Fat grey frames around menus, boxes, KudoZ answers, etc. - Do we really need them?
Thread poster: Ulrike Kraemer
Ulrike Kraemer
Ulrike Kraemer
Germany
Local time: 00:50
English to German
+ ...
Jul 23, 2009

I'm not sure that this is the right forum to post this topic in, so if not, please feel free to move it.

Without wanting to offend the designer of these new frames, whose intention - I'm sure - it was to improve the "look" of the site - I personally think the frames are just ugly. The pages are cluttered enough as they are - no need to make things even worse by putting these fat grey frames around every box there is, big or small.

What do others think?

Any
... See more
I'm not sure that this is the right forum to post this topic in, so if not, please feel free to move it.

Without wanting to offend the designer of these new frames, whose intention - I'm sure - it was to improve the "look" of the site - I personally think the frames are just ugly. The pages are cluttered enough as they are - no need to make things even worse by putting these fat grey frames around every box there is, big or small.

What do others think?

Any chance of going back to the old design? I liked it MUCH better.

LB
Collapse

Jocelyne S
Jocelyne S  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
Blueboard Jul 23, 2009

I too find the new design a bit disconcerting, but I imagine that I will get used to it over time.

There do seem to be some odd spacing issues, however, which make things slightly less attractive than before.

The Blueboard, for example: The large grey box at the top of the screen takes up way too much space with the "Note from site staff" (I don't know if this is visible in all entries, but it is at least for outsourcers with more than one office/BB entry). The menu on
... See more
I too find the new design a bit disconcerting, but I imagine that I will get used to it over time.

There do seem to be some odd spacing issues, however, which make things slightly less attractive than before.

The Blueboard, for example: The large grey box at the top of the screen takes up way too much space with the "Note from site staff" (I don't know if this is visible in all entries, but it is at least for outsourcers with more than one office/BB entry). The menu on the right side of the screen (overview, search results, recent enquiries, etc.) also seems to take up far too much space and results in the actual comments being somewhat scrunched together on the left side of the screen (they should go all the way to the edge of the page rather than having a large, empty, white margin on the right). The LWA entries appear practically in the middle of the page and look a bit out of place.

I also preferred the spacing of the WWA boxes on profile pages before ("entries" no longer appears on the same line as "XX positive").

Again, I admit to being a creature of habit, so all of these changes may just need a bit of time to get used to, I guess.

In any case, thanks for constantly working to make the site better!
Best,
Jocelyne
Collapse

Cetacea
Cetacea  Identity Verified
Switzerland
English to German
+ ...
No offense, either, but... Jul 23, 2009

LittleBalu wrote:
Without wanting to offend the designer of these new frames, whose intention - I'm sure - it was to improve the "look" of the site - I personally think the frames are just ugly.

Little Bau is right: The frames are ugly. Please go back to the old design--or another one.

Colin Brady
Colin Brady  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 19:50
French to English
+ ...
Design updates Jul 23, 2009

Hi LittleBalu,

Thanks for the feedback, it' been noted.

I've been gradually making design updates to the site, and will continue in the next weeks/months to come.

Hi Jocelyne,

Thanks for pointing out the WWA box wrapping issue. I'll fix that as soon as I get into the office. (I also don't understand why the text is red, so I'll probably being changing that too.)

Ulrike Kraemer
Ulrike Kraemer
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Colin Jul 23, 2009

Colin B. wrote:

Hi LittleBalu,

Thanks for the feedback, it' been noted.

I've been gradually making design updates to the site, and will continue in the next weeks/months to come.

Hi, Colin. Thanks for responding so quickly. I do like the changes you've made so far - and in particular the new search form! The site looks a lot better now than it used to.

The grey frames are the only thing that's annoying/irritating me because they are so FAT. Any chance of prescribing them a diet to get them to slim down a bit?

Colin Brady
Colin Brady  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 19:50
French to English
+ ...
Maybe... Jul 23, 2009

LittleBalu wrote:

Hi, Colin. Thanks for responding so quickly. I do like the changes you've made so far - and in particular the new search form! The site looks a lot better now than it used to.

The grey frames are the only thing that's annoying/irritating me because they are so FAT. Any chance of prescribing them a diet to get them to slim down a bit?

Thanks!

We'll see, I'm going to keep making updates, and probably remove the boxes from some places altogether.

Thanks again for the feedback!

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:50
Member (2008)
Italian to English
I don't mind but Jul 24, 2009

I noticed these frames and was puzzled by them. I don't think they add anything to the usability of the site.

Also: the Proz.site is already quite resource-hungry. Anything that requires additional bandwidth/processor power, and isn't strictly necessary, should be avoided.

BUt I don't really mind one way or the other - I am fortunate to be very near my local telephone exchange and I have a very fast Internet connection. BUt others may not have such a good connection, a
... See more
I noticed these frames and was puzzled by them. I don't think they add anything to the usability of the site.

Also: the Proz.site is already quite resource-hungry. Anything that requires additional bandwidth/processor power, and isn't strictly necessary, should be avoided.

BUt I don't really mind one way or the other - I am fortunate to be very near my local telephone exchange and I have a very fast Internet connection. BUt others may not have such a good connection, and too many frames, etc., would tend to make their connection slower. And if they have a low-power processor or video RAM, then their computer would have to waste cycles drawing those frames.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Fat grey frames around menus, boxes, KudoZ answers, etc. - Do we really need them?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »