"Countdown" Clock for Job Postings
Thread poster: Arabic & More
Arabic & More
Arabic & More  Identity Verified
Jordan
Arabic to English
+ ...
Jul 20, 2021

I have a small suggestion that might be useful to people like me who have trouble calculating the time left before it is allowed to quote on a job. When faced with the following, I have often wished that the notice could be accompanied by a "countdown" clock that would display how much time is actually left (in this case, 12 hours).

This job is restricted to
ProZ.com paying members.
Members-only until: 21 Jul 2021 11:25 EEST (GMT+3)
Current time: 20 Jul 2021 23:25
... See more
I have a small suggestion that might be useful to people like me who have trouble calculating the time left before it is allowed to quote on a job. When faced with the following, I have often wished that the notice could be accompanied by a "countdown" clock that would display how much time is actually left (in this case, 12 hours).

ProZ.com paying members.
Current time: 20 Jul 2021 23:25 EEST (GMT+3)

Is this something that might be possible to implement?
Collapse

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 08:46
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Agree ... Jul 21, 2021

Arabic & More wrote:

ProZ.com paying members.
Current time: 20 Jul 2021 23:25 EEST (GMT+3)

Is this something that might be possible to implement?

... and I would further suggest that this clock should be accompanied by a life scale showing the "best price" offered so far. And if there are too many applicants, a kind of "wheel of fortune" should be introduced, to simplify the selection process among those who undershot a certain threshold (i.e. reflecting the minimum wage of the country of the bidder calculated then for the entire job and calculated against the lowest offer).

[Bearbeitet am 2021-07-21 07:40 GMT]

Christopher Schröder
expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio
Robert Forstag

Robert Forstag
Robert Forstag  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:46
Spanish to English
+ ...
In case of ties Jul 22, 2021

I'm wondering if it might be possible for bidders to post one-minute video presentations making their case as to why they are the best person for a particular job.

The idea would be for this procedure to be implemented in cases where there is a tie for lowest bid - kind of analogous to a round of penalty kicks in football.

After all, anyone can work for peanuts. But how many translators can make a convincing case in front of a camera that they will be very happy to do
... See more
I'm wondering if it might be possible for bidders to post one-minute video presentations making their case as to why they are the best person for a particular job.

The idea would be for this procedure to be implemented in cases where there is a tie for lowest bid - kind of analogous to a round of penalty kicks in football.

After all, anyone can work for peanuts. But how many translators can make a convincing case in front of a camera that they will be very happy to do so?
Collapse

Matthias Brombach
P.L.F. Persio

Matthias Brombach
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
I generally agree ... Jul 22, 2021

Robert Forstag wrote:

After all, anyone can work for peanuts. But how many translators can make a convincing case in front of a camera that they will be very happy to do so?

... but wouldn't that mean that not only the cheapest bidders with the highest degrees would only have a chance, but on top of it the best looking bidders?

Robert Forstag
P.L.F. Persio

Robert Forstag
Robert Forstag  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:46
Spanish to English
+ ...
Reality check Jul 22, 2021

Matthias Brombach wrote:

Robert Forstag wrote:

... but wouldn't that mean that not only the cheapest bidders with the highest degrees would only have a chance, but on top of it the best looking bidders?

We must face the facts. In the common language combinations, we are very much in a buyer's market. Offering rock-bottom prices and possessing degrees and certifications - even the red "P - are no longer enough to stand apart from the herd.

Matthias Brombach
P.L.F. Persio

Matthias Brombach
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
But I ... Jul 22, 2021

Robert Forstag wrote:

We must face the facts. In the common language combinations, we are very much in a buyer's market. Offering rock-bottom prices and possessing degrees and certifications - even the red "P - are no longer enough to stand apart from the herd.

... as an electronician and service technician could offer to wire or fix the electrical installations in the homes and flats of the PMs as a bonus, after the working days, in the weekends and even on Christmas, to please them. Of course for free. I would bring my own coffee and sleep in the car.

Robert Forstag
P.L.F. Persio

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"Countdown" Clock for Job Postings

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »