Jacek Krankowski (X)
Jacek Krankowski (X)  Identity Verified
angol - lengyel
+ ...
TÉMAINDÍTÓ
Perhaps common sense is more important than sanitization Feb 24, 2003

Quote:

On Feb 23, arbeit wrote:

It does not matter what you say, do or think there will be always a person to find it wrong.

Sanitization alone will apparently not help to solve all the problems:

http://www.proz.com/?sp=bb/viewtopic&forum_id=30&topic_id=8848

... See more
Quote:

On Feb 23, arbeit wrote:

It does not matter what you say, do or think there will be always a person to find it wrong.

Sanitization alone will apparently not help to solve all the problems:

http://www.proz.com/?sp=bb/viewtopic&forum_id=30&topic_id=8848

Perhaps common sense and moderation would? One way of keeping those alive is talking, not gagging. ▲ Collapse

Jacek Krankowski (X)
Jacek Krankowski (X)  Identity Verified
angol - lengyel
+ ...
TÉMAINDÍTÓ
¿Trabajamos para mejorar? May 9, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-02-24 08:26, jacek wrote:

whether one wants to allow discussion or not within an organisation is a business decision the owner is always free to make.

We all know why last winter tensions started running high and the ProZ

no-politics rule started being enforced, i.e. forum threads of \"forbidden\" nature were blocked or deleted. But while it is fair to start implement... See more
Quote:

On 2003-02-24 08:26, jacek wrote:

whether one wants to allow discussion or not within an organisation is a business decision the owner is always free to make.

We all know why last winter tensions started running high and the ProZ

no-politics rule started being enforced, i.e. forum threads of \"forbidden\" nature were blocked or deleted. But while it is fair to start implementing a rule, to apply it retroactively is a whole different story. What recently shocked me was that someone actually had taken the time to dig in the ProZ archives and sanitize past discussions there too. Try to view the following discussion I referred to at the beginning of this thread:

http://www.proz.com/index.php3?sp=bb/viewtopic&mode=viewtopic&topic_id=5009&. It had NOT been considered subversive last fall and was quietly, in peace and order, sitting undisturbed and forgotten since then, buried under layers of hundreds of new topics on the Spanish forum. Until after I mentioned it here last February. No, my friends, you do not go around libraries deleting the word A from their holdings only because you have decided to call it B from now on.

Which brings me to the following conclusion: One can build a database, such

as KudoZ or Resources Forum, provided that they are owned by a predictable corporation. What happened with the retroactive cleansing of the Forum archives was that it jeopardized that predictability. In other words, I no

longer have certainty that my KudoZ entries, for instance, will not be found

one day to be politically incorrect and some obtuse and overzealous censor will not decide to revise this time Glossary archives in another round of purges.

Under the circumstances, I have decided to remove my profile from ProZ as I cannot be associated with an unpredictable venture where rules are enforced retroactively and even the archives purged. No memory, no past--no membership. This is, of course, a matter of principle and not of any crusade. I will think which charity the partial refund of my Platinum should go to.

Hope to see again some of you in the real world or on other websites,

Jacek ▲ Collapse

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 07:00
WEBOLDAL ALAPÍTÓJA
A useful link: freedom and ethics May 9, 2003

Jacek,

If, as you say, you owe the members of the site an explanation, don\'t you owe them the real one? When you resigned from the moderator role, you gave one explanation. You are giving a different one now. Neither was honest.

I would have preferred to attribute your actions to a simple difference of personality and let it go at that. Unfortunately, your intentional misrepresentations, and failure to divulge biases, does damage to the reputation of t
... See more
Jacek,

If, as you say, you owe the members of the site an explanation, don\'t you owe them the real one? When you resigned from the moderator role, you gave one explanation. You are giving a different one now. Neither was honest.

I would have preferred to attribute your actions to a simple difference of personality and let it go at that. Unfortunately, your intentional misrepresentations, and failure to divulge biases, does damage to the reputation of this site, its users and its moderators. I am therefore obliged to point out that:

(1) There has been no retroactive purging of the KudoZ or forum databases. (Of course, you know that.)

(2) The \"no politics\" rule has been in existence since the beginning; it was you who changed your stance. For almost three years you accepted the rule implicitly, and for about three months you accepted it explicitly. What changed? Specifically, what changed yesterday?

(3) You now work for another site, a competitor of ProZ.com. You have actively recruited members from this site to that one. You have reposted jobs originally posted here without making appropriate copyright notice. You have defamed the site, and me personally, and made private communications public.

I don\'t intend to say much more on this matter. Debate will get us nowhere, and I prefer to spend my working hours making this site better. Likewise, I suggest you spend your time making your new site better. But if you intend to claim the moral high ground, here is a link you might find useful. It contains excerpts from the codes of ethics of journalists in 60 countries: http://www.presswise.org.uk/Freedom.htm

Here is one, from our French colleagues:

--------------------------

A journalist worthy of the name

* does not make use of the freedom of the press with profit-seeking intentions;

--------------------------
Collapse

A témához tartozó oldalak:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Bliss?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »