Off topic: how many e-mails do you reply to the first thing in the moring?
Initiator des Themas: AJL MedCom (X)
AJL MedCom (X)
AJL MedCom (X)  Identity Verified
Kanada
Local time: 10:21
Chinesisch > Englisch
+ ...
Sep 23, 2008

And how long does the replying take?

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
Vereinigtes Königreich
Local time: 15:21
Russisch > Englisch
+ ...
In stillem Gedenken
How long is a piece of string? Sep 23, 2008

One morning recently I had 31 emails. Another morning, I had zero emails. I suppose on average I must spend about 20 minutes on them. Most of them are connected with KudoZ in one way or another.

AJL MedCom (X)
Kanada
Chinesisch > Englisch
+ ...
THEMENSTARTER
Some are harried... Sep 23, 2008

hello Jack that sounds like a breeze, I get 60-70 e-mails per day (business related) and spend nearly two-three hours replying to everyone to start my day. I'm thinking of hiring someone to work this profitless tedium!

Marion van Venrooij-Rooijmans
Niederlande
Local time: 16:21
Englisch > Niederländisch
Five max Sep 23, 2008

I normally reply to all emails I receive during the day. Because my clients are all in the same time zone (+/- 2 hours), I get virtually no emails overnight. Sometimes clients send emails late in the afternoon or in the evening, when I've already shut off my computer, but my BlackBerry still receives those, so I know what to expect the next morning.

AJL MedCom (X)
Kanada
Chinesisch > Englisch
+ ...
THEMENSTARTER
The BlackBerry Sep 23, 2008

so given the relatively small number of emails you receive per day do you think it is worth owning a BlackBerry, or will some other device less expensive, but equally capable of wireless acess suffice? I'm asking because I'm planning on getting one too, but the monthly service plan is too expensive as I don't use the phone too much.

Niederlande
Englisch > Niederländisch
Peace of mind Sep 23, 2008

AJL MedCom wrote:

so given the relatively small number of emails you receive per day do you think it is worth owning a BlackBerry, or will some other device less expensive, but equally capable of wireless acess suffice? I'm asking because I'm planning on getting one too, but the monthly service plan is too expensive as I don't use the phone too much.

Just because I don't receive many emails during the night, doesn't mean I don't receive many during the day. Some days I feel I am spending more time reading and replying than actually translating. But I don't think I ever received 60-70 emails per day (and I hope I never will).

As for my BlackBerry: I bought mine about six months ago because I wanted to have peace of mind when I wasn't sitting at my desk. Some days are less busy than others and I wanted to be able to leave the house without worrying that new requests would come in and I wouldn't be able to let the client know that I was available. Sometimes I also plan to go shopping on a weekday, but I don't want to tell all my clients that I won't be in my office that day, as I think they might get hesitant to contact me that day about a new job and contact someone else instead. Unfortunately, I've been so busy most of the time that I haven't really used the email functionality of my BB yet. I've just been sitting at my desk translating, so I saw all incoming emails on my computer screen.

I can't tell you if a BB or any other wireless access device is worth its money for you, I guess it largely depends on the way you run your business. If you want to be able to leave your desk without missing any incoming email, I'd go for it.

AJL MedCom (X)
Kanada
Chinesisch > Englisch
+ ...
THEMENSTARTER
Re: Peace of mind Sep 23, 2008

Thanks for the advice Marion, I'll ruminate carefully before deciding.

David Brown
David Brown  Identity Verified
Spanien
Spanisch > Englisch
E-mails Sep 23, 2008

I can't believe I am seeing people receiving that many e-mails overnight.
As I only receive work from Europe, my e-mails arrive during "normal" working hours ie between 9:00 am and 7:00pm and I usually deal with them as they arrive as I am working at my desk. I must admit I tend to just trash e-mails from unknown names or addresses.

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finnland
Local time: 17:21
Mitglied (2003)
Finnisch > Deutsch
+ ...
Mostly junk Sep 24, 2008

The only mails that arrive during my night and are not junk come from Al Gore and Jost Zetschke, both from the US. And I don't have to answer them.
Cheers
Heinrich

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderatoren dieses Forums
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

how many e-mails do you reply to the first thing in the moring?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »