We may disagree with each other but let’s not attack each other’s personalities.
Thread poster: Jerold Stamp
Jerold Stamp
Jerold Stamp  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 10:44
Member (2002)
Italian to English
+ ...
Oct 23, 2001

We may disagree with each other but let’s not attack each other’s personalities.

A recent discussion on the list become rather heated and drifted from the issue at hand to personal attacks against the personalities of ProZ members involved. I’m not going to say manes and my plea is not against any given member of Proz in particular.

I know that probably no good came out of the discussion other than reminding us of our human propensity to err.
... See more

A recent discussion on the list become rather heated and drifted from the issue at hand to personal attacks against the personalities of ProZ members involved. I’m not going to say manes and my plea is not against any given member of Proz in particular.

I know that probably no good came out of the discussion other than reminding us of our human propensity to err. Interestingly enough, the persons involved are very active at ProZ and have made great contributions to the site.

ProZ is meant for professionals, or so the name “ProZ” would suggest. True professionals take their jobs and these discussions seriously and they should, when talking about translation issues. This particular discussion however drifted from dealing with issues to attacking personalities. This is an on-line discussion and “the world is watching” so to say. I can certainly understand how a person could be offended and taken back by attacks to their personality in a public forum like this one, and I certainly can understand then how that individual would try to defend his image in front of the members of the group. I, for one, use Proz for work and that means feeding and clothing my family and I would take any attack to my person very seriously. This ugly personal aggression, apart from being a serious issue, may also be considered a minor form of “violence” and really has no place on a professional forum.

What would you others recommend we do, however, when someone does make an aggressive personal insult to your person on ProZ. How can, and how should we defend ourselves, and what can be done to prevent it in the first place?

Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »