Pages sur ce sujet:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6]
Mud slinging on Kudoz questions
Auteur du fil: Berni Armstrong
Terence Riley
Terence Riley
Local time: 15:38
anglais
Comments on the comments :-) May 7, 2002

First of all, to Ildiko V-Wentworth, I just wish to say \"you\'re welcome\" and in turn to thank you too.

Also, on behalf of John Kinory, I referred to a a nasty personal email. Well, in fairness, I think the nastiness was more in my reaction than in his intention. And furthermore, I\'m capable of dashing off some pretty nasty emails myself. Let me just say that after John and I bashed one another around a bit, we managed to find an amicable meeting ground in the end. I want
... See more
First of all, to Ildiko V-Wentworth, I just wish to say \"you\'re welcome\" and in turn to thank you too.

Also, on behalf of John Kinory, I referred to a a nasty personal email. Well, in fairness, I think the nastiness was more in my reaction than in his intention. And furthermore, I\'m capable of dashing off some pretty nasty emails myself. Let me just say that after John and I bashed one another around a bit, we managed to find an amicable meeting ground in the end. I want to give credit to John for not slamming the door and enabling diplomacy to reign in the end.

Also thanks to the other comments directed at my own post. I agree with Kim about how chain reactions can develop that lead to hardening of attitudes, which in turn are so devastating to communication. (Excuse me, Kim, if I don\'t do justice to your points in my paraphrasing.) There is something about the Internet that draws us all into our computer screens, leading us to behave in fashions we never would in real life (that point has been made in this thread before). When communication is written only, it\'s all too easy to jump to conclusions and then the anonymity permits us to unload without hesitation. I\'ve certainly been guilty of this myself on many occasions.

Perhaps we should all do what a chess grand-master used to do (you\'ll recognize this, John). He used to sit on his hands while the other player made moves, to check his impulses on too hastily making his own counter-move. This would force him to rethink his move before he\'d actually put his hands on a chess piece.

Many times, I\'ve wished I\'d sat on my hands for a while before I hit the keyboard. And once typed, it\'s difficult for most egos to resist hitting the \'send\' button. Contrariwise (how\'s that for a word amidst a bunch of translators and linguists), I\'ve been glad on those all too rare occasions when I\'ve forced myself to delay a response for a few hours. After a break of even just a few hours, what issued from my fingertips was of an entirely different nature than what I would have written as an immediate response. Perhaps not the points I wished to make, but certainly the manner in which I made them.

Anyway, I think it might be good for all Internet users to step back from time to time and remind themselves on the one hand that real people are at the other end, while on the other hand, those people are total strangers and we cannot form very accurate pictures from the written word. Heaven knows our pictures are inaccurate enough even when we are face to face with others.

I just hope I don\'t have to stop making bad jokes! Now that would be crushing!
Collapse

Terence Riley
Terence Riley
anglais
Apropos of nothing May 7, 2002

John Kinory wrote:

Quote:

Yesterday I was shown a text by a client: he wanted to know if the translator was really British as he\'d claimed. In the first paragraph I was able to spot 4 utter howlers, dead giveaways: this guy was thinking in German.

I have to say that I laughed aloud at that. I could sure identify with that, John! It\'s why the localization industry (at least localiz... See more
John Kinory wrote:

Quote:

Yesterday I was shown a text by a client: he wanted to know if the translator was really British as he\'d claimed. In the first paragraph I was able to spot 4 utter howlers, dead giveaways: this guy was thinking in German.

I have to say that I laughed aloud at that. I could sure identify with that, John! It\'s why the localization industry (at least localization companies in Ireland) will employ or sub-contract only native speakers to do their translations. I\'ve seen some of the funniest stuff in my life in collections of translations - for instance, signs appearing in places like international airports. Tears would roll down your face.

I don\'t know how many people remember or were familiar with NeXT computers. They were very early developers of adding voice messages to email, which in those days was primarily an inhouse communication facility. When you put a voice message in an email on a NeXT computer, it added a pair of voluptuous lips to the message, which was the link to the message. NeXT called this feature, \"Lip Service\".

Well, I have to tell you, the hilarity which ensued amidst the French translators was something! They scratched their heads a lot over it and tried to find the phrase which would do the trick without being long and without being... well, you know... lewd. (Good thing no one had ever heard of Monica.... well, you know... in those days!)

Anyway, just an aside.

or...

Just an aside, that was.

Or....

That just an aside was.

Hmmmm... what would Yoda say? ▲ Collapse

John Kinory (X)
John Kinory (X)
anglais vers hébreu
+ ...
Comments on comments on ... aww, forgeddit :-))) May 7, 2002

At least equal credit goes to Terence for being patient, and for being willing and able to meet halfway )

And boy, wasn\'t he half quick and sharp in picking subtle logical flaws in my arguments, when I had failed to edit them prior to posting {G}. Intellectual fencing with someone like that is a pleasure!

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-05-21 15:37 ]

John Kinory (X)
John Kinory (X)
anglais vers hébreu
+ ...
Have a look at how moderators behave May 11, 2002

http://www.proz.com/?sp=bb/viewtopic&eid_c=8804&topic=2703&forum=23&14

Paola claims she \'didn\'t see a lot of misbehaviour there\'. Really? What about this (from a moderator, namely Marcus Malabad!):

1. When Giovanni made concrete and factual points that were not to MM\'s liking, the latter told the former \'stick to your hobby\'. That\'s
... See more
http://www.proz.com/?sp=bb/viewtopic&eid_c=8804&topic=2703&forum=23&14

Paola claims she \'didn\'t see a lot of misbehaviour there\'. Really? What about this (from a moderator, namely Marcus Malabad!):

1. When Giovanni made concrete and factual points that were not to MM\'s liking, the latter told the former \'stick to your hobby\'. That\'s known as flaming (aka boorish rudeness).

2. When I protested, MM called me a freak. That\'s called Neanderthal boorish rudeness. Anybody else would have been severely told off by Henry for such behaviour, probably even threatened with expulsion.

A moderator posting a private email in public is not misbehaviour? A moderator calling another member \'freak\' in public is not misbehaviour? Just how hypocritical CAN you get?

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-05-21 15:39 ]
Collapse

CLS Lexi-tech
CLS Lexi-tech
Local time: 10:38
anglais vers italien
+ ...
How do moderators behave? May 14, 2002

Sorry, John, I did not see a lot of misbehaviour there.

take care

paola l m

Mike Sekine
Mike Sekine  Identity Verified
Japon
Local time: 23:38
anglais vers japonais
+ ...
Boy, do you smell serious mudslinging? May 14, 2002

Quote:

2. When I protested, MM called me a freak. That\'s called Neanderthal boorish rudeness. Anybody else would have been severely told off by Henry for such behaviour, probably even threatened with expulsion.

Somebody alert the moderator for this forum.. serious mudslinging is about to begin! It doesn\'t take The Rock to smell what this is cookin\'!

A... See more
Quote:

Somebody alert the moderator for this forum.. serious mudslinging is about to begin! It doesn\'t take The Rock to smell what this is cookin\'!

And please, John, no private e-mails of threatening nature.

Mike ▲ Collapse

John Kinory (X)
John Kinory (X)
anglais vers hébreu
+ ...
What took you so long? May 14, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-05-14 15:35, Mike Sekine, aka Russel Crowe (his own choice of picture for his profile, a few weeks ago) wrote:

Somebody alert the moderator for this forum. serious mudslinging is about to begin! It doesn\'t take The Rock to smell what this is cookin\'!

In Kudoz questions, you start flaming a heck of a lot sooner than this: you are slipping!

... See more
Quote:

On 2002-05-14 15:35, Mike Sekine, aka Russel Crowe (his own choice of picture for his profile, a few weeks ago) wrote:

Somebody alert the moderator for this forum. serious mudslinging is about to begin! It doesn\'t take The Rock to smell what this is cookin\'!

In Kudoz questions, you start flaming a heck of a lot sooner than this: you are slipping!

The mudslinging is not about to begin: it started quite some time ago, with a posting from Marcus; then continued with several more from other members, now including you. You must have smelled something and made your way over, right?

This thread started in a civilised way. It immediately deteriorated into mudslinging, with all the usual flamers (see above and below) posting abuse to such an extent that Proz staff had to delete their slanderous statements. Just check with Berni if you don\'t believe me.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-05-21 15:32 ]Collapse

Maya Jurt
Maya Jurt  Identity Verified
Suisse
Local time: 16:38
français vers allemand
+ ...
Maybe we should be a little less tolerant... May 16, 2002

Ouch, what made me click on that subject again? Curiosity I guess. But it is the same all over. It starts with a very interesting point in a very civilized way. Soon after, some people, always the same, walk in with their sarcastic comments. Flaming is not far, mudslinging follows.

We tolerate them. ok. Now let\'s simply ignore them.

(The one I meant should abstain from answering this. Otherwise, it will be too obvious.)

Robin Ward
Robin Ward
Allemagne
Local time: 16:38
allemand vers anglais
+ ...
It's rather pitiful ..... May 22, 2002

Having stumbled on this forum more by chance and glanced over some of the rather childish accusations and counter-accusations I can only say: what a waste of intellectual and time resources which could be put to far more constructive and creative use. Reminds me somewhat of Lantra, which is at times even worse and suffers somewhat from far too lax moderation.

Makes me wonder - do some of you actually do anything to earn a living, or do you get paid by the line by a generous
... See more
Having stumbled on this forum more by chance and glanced over some of the rather childish accusations and counter-accusations I can only say: what a waste of intellectual and time resources which could be put to far more constructive and creative use. Reminds me somewhat of Lantra, which is at times even worse and suffers somewhat from far too lax moderation.

Makes me wonder - do some of you actually do anything to earn a living, or do you get paid by the line by a generous sponsor for publicly insulting each other?
Collapse

Maureen Holm, J.D., LL.M.
Maureen Holm, J.D., LL.M.
États-Unis
Local time: 10:38
allemand vers anglais
+ ...
Jaw-Dropping May 9, 2003

Klaus\'s remark is simply jaw-dropping. The friendliest blush I can put on it is that it\'s self-serving, rather like the Presbyterian calling the Methodist a heathen.

Pages sur ce sujet:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Mud slinging on Kudoz questions

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »