Thread poster: Kathleen Misson
Kathleen Misson
Kathleen Misson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 03:06
Member (2009)
Spanish to English
Jan 19, 2013

I have been using Quickbooks simple start for generating invoices but it is not ideal because it does not calculate IVA/IRPF automatically. I have been searching and searching and it seems there are not too many alternatives. Are there any translators in Spain who can tell me which accounting software they use? Thank you.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
None really Jan 19, 2013

I issue all my bills using Excel, from a simple template a friend prepared for me years ago, which I update and modify myself when need be. I am notoriously inept with tech issues and figures, but even I can do it. I basically either bill per word or per hour, so at 8 cents a word, 1000 words would be 80 euros, and subtracting the IRPF and adding the IVA to produce the net amount are done automatically. And now that both tax rates are 21%, it's easy as pie, since the gross amount now equals the... See more
I issue all my bills using Excel, from a simple template a friend prepared for me years ago, which I update and modify myself when need be. I am notoriously inept with tech issues and figures, but even I can do it. I basically either bill per word or per hour, so at 8 cents a word, 1000 words would be 80 euros, and subtracting the IRPF and adding the IVA to produce the net amount are done automatically. And now that both tax rates are 21%, it's easy as pie, since the gross amount now equals the net.Collapse

Lucy Leite
Lucy Leite  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2008)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Web-based tool Jan 19, 2013

I've been using Zoho invoicing tool for several years now and it's great. You can set up the taxes you want to pay, apply them to all invoices or not. But actually, the feature I like best is that it notifies me if an invoice is overdue, then after some days it notifies the client as well. Some people don't like web-based tools, but Zoho has always worked fine for me.

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
MS Word calculates like Excel Jan 19, 2013

neilmac wrote:

I issue all my bills using Excel, from a simple template a friend prepared for me years ago, which I update and modify myself when need be.

So do I. But I use a Word template instead of Excel, because I want nicely formatted invoices. Word can add, add up, multiply, ... just like Excel.

http://www.brighthub.com/computing/windows-platform/articles/15649.aspx

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
gestoría Jan 19, 2013

neilmac wrote:

And now that both tax rates are 21%, it's easy as pie,

Well, I can't agree with you on this one, Neil. Yes, the two taxes effectively cancel each other out for invoicing, but that's where the easy peasy bit stops.

A couple of years ago I downloaded and tried to use Sage but it seemed very complicated.

I've been doing my accounts with Excel for years now, but this last year things got really complex and I've just handed all my tax affairs to a gestor.
Some invoices are subject to VAT and others aren't (in Spain only), so I have to work out the percentage of deductible VAT, I have EU clients so I have to fill in the quarterly 349 model, then there's the annual 347, quarterly 349, 303 and 130 and on it goes.

I enjoyed learning how to use pivot tables in Excel to work out who had paid me more than €3,005 in a year, and which EU clients I'd worked for each quarter. I managed to set up formulae rounded to 2 decimal points and other nifty tricks. I thought I was doing quite well until Hacienda called me up for an inspection last year because I hadn't done the "prorrateo" correctly. End of story. I decided it was time to hand things over to a gestoría.

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
Gestoria and Translation Office 3000 Jan 19, 2013

I have been using TO3000 for more than 7 years now to easily generate my invoices from job details. One input only for each datum, so no risk of mistake carrying over amounts or wordcounts.
Once TO3000 is properly set up, IVA and IRPF are automatically computed, depending on country and invoice template (you can create one Word template for each client/country/whatever you like, populated with the data entered in TO3000).

I issue about 70 invoices and enter about 200-300 jobs
... See more
I have been using TO3000 for more than 7 years now to easily generate my invoices from job details. One input only for each datum, so no risk of mistake carrying over amounts or wordcounts.
Once TO3000 is properly set up, IVA and IRPF are automatically computed, depending on country and invoice template (you can create one Word template for each client/country/whatever you like, populated with the data entered in TO3000).

I issue about 70 invoices and enter about 200-300 jobs a year, and this program is perfect to keep track of everything: payments, invoicing, job deadlines, rates, discounted rates, urgent markups, marketing moves, quotations, customer details, contacts... Work files are kept in a clear folder tree. Now I just couldn't handle my business without it.

Then for the actual accounting side, I pay 70 euros exc VAT/month a gestor who does my IVA/IRPF returns for me. I e-mail them my invoice/payment lists generated with TO3000, bank statements and scanned invoices for expenses.

You probably can manage accurate accounting with TO3000 if you enter your business expenses in it. You can download a 30-day full trial version (http://www.to3000.com/) and see if it suits your way of working.

Emma goldsmith wrote:
...Hacienda called me up for an inspection...

How scary! For some reason I've always feared tax people. It's like being stopped by the guardia civil.

Philippe
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Accounting software (Spain)

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »