Tamer Mekhimar  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 15:51
Member (2009)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Sep 4, 2009

Hi all;
I would like to get your help regarding the technique and software used for testing software.
I will be grateful if you give detailed info or resources.

Thanks in advance.

Tamer

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 14:51
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Some pointers Sep 4, 2009

Tamer Mekhimar wrote:
I would like to get your help regarding the technique and software used for testing software.

First, you need information. Get Bert Esselink's book "Practical Guide to Localization" to start you off in the right direction. It focuses on Windows and Mac. For a FLOSS view, take a look at http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/FOSS_Localization and http://en.flossmanuals.net/opentranslationtools .

Second, your question is too broad. What do you want to test? In what programming language is your software written? What are the limits of what you can change (or ask to have changed) if you encounter an error or a problem?

Tamer Mekhimar
Tamer Mekhimar  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 15:51
Member (2009)
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
More info Sep 4, 2009

Thanks Samuel for your help. Actually, I need to get info about this field and where should I start? what books or courses can I take? What are the tools can I use?

Again, thank you.

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 07:51
Spanish
+ ...
Very broad topic indeed Sep 4, 2009

Different clients have different needs, they might request functionality testing, cosmetic testing, both. Usually agencies send very detailed instructions on the steps and on what you need to report. They can also give you access to fix the cosmetic issues yourself (e.g. a missing colon, a broken link) or just report them.

I found Esselink's book very useful but there's also a lot of information online. One advice I can give you if you start doing testing, get multiple monitors. I u
... See more
Different clients have different needs, they might request functionality testing, cosmetic testing, both. Usually agencies send very detailed instructions on the steps and on what you need to report. They can also give you access to fix the cosmetic issues yourself (e.g. a missing colon, a broken link) or just report them.

I found Esselink's book very useful but there's also a lot of information online. One advice I can give you if you start doing testing, get multiple monitors. I usually keep the instructions, the software and the bug report on different monitors.

Good luck,

Claudia

PS. This thread should be in the Localization area.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Software Testing

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »