Vom Thema belegte Seiten:   < [1 2]
Poll: Has luck/destiny/fate played a role in your translation career?
Initiator des Themas: ProZ.com Staff
Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brasilien
Local time: 07:57
Mitglied (2014)
Englisch > Portugiesisch
+ ...
Yes, perhaps Dec 28, 2015

I Always thought I had to go standard and get na in-house job in my professional area. This went on for over 20 years, and during that time, translation was my second job, alway na extra.
In 2013, I was dismissed at the age of 45, and the best job offers I got paid me half of what I made in my previous job. The Market is down in Brazil, which makes it even worse. So, after a few months, I gave up sending CV's around, and decided to dedicate myself to translations full time.
It was si
... See more
I Always thought I had to go standard and get na in-house job in my professional area. This went on for over 20 years, and during that time, translation was my second job, alway na extra.
In 2013, I was dismissed at the age of 45, and the best job offers I got paid me half of what I made in my previous job. The Market is down in Brazil, which makes it even worse. So, after a few months, I gave up sending CV's around, and decided to dedicate myself to translations full time.
It was simply the best thing I did in my life, professionally speaking. I regret not doing that 20 years ago. I make twice as much Money, working whenever I want, in my place, with no boss, no routine, no company procedures or code of ethics...
I guess you can call that a touch of destiny?
Collapse

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 19:57
Mitglied (2011)
Japanisch > Englisch
Been a bad year for various reasons Dec 28, 2015

'Born Under a Bad Sign' by the Pat Travers Band

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBVHguh6vnw

Enjoy some 80's hard rock! If you want to tempt providence, that is

564354352 (X)
564354352 (X)  Identity Verified
Dänemark
Local time: 12:57
Dänisch > Englisch
+ ...
No... a whole string of deliberate choices Dec 28, 2015

I wanted to be an interpreter when I was a young teenager, and always imagined that my future work would involve communicating in several languages. My entire worklife and education have been based on that desire, and the choices I have made over the years have brought me where I am today. Choices and hard work.

And p.s. I also believe in the touch of God on our lives, but I happen to believe that he enables us to make our own decisions and helps us enhance our skills and find the r
... See more
I wanted to be an interpreter when I was a young teenager, and always imagined that my future work would involve communicating in several languages. My entire worklife and education have been based on that desire, and the choices I have made over the years have brought me where I am today. Choices and hard work.

And p.s. I also believe in the touch of God on our lives, but I happen to believe that he enables us to make our own decisions and helps us enhance our skills and find the right opportunities.

That's not destiny, luck or fate; it's love from above...
Collapse

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Deutschland
Local time: 12:57
Mitglied (2006)
Deutsch > Englisch
Ouch Dec 28, 2015

Julian Holmes wrote:

'Born Under a Bad Sign' by the Pat Travers Band

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBVHguh6vnw

Enjoy some 80's hard rock! If you want to tempt providence, that is

That hurt.....☺

Although I am getting on, that is a bit before my time of Jean Michel Jarre....

Vom Thema belegte Seiten:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderatoren dieses Forums
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Has luck/destiny/fate played a role in your translation career?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »