How to select Acrobat Reader as browser plugin?
Thread poster: NGK
NGK
NGK  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:23
May 1, 2004

I have both Adobe Acrobat 5 and Acrobat Reader 5 installed on my PC (Win XP, IE 6). I've got Windows set up so that clicking on a PDF file will open it in Acrobat Reader (rather than the full Acrobat, which is horribly bulky and takes forever to load).

However, when I view a PDF via the WWW, Internet Explorer uses the full Acrobat as a plugin rather than Reader, which I would prefer. How can I tell IE to use Acrobat Reader as a plugin?

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 16:23
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Perhaps you find help here: May 2, 2004

http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/98fe.htm

PAS
PAS  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:23
Polish to English
+ ...
The Q&D way May 2, 2004

1. In Windows Explorer go to "folder options" and choose the "file types" tab. Scroll to the PDF extension and select it (i.e. highlight it);
in the "Open using..." line the application for PDF files is probably Adobe Acrobat.

2. click "Change".
In the dialog that opens scroll down to find Acrobat Reader, select it and click OK.

Now the default application for opening PDF files should be Acrobat Reader.

Now, part 2 of this tutorial...
See more
1. In Windows Explorer go to "folder options" and choose the "file types" tab. Scroll to the PDF extension and select it (i.e. highlight it);
in the "Open using..." line the application for PDF files is probably Adobe Acrobat.

2. click "Change".
In the dialog that opens scroll down to find Acrobat Reader, select it and click OK.

Now the default application for opening PDF files should be Acrobat Reader.

Now, part 2 of this tutorial
There are some things you can do in Reader itself to speed up loading, namely:

In Acrobat Reader click "edit" then go down to click "preferences". A window with a column of choices on the left will open:

Get rid of the splash screen: Startup > Display splash screen - uncheck that

Internet:
uncheck 'Display PDF in browser' and 'Check browser settings'. check 'allow fast web view'.

These work for me and have visibly, if not dramatically decreased PDF loading times.
The moral of the story is, that while seemingly convenient, opening a PDF document in IE is slower than opening it in a separate Reader window. Don't know why. Somebody told me this a while ago and I listened.

HTH
Pawel Skalinski
Collapse

NGK
NGK  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:23
TOPIC STARTER
Pawel — May 2, 2004

Thanks for your suggestions.

Part 1 I had already implemented, which is why PDF's stored on my computer open in Acrobat Reader.

Part 2 helped in that opening Internet PDF's outside the browser and without splash screen does indeed speed up the process considerably. The computer still uses the full Acrobat program to open Internet PDF's though ... I still don't know how to change that ... but the important part is that web PDF's open more quickly now.

PAS
PAS  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:23
Polish to English
+ ...
Ahhh... read the instructions first!! May 2, 2004

I'm stumped. I have both applications installed (Reader 6 and Acrobat 5) and IE uses Reader to open documents. I have "check browser settings" unchecked in both Reader and Acrobat, if that's any help.
If I find something, I will let you know.

Pawel

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to select Acrobat Reader as browser plugin?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »