Vom Thema belegte Seiten:   < [1 2]
Poll: Do you delete work-related emails?
Initiator des Themas: ProZ.com Staff
Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
Vereinigte Staaten
Local time: 09:40
Spanisch > Englisch
+ ...
yes yes yes Jun 25, 2015

I believe that it is ABSOLUTELY essential for a professional to delete all documents (emails and files)! I am astonished that this practice is not universal.

If I were a company, I would be blacklisting people from this thread and others. Data security is a big deal and I guarantee that most companies expect this and AFAIK, the obligation to delete all files and emails is part of our contract (written or implied) with agencies.

[Edited at 2015-06-25 17:08 GMT]

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:40
Französisch > Englisch
Say what now Jun 25, 2015

Jeff Whittaker wrote:

I believe that it is ABSOLUTELY essential for a professional to delete all documents (emails and files)! I am astonished that this practice is not universal.

What, all of them, all the time? Presumably we're allowed to work on them first? So can we keep them for a few days please, Jeff? Thanks. And then I'll delete them. All of them you say? OK, Jeff, no problem. I assume you've spoken to Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs and told them YOU believe it is essential to delete ALL documents. So I can ignore that tedious 6-year retention period rule they have for invoice and inconsequential nonsense like that? Brilliant, cheers, Jeff.

Blanket statements are such a blunt instrument in the wrong hands, aren't they?

.... AFAIK, the obligation to delete all files and emails is part of our contract (written or implied) with agencies.

Coo, lucky you're here, Jeff. I just thought I wasn't supposed to disclose a bunch of stuff (with you all the way on the implied NDA, mind). Didn't know I had to delete it too, though. 'Course, it IS pretty hard to disclose stuff that doesn't exist, so perhaps your apparent wipe-the-hard-drive-clean-before-bedtime policy is the way forward.....

I was gonna say words fail me, but they obviously don't

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
Vereinigtes Königreich
Mitglied (2011)
Schwedisch > Englisch
+ ...
ffs Jun 25, 2015

Jeff Whittaker wrote:

If I were a company, I would be blacklisting people from this thread and others. Data security is a big deal and I guarantee that most companies expect this and AFAIK, the obligation to delete all files and emails is part of our contract (written or implied) with agencies.

I work for a central bank so I know a bit about security, thanks.

What you're saying is silly because the only time the stuff I (and most others) translate is sensitive is during and immediately after the translation process, because it's then published, so deleting it after a while is somewhat pointless.

As it happens, I actually signed an agreement with one of the big global agencies the other day, and nowhere did it say I had to delete anything. I think they're more concerned with getting me to lower my prices tbh.

Maxi Schwarz
Maxi Schwarz  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:40
Deutsch > Englisch
+ ...
a case in point Jun 26, 2015

I just read Jeff's comment that if he were a company he would blacklist people who wrote that they don't delete things (right away). I'm dealing with an end client at this very moment who has asked me to print out a certified translation I did for her way back in 2007. This is by far not the first time that I have been asked for old documents, and clients definitely do not expect me to delete their material - let alone would want to blacklist me for such a thing. In fact, I actually don't hav... See more
I just read Jeff's comment that if he were a company he would blacklist people who wrote that they don't delete things (right away). I'm dealing with an end client at this very moment who has asked me to print out a certified translation I did for her way back in 2007. This is by far not the first time that I have been asked for old documents, and clients definitely do not expect me to delete their material - let alone would want to blacklist me for such a thing. In fact, I actually don't have the 2007 documents since that computer died in Feb. 2008 and got replaced - many old translations going with it.

I did one sensitive translation where I was expressly told to delete everything as soon as the work was completed, and that was done. But not every client (whether agency or end client) wants that.
Collapse

Andy Watkinson
Andy Watkinson  Identity Verified
Spanien
Local time: 15:40
Mitglied
Katalanisch > Englisch
+ ...
OCD Jun 26, 2015

Chris S wrote:

Jeff Whittaker wrote:

I work for a central bank so I know a bit about security, thanks.

What you're saying is silly because the only time the stuff I (and most others) translate is sensitive is during and immediately after the translation process, because it's then published, so deleting it after a while is somewhat pointless.

The amount of so-called privileged data on my computer would be enough to cover "vast tracts of land", were it to take material form.

It's verily clogged up with embargoed press releases and million-euro mandatory convertible debenture issuances for a large Spanish bank, but who cares?
It's in the public domain.

As Chris says, many such documents are confidential only prior to and during the translation process.

And OK Chris, I admit it. Your bank's bigger than mine.

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brasilien
Local time: 10:40
Mitglied (2014)
Englisch > Portugiesisch
+ ...
Regular Backups Jun 27, 2015

I regularly make copies of my e-mail/outlook files in CD's (every six months or so), so that I can erase the old e-mails from my Outlook folders and keep only the most recent ones. But the copies on CD's are saved for the past 12 years, at least.

I had a case in justice against an agency that paid me regularly for 2.5 years and then started delaying in the third year. Since I trusted them (for the previous regularity), I did many jobs for them accepting their excuses for the delays.
... See more
I regularly make copies of my e-mail/outlook files in CD's (every six months or so), so that I can erase the old e-mails from my Outlook folders and keep only the most recent ones. But the copies on CD's are saved for the past 12 years, at least.

I had a case in justice against an agency that paid me regularly for 2.5 years and then started delaying in the third year. Since I trusted them (for the previous regularity), I did many jobs for them accepting their excuses for the delays. When the bill accrued US$ 5,000.00 I stopped working and started threatening.

I finally lodged a complaint in justice, and guess what: the judge requested all the e-mails exchanged with the agency, because that was the only evidence available. If I didn't have the files saved for three years, I would have lost US$ 5.000,00.

A CD costs about one dollar! Does it make any sense not to make backups of all your documents and e-mails? Twelve years of backup in my storage room occupy a space smaller than a shoebox!

[Edited at 2015-06-27 19:34 GMT]
Collapse

Vom Thema belegte Seiten:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderatoren dieses Forums
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you delete work-related emails?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »