Thread poster: Matthias Herold
Matthias Herold
Matthias Herold
Austria
Local time: 09:13
English to German
+ ...
May 30, 2013

Does anybody know of a good software for proof reading?

I am working in the marketing department of a company where we use InDesign CS6 for writing all marketing brochures.

We use TRADOS for the translations and WorldServer for the translation management. Now we are looking for a software with which we could do our proof reading.

We write the original brochures in English which then get translated by an agency into German, French and Spanish. Up to now w
... See more
Does anybody know of a good software for proof reading?

I am working in the marketing department of a company where we use InDesign CS6 for writing all marketing brochures.

We use TRADOS for the translations and WorldServer for the translation management. Now we are looking for a software with which we could do our proof reading.

We write the original brochures in English which then get translated by an agency into German, French and Spanish. Up to now we then make PDFs of the translated InDesign-files and send them for proof reading to our in-house experts. The problem with this process is that we need to enter manually all changes made by a proof reader into the translation memory.

Therefore we are looking for some kind of software which could give us support here.

I would be happy if anybody could get me some information about this topic.

Thank you in advance!

Best regards.
Collapse

Shai Navé
Shai Navé  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 10:13
English to Hebrew
+ ...
This is not something Computers can do well May 30, 2013

Much like Machine Translation, Machine Proofreading cannot replace the human. In the best case scenario it can assist the human, and for the same reasons. From my experience, not as a user but an observer, their usefulness is limited.

You might find find the following line interesting for having some context about what these tools can
... See more
Much like Machine Translation, Machine Proofreading cannot replace the human. In the best case scenario it can assist the human, and for the same reasons. From my experience, not as a user but an observer, their usefulness is limited.

You might find find the following line interesting for having some context about what these tools can do.
http://goodcontentcompany.com/proofreading-test-roundup

There was a running sale on Proz sometime ago for WhiteSmoke, and there plenty of other online and some offline services/tools for that.
Collapse

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
The real problem is your workflow May 30, 2013

Murcielago70 wrote:
Up to now we then make PDFs of the translated InDesign-files and send them for proof reading to our in-house experts. The problem with this process is that we need to enter manually all changes made by a proof reader into the translation memory.

And this is the real problem. Proofreading should be done not in PDFs, but before conversion, in Trados. The proofreaders can use XBench and Verifika (I find this one especially useful). After final check you can update the TM and convert to PDFs. No software will help you with updating the TM after correcting files directly in the PDFs.

Matthias Herold
Matthias Herold
Austria
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for this information!!! May 30, 2013

Shai Nave wrote:

You might find find the following line interesting for having some context about what these tools can do.
http://goodcontentcompany.com/proofreading-test-roundup

There was a running sale on Proz sometime ago for WhiteSmoke, and there plenty of other online and some offline services/tools for that.

Matthias Herold
Matthias Herold
Austria
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! May 30, 2013

Thank you, I did not know about XBench or Verifika, but I will check out these tools.

Thanks...!!

Natalie wrote:

Murcielago70 wrote:
Up to now we then make PDFs of the translated InDesign-files and send them for proof reading to our in-house experts. The problem with this process is that we need to enter manually all changes made by a proof reader into the translation memory.

And this is the real problem. Proofreading should be done not in PDFs, but before conversion, in Trados. The proofreaders can use XBench and Verifika (I find this one especially useful). After final check you can update the TM and convert to PDFs. No software will help you with updating the TM after correcting files directly in the PDFs.

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
You are welcome May 30, 2013

And what about White Smoke, it is definitely not worth your money (you may make a search of the forums to find a few older discussions).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Looking for proof reading software

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »