Thread poster: Özden Arıkan
Özden Arıkan
Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 04:10
English to Turkish
+ ...
Jul 25, 2009

As you view a received IM message (referring to the messages sent clicking on the green -or sometimes red- P on a person's profile), you see two buttons right at the bottom of the window: "Report As Spam" and "Delete." Exactly like the "Reply", "Quote" etc. buttons on forum message windows. Moreover, if you want to reply to a received message, you need to scroll down a bit to see the field titled "Reply," since the received message covers almost all of your screen (althogh this would probably va... See more
As you view a received IM message (referring to the messages sent clicking on the green -or sometimes red- P on a person's profile), you see two buttons right at the bottom of the window: "Report As Spam" and "Delete." Exactly like the "Reply", "Quote" etc. buttons on forum message windows. Moreover, if you want to reply to a received message, you need to scroll down a bit to see the field titled "Reply," since the received message covers almost all of your screen (althogh this would probably vary depending on your browser). The result is you may well hit the "Report As Spam" or "Delete" button when you want to reply to a message. To make things worse, at least for the "Delete" function there is no prompt to ask you to confirm. I know it for a fact, because I once accidentally deleted a message while trying to reply and another one has just survived being reported as spam (And to make things still worse, deleted messages are not filed anywhere. Once you hit "Delete," it's gone forever!)

OK, maybe it's only me, but I still want to suggest a little improvement for that interface:

1) Add a "Reply" button that stands apart from the other two to avoid confusion. For instance, "Reply" button standing alone on the left, the other two buttons on the right. Or, if you won't do it, move the "Spam" and "Delete" buttons somewhere else. Keeping them right under the message window is dangerous.

2) Add prompts that would ask you to confirm your request to report a message as spam or delete it, so that no message would get deleted or convicted accidentally.

3) Add a "Deleted" messages folder on the interface, in addition to the "Inbox" and "Sent" messages folders, even better with an additional function of "permanent delete."

Happy weekend!

Özden
Collapse

Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
"Reply" button and confirmation steps added to ProZ.com messages Jul 28, 2009

Hi Özden,

Thanks for these suggestions. A Reply button that automatically scrolls down the page to the Reply area was added to the bottom of ProZ.com messages. The option was made more prominent than the Report as SPAM and Delete Message buttons to avoid confusion.

Also, confirmation steps were added for both Report as SPAM and Delete M
... See more
Hi Özden,

Thanks for these suggestions. A Reply button that automatically scrolls down the page to the Reply area was added to the bottom of ProZ.com messages. The option was made more prominent than the Report as SPAM and Delete Message buttons to avoid confusion.

Also, confirmation steps were added for both Report as SPAM and Delete Message actions.

As for the possibility to add a Deleted messages folder, it is still being evaluated. I will let you know when I have any news.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Lucia
Collapse

Özden Arıkan
Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 04:10
English to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Lucia Jul 28, 2009

If I delete messages again, I'll have no one but myself to blame now

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

A more intuitive interface for profile IM

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »