Arabic to English
+ ...
Feb 1, 2009

Hi All,

A client of mine has asked me to render translation in Indesign in

PDF,
Outline, and
Unoutline.

I don't know what is meant by the Outline/'unoutline' file. Sorry guys, I am new to such DTP requests.

Hope that I've chosen the right forum to post!

Roberta Anderson
Roberta Anderson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 02:58
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
"Create Outlines" feature in InDesign to convert text to graphics Feb 2, 2009

Hi Samir

what I think your client means is that he wants a copy of the document exported as it is (what I think he means by "unoutline") as PDF, and another copy exported as PDF after all text has been converted to outline (command: Type > Create Outlines).

What Create Outlines does is convert your text to vector graphics, so that it can be seen and printed also on systems where the font used is not installed. This however may result in thicker-looking text and some fea
... See more
Hi Samir

what I think your client means is that he wants a copy of the document exported as it is (what I think he means by "unoutline") as PDF, and another copy exported as PDF after all text has been converted to outline (command: Type > Create Outlines).

What Create Outlines does is convert your text to vector graphics, so that it can be seen and printed also on systems where the font used is not installed. This however may result in thicker-looking text and some features (like underlining, bullets, rules above or below paragraphs) may be lost.

Another safer way of converting text to graphics (instead of using Create Outline) is described in this article:
http://indesignsecrets.com/converting-text-to-outlines-the-right-way.php

When you create a PDF, the default setting is to allow embedding of all fonts used anyway, so that the file will look OK also if the font is not installed in the viewer's system.

Hope this helps,
Roberta
Collapse

Samir Sami
Samir Sami
Qatar
Local time: 03:58
Arabic to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Roberta Feb 2, 2009

Actually I thought of it that way, if it were not for other client requirements which draw me away from the Create Outlines. I thought this is what he meant by "outlined":

http://creativebits.org/outlines_in_indesigns

I think he needs it exported to different file formats. As for the text outlines, it's ok and can be easily done as you know, but as you said it may p
... See more
Actually I thought of it that way, if it were not for other client requirements which draw me away from the Create Outlines. I thought this is what he meant by "outlined":

http://creativebits.org/outlines_in_indesigns

I think he needs it exported to different file formats. As for the text outlines, it's ok and can be easily done as you know, but as you said it may prevent some editing features, which I believe will be necessary for later phases.

I thought the PDF will be enough, but you know DTP requests! Though I had a problem exporting it in Indesign! "Program encountered a problem and needs to close."

Thanks a lot for your help, Roberta.
Collapse

Roberta Anderson
Roberta Anderson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 02:58
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
Create Outlines on a copy of the file Feb 2, 2009

Hi Samir

I checked your link, and it also deals with text coutlines.

Make sure you apply "Create Outlines" (or the "Flatten" alternative described in the link I povided above) only at the end of the project and on a copy of the InDesign file, so as to retain editable text in the original file.

If you want to leave the InDesign file alone, then you can try converting text to outlines in Illustrator, on a copy of the exported PDF instead of the InDesign file,
... See more
Hi Samir

I checked your link, and it also deals with text coutlines.

Make sure you apply "Create Outlines" (or the "Flatten" alternative described in the link I povided above) only at the end of the project and on a copy of the InDesign file, so as to retain editable text in the original file.

If you want to leave the InDesign file alone, then you can try converting text to outlines in Illustrator, on a copy of the exported PDF instead of the InDesign file, as described in the discussion from your link.

About your export problem:
Before exporting, save the document with "Save as..." (not just "Save)
Also, check that all links are OK and all fonts are available (Type > Find Font - unavailbale fonts have a yellow alert symbol).

hope this helps,
Roberta
P.S. - I have no experience with arabic script, though, so I can only help with generic ID advice
P.P.S. - I am moving this to the "Software Applications" forum

[Edited at 2009-02-02 08:45 GMT]
Collapse

Samir Sami
Samir Sami
Qatar
Local time: 03:58
Arabic to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Indesign Closes without warning message! Feb 2, 2009

I followed your instructions, and this time Indesign closed immediately!
It's ok. I managed to get the file exported on another computer with an earlier version of Indesign (CS2).

Now believe it or not,
Outlined means to have the document divided into two sections!

This is the client's definition

Grazie, Roberta
... See more
I followed your instructions, and this time Indesign closed immediately!
It's ok. I managed to get the file exported on another computer with an earlier version of Indesign (CS2).

Now believe it or not,
Outlined means to have the document divided into two sections!

This is the client's definition

Grazie, Roberta.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Outline/Unoutline in InDesign

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »