Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4]
Off topic: You know you're a translator when....
Thread poster: Frances Leggett
Trisha F
Trisha F  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:44
English to Spanish
+ ...
O_o Feb 17, 2013

I would say that about half of them apply, although there is a fine line between being a translator and being just pedantic in my opinion.

I can particularly relate to the typo-induced nightmares but I think the list lacked points that were somehow related to:

1. The pleasure one feels when pronouncing or listening to a foreign language. The closest to that was perhaps "You can remember making weird noises to yourself, just because you were practising your Lenis Voiced
... See more
I would say that about half of them apply, although there is a fine line between being a translator and being just pedantic in my opinion.

I can particularly relate to the typo-induced nightmares but I think the list lacked points that were somehow related to:

1. The pleasure one feels when pronouncing or listening to a foreign language. The closest to that was perhaps "You can remember making weird noises to yourself, just because you were practising your Lenis Voiced Dental Fricative." And yes, I am guilty of that.

2. The natural gift of the translator to do his/her work. I am a firm believer of this, you must be naturally talented to some degree as there are things you just cannot "learn" in a classroom. There are a lot of points that cover knowledge of theory and technical aspects of translation but not too many that mention a translator's natural feel for language.

3. The rage one experiences when looking at translations carried out by individuals that display a total lack of cultural knowledge. This is slightly different from context being one's "modus operandi", which incidentally is one of my favourites in the list.

Having mentioned that, one of the points I do not relate to at all is the one about caffeine. I enjoy drinking Coke but I dislike coffee most of the time and it doesn't help me stay awake anyway.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

You know you're a translator when....

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »