Food for thought
Thread poster: Stéphanie Denton (X)
Tatty
Tatty  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:20
Spanish to English
+ ...
An MA Apr 11, 2011

An MA is another example of what you are talking about.

I loved that titbit about the origin of French words beginning with h, very useful indeed.

Paul Dixon
Paul Dixon  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 10:20
Portuguese to English
+ ...
A/An Apr 11, 2011

The rule I always use (and teach) is "an" before a vowel SOUND (even though the letter may be a consonant) and "a" before a consonant SOUND.

So: a university, a unique solution ("u" pronounced as Y), but:
an umbrella, an unsolved problem

One that is particularly tricky is "a unanimous decision" (pronounced "yu", but many people think that "un" is pronounced like the opposite prefix, e.g. unable)

Other cases often overlooked are: a Euro, a European cou
... See more
The rule I always use (and teach) is "an" before a vowel SOUND (even though the letter may be a consonant) and "a" before a consonant SOUND.

So: a university, a unique solution ("u" pronounced as Y), but:
an umbrella, an unsolved problem

One that is particularly tricky is "a unanimous decision" (pronounced "yu", but many people think that "un" is pronounced like the opposite prefix, e.g. unable)

Other cases often overlooked are: a Euro, a European country, (eu pronounced as YU) and a one-way street (the O has a "w" sound).

Letters sounding like vowels take an: an MBA /em-bee-eigh/, an RSA qualification /ah-ess-eigh/.

Words starting with H take "a" when the H is sounded (a house) and "an" when silent (an honour).

I hope this helps.

PAUL
Collapse

Cécile Sellier
Cécile Sellier  Identity Verified
Georgia
Local time: 17:20
English to French
+ ...
Interesting! Apr 11, 2011

Thank you all for those explanations!

I remembered the rules for English (regarding "u", "h" etc) from university classes, but I had no idea about the French rule according to which the pronunciation of the "h" ("le hibou" as opposed to "l'histoire" for instance) depends on the origin of the word - that's very interesting indeed!

Cécile

Paul Dixon
Brazil
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Rule for H Apr 11, 2011

Further to my answer, remember that use of a/an can vary in the case of words beginning with H, depending on local pronunciation, so although most people in England would say "a house", a Cockney would of course say "an 'ouse" (not pronouncing the H, as in "in 'Artford, 'Ereford and 'Ampshire, 'urricanes 'ardly 'appen").

Also, although we pronounce the "H" in "herb" and thus say "a herb", it seems (perhaps someone from the land of Barack "Yes We Can" Obama can shed light on this) t
... See more
Further to my answer, remember that use of a/an can vary in the case of words beginning with H, depending on local pronunciation, so although most people in England would say "a house", a Cockney would of course say "an 'ouse" (not pronouncing the H, as in "in 'Artford, 'Ereford and 'Ampshire, 'urricanes 'ardly 'appen").

Also, although we pronounce the "H" in "herb" and thus say "a herb", it seems (perhaps someone from the land of Barack "Yes We Can" Obama can shed light on this) that in the United States the "h" in herb is silent, so the Americans would say "an herb".

PAUL
Collapse

Adam Łobatiuk
Adam Łobatiuk  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
Herb Apr 11, 2011

Paul Dixon wrote:
Also, although we pronounce the "H" in "herb" and thus say "a herb", it seems (perhaps someone from the land of Barack "Yes We Can" Obama can shed light on this) that in the United States the "h" in herb is silent, so the Americans would say "an herb".
PAUL

My favo(u)rite comedian has this to say:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cs5H7cgcpkg
(some strong language there)

Aleksandar Gasic
Aleksandar Gasic
Montenegro
English to Serbo-Croat
+ ...
complicated Apr 14, 2011

Jack Doughty wrote:

Why is it "le hibou" when for almost every other word beginning with "h" it is "l'h..."?

I've always considered that "h muet vs. h aspiré" thing in French quite annoying. The only reasonable explanation is for "heroes", where you have "L (pause) Ero", since in plural it would sound like "Le Zero". Others I had to learn by heart.
Every language has such peculiarities. In my language (and many other Slavic languages), we have "fleeting a", where "a" comes and goes apparently randomly in word declensions.
BTW, why is it "it is time we WENT", in English, not "it is time we go"?

Ambrose Li
Ambrose Li  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 09:20
English
+ ...
went Apr 15, 2011

Aleksandar Gasic wrote:

This is a subjunctive in disguise. But unless I’m mistaken the present subjunctive would work too.

Aleksandar Gasic
Aleksandar Gasic
Montenegro
English to Serbo-Croat
+ ...
went Apr 16, 2011

I realize it is subjunctive, not particularly disguised even, but I am a bit confused as to why? There are many similar "subjective" statements with good ol' indicative.
I'd be grateful if some native speaker told me if present subj. would be OK here. I've never heard anyone use pres.subj. Even people who treat us with delights like "if I should of made another step I would of stepped on you're toes" use (what I think they think is) past tense.

Rachel Fell
Rachel Fell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:20
French to English
+ ...
No it wouldn't Apr 16, 2011

Ambrose Li wrote:

Aleksandar Gasic wrote:

This is a subjunctive in disguise. But unless I’m mistaken the present subjunctive would work too.

You couldn't phrase it like that - it sounds very "non-native speaker".

[Edited at 2011-04-16 16:00 GMT]

Paul Dixon
Brazil
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Phrase Apr 17, 2011

In the phrase "if I should of made another step I would of stepped on you're toes" as mentioned, I feel "if I should have made..." sounds better. Don't you agree?

Ashley Wans
Ashley Wans  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:20
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes! Apr 17, 2011

Paul Dixon wrote:

In the phrase "if I should of made another step I would of stepped on you're toes" as mentioned, I feel "if I should have made..." sounds better. Don't you agree?

"I should of" is not correct. People sometimes write this because when you say "should have" it can sound like "should uv", which leads some to think that the phrase is "should of". It's not. "Should of" makes no sense.

Ambrose Li
Ambrose Li  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 09:20
English
+ ...
regional difference? Apr 17, 2011

Rachel Fell wrote:

Ambrose Li wrote:

Aleksandar Gasic wrote:

You couldn't phrase it like that - it sounds very "non-native speaker".

[Edited at 2011-04-16 16:00 GMT]

Maybe it’s a regional difference. It certainly does not sound non-native to me (which doesn’t mean I am native but that some native speakers here (i.e., in Canada) do actually speak like this).

ETA: Or do you mean my mention of subjunctives? Sure if that’s what you mean you’re absolutely right. Subjunctives exist only in textbooks =P

[Edited at 2011-04-17 04:12 GMT]

Aleksandar Gasic
Aleksandar Gasic
Montenegro
English to Serbo-Croat
+ ...
an example Apr 17, 2011

Paul Dixon wrote:

I just gave that sentence as an example of bad language. It was actually written by a native speaker. In English I learned, the correct form of 3rd conditional would be "if I HAD MADE (not "should have", it is just plan wrong in if clause) another step, I WOULD HAVE stepped on YOUR toes".
Then again, it is English I learned. Times they are a changing, as Dylan said.

Rachel Fell
Rachel Fell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:20
French to English
+ ...
Yes Apr 17, 2011

[quote]Aleksandar Gasic wrote:

Paul Dixon wrote:

In the phrase "if I should of made another step I would of stepped on you're toes" as mentioned/quote]
It was actually written by a native speaker. In English I learned, the correct form of 3rd conditional would be "if I HAD MADE (not "should have", it is just plan wrong in if clause) another step, I WOULD HAVE stepped on YOUR toes".

I agree, as a UK speaker (some US English past tense usage is different), though I'd probably use a different verb: "if I had taken another step I would have stepped on your toes"

Ashley Wans
Ashley Wans  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:20
Spanish to English
+ ...
Natives do sometimes use "would of" Apr 18, 2011

Aleksandar Gasic wrote:

Paul Dixon wrote:

I just gave that sentence as an example of bad language. It was actually written by a native speaker. In English I learned, the correct form of 3rd conditional would be "if I HAD MADE (not "should have", it is just plan wrong in if clause) another step, I WOULD HAVE stepped on YOUR toes".

Native English speakers do sometimes write "would of" and the "bad language" example you posted does actually come up fairly often. I just meant to point out that it is in fact bad language as you said; I wasn't trying to say that YOUR language is bad (it's not).

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Food for thought

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »