female journalist on duty that morning did master François without the extra s, though. I just wonder how you could make such a mistake as François is not such a rare name, after all.
As to Sarkózy... It doesn't bother me so much. It is against the English language to put emphasis on the very last syllable, and the French put all their stresses on the last syllable if they don't now any better and don't practice so I think you coud excuse that.

I personally draw the line at changing someone's sex...

Saying that, I don't think commentators listen anymore to other commentators or something. I mean, as a Dutch speaker it took me several matches before I gathered that Van Persie is actually Dutch! And now there is this Slovak player who has the unfortunate Skrtel for a surname. Not watching, I had to ask my husband what this man had for a nationality as they pronounced his name skirtél.
Not to talk about Gevaert (gevért) and I don't want to know how they pronounced her male colleague's name Cedric Van Branteghem...
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
Royaume-Uni
Membre (2008)
italien vers anglais
AUTEUR DU FIL
Soccer May 8, 2012

Speaking of soccer, it always riles me to hear British football commentators talking about Patrick Vieira as "Patrick Viera". Grrrrrrrrrrrr!

XXXphxxx (X)
XXXphxxx (X)  Identity Verified
Royaume-Uni
portugais vers anglais
+ ...
Patrick Vieira May 8, 2012

Tom in London wrote:

Speaking of soccer, it always riles me to hear British football commentators talking about Patrick Vieira as "Patrick Viera". Grrrrrrrrrrrr!

Is your issue with the forename or surname? It's a Portuguese surname and the French don't pronounce it properly either, which just goes to show this is a slightly pointless argument. What are immigrants to do when they move to a new country? Insist on the original and 'correct' pronunciation of their name?

Tom in London
Tom in London
Royaume-Uni
Membre (2008)
italien vers anglais
AUTEUR DU FIL
Indeed May 8, 2012

Lisa Simpson, MCIL wrote:

this is a slightly pointless argument

Indeed, but for some reason even though I have opted not to receive any more posts, Proz keeps sending them anyway.

veratek
veratek
Brésil
Local time: 20:04
français vers anglais
+ ...
that's hillarious May 8, 2012

Helga Lemiere wrote:
which makes me smile is the way french people pronounce the name of the Norvegian Group 'A-HA', which become "Ha-Ha".

This was the best one! Many LOL's

It's too funny how they will say:

Airry placed ees at on the Ha-Ha CD "Horanges on Happletrees"

Warren EDWARDES
Warren EDWARDES
Royaume-Uni
espagnol vers anglais
The Spanish Translate May 8, 2012

Mis-pronunciation is one thing. But the Spanish insist on translating names.

So The Queen becomes, Reina Isabel and Prince Charles is Principe Carlos.

This hit me personally when the Spanish translator of my book in finance published by no less than Financial Times Prentice Hall translated the name of my company from Delphi to Delphos.

Michele Fauble
Michele Fauble  Identity Verified
États-Unis
Local time: 16:04
Membre (2006)
norvégien vers anglais
+ ...
François Hollande anglicized May 8, 2012

Ty Kendall wrote:

Not only that, his name does contain sounds not common or naturally occuring in English, so it really shouldn't surprise ANYONE that it's not "easy" for people not versed in French to pronounce - JUST AS I wouldn't expect a French person with limited English to flawlessly pronounce "David Cameron" (without adding a certain French flair to it).

franswa holland

And be done with it.

No French 'r', or nasal vowels.

You drop the 's' and get to pronounce the 'h'.

Ty Kendall
Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
Royaume-Uni
hébreu vers anglais
Tuilaepa Lupesoliai Sailele Malielegaoi May 8, 2012

You're right, we could just totally anglicize it and call him Francis Holland, but then that would surely draw equal criticism.

Perhaps we should be grateful that the Beeb presenters don't have to talk about the Samoan prime minister very often, I'd like to see them get their mouths around Tuilaepa Lupesoliai Sailele Malielegaoi.

Pages sur ce sujet:   < [1 2 3 4 5]

Aucun modérateur n'est spécifiquement affecté à ce forum
Pour rapporter des violations des règles du site ou pour obtenir de l'aide, veuillez contacter l'équipe du site »

François Rollande, or Françoise Hollande?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »