Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
TRANSLATION COMPETITION: anyone interested?
Thread poster: CLS Lexi-tech
Rita Bandinelli
Rita Bandinelli
Local time: 09:07
English to Italian
+ ...
Well done, Paola, I agree with you. Of course, the whole plan requires careful thinking. Dec 5, 2001

In my opinion, this is a good idea overall. Of course if it is finalised, every aspect must be studied and decided in detail and with great care, and shaping up its final form may require some time. But I think in the end that is feasible.

I think there should be a panel of judges (maybe 3 or 4 would do). And maybe the nature of the \"award\" could be broader than that of a definite prize (I mean, more than one translator could gain recognition for high quality translation work, o
... See more
In my opinion, this is a good idea overall. Of course if it is finalised, every aspect must be studied and decided in detail and with great care, and shaping up its final form may require some time. But I think in the end that is feasible.

I think there should be a panel of judges (maybe 3 or 4 would do). And maybe the nature of the \"award\" could be broader than that of a definite prize (I mean, more than one translator could gain recognition for high quality translation work, or something of the kind - this is just a thought in embryo... sorry for its/my clumsiness!).

Perhaps this could be a subject for discussion at Powwows?

Anyway, well done, Paola, I think this idea is worth encouraging.

Rita

Collapse

Jacek Krankowski (X)
Jacek Krankowski (X)  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
Simply put it to a test Dec 5, 2001

Any idea of pro bono work is great (especially for beginning translators who would benefit from this). After all, it is Christmas time. Why making a priori comments on who the judges are going to be? Let us hear candidates for the judges themselves! Under the worst case scenario, the competion would materialize in one or two SCs. Tanto meglio per loro! KudoZ top scorers are already involved in tutoring free of charge in many SCs so the idea of free assistance to beginners is not that unusual... See more
Any idea of pro bono work is great (especially for beginning translators who would benefit from this). After all, it is Christmas time. Why making a priori comments on who the judges are going to be? Let us hear candidates for the judges themselves! Under the worst case scenario, the competion would materialize in one or two SCs. Tanto meglio per loro! KudoZ top scorers are already involved in tutoring free of charge in many SCs so the idea of free assistance to beginners is not that unusual. It\'s a free world and we are free to help whomever we choose.

Jacek
Collapse

Rita Bandinelli
Rita Bandinelli
Local time: 09:07
English to Italian
+ ...
Well done, Paola, I agree with you. Of course, the whole plan requires careful thinking. Dec 5, 2001

I think there should be a panel of judges (maybe 3 or 4 would do). And maybe the nature of the \"award\" could be broader than that of a definite prize (I mean, more than one translator could gain recognition for high quality translation work, o
... See more

I think there should be a panel of judges (maybe 3 or 4 would do). And maybe the nature of the \"award\" could be broader than that of a definite prize (I mean, more than one translator could gain recognition for high quality translation work, or something of the kind - this is just a thought in embryo... sorry for its/my clumsiness!).

Perhaps this could be a subject for discussion at Powwows?

Anyway, well done, Paola, I think this idea is worth encouraging.

Rita

Collapse

Giuliana Buscaglione
Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:07
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
Competition Dec 5, 2001

[quote]

On 2001-12-04 07:02, RICH wrote:

Res ipse loquitur.

Mene, Mene, Tekel, Upharsin

in the Bible, the mysterious riddle written by a hand on the wall at Belshazzar’s feast. These Aramaic words may be translated literally as, “It has been counted and counted, weighed and divided.” Daniel interpreted this to mean that the king’s deeds had been weighed and found deficient and that his kingdom would therefore be divided.

So much for competition...thus sayeth the Lord!

Guess the Lord thought that the \"King\" was just not marketable!

----------------------

I guess grape is never ripe.

De gustibus non disputandum est.

Let\'s forget a priori and see what is all about!

Life is competition, competion is life. Aren\'t credentials, university degrees, diplomas, prizes the results of a long-lasting test?

We stop learning only when we close our eyes for ever, therefore some people might like to make the learning process more exciting. Beginners might love to test their skills again, while some experienced translators might like to add a prize or a certificate to their \"paper\" collection.

Regards,

Dr.Phil. Giuliana Buscaglione
[addsig]

CLS Lexi-tech
CLS Lexi-tech
Local time: 03:07
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Dec 5, 2001

Quote:

On 2001-12-04 06:22, LFRodrigue wrote:

Ciao Paola! E come funzionerebbe questa iniziativa? La potresti spiegare più dettagliatamente?

A reply to Thomas and LFRodrigue.

I don\'t know yet. What interested me is to see whether there is enough people interested in something like this, a competition for young translators as a way to promote and refine their talents and to get kn... See more
Quote:

On 2001-12-04 06:22, LFRodrigue wrote:

Ciao Paola! E come funzionerebbe questa iniziativa? La potresti spiegare più dettagliatamente?

A reply to Thomas and LFRodrigue.

I don\'t know yet. What interested me is to see whether there is enough people interested in something like this, a competition for young translators as a way to promote and refine their talents and to get known by other translators.

Let\'s keep this idea alive in the new year (not my idea, see above, mind you), what do you say?

ciao

paola l m

Collapse

katerina1
katerina1  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:07
English to Greek
+ ...
Fantastic idea which could make a difference Dec 5, 2001

This is a great idea for young translators who are struggling to prove themeselves and achieve something that is worthing. I agree with you that prizes are not important at this point as soon as only new entrants enter the competition and not people with 10 and 15 years of experience who enter the comp only to get some more points. That would not be fair to the efford put by newcomers. I would like some more information on this, like who can enter the competition etc.

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 03:07
SITE FOUNDER
Great idea Dec 6, 2001

My wheels are turning on the technical aspects of this excellent initiative.

Judging: it could be done by this community, by translation \"stars\", or by both.

Lets think more...

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TRANSLATION COMPETITION: anyone interested?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »