I need a program that would help me to get a better sound quality of an audio file
Thread poster: LilianNekipelov
LilianNekipelov
LilianNekipelov  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:22
Russian to English
+ ...
Jun 27, 2013

Hi. I really need help. Is there any program that would help me to extract very unclear sounds from an audio file delivered as MSMediaPlayer file. The recording is really bad. I need to hear every single sound, and there is a lot of background noise. I would also like to play some parts of the file in a slow mode. What can do? Does anybody know how to get rid of this annoying visual patterns constantly changing on the screen when you listen to the recording?

[Edited at 20
... See more
Hi. I really need help. Is there any program that would help me to extract very unclear sounds from an audio file delivered as MSMediaPlayer file. The recording is really bad. I need to hear every single sound, and there is a lot of background noise. I would also like to play some parts of the file in a slow mode. What can do? Does anybody know how to get rid of this annoying visual patterns constantly changing on the screen when you listen to the recording?

[Edited at 2013-06-27 16:03 GMT]
Collapse

Piotr Bienkowski
Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 04:22
English to Polish
+ ...
Audacity Jun 27, 2013

LilianBNekipelo wrote:

Hi. I really need help. (...) Does anybody know how to get rid of this annoying visual patterns constantly changing on the screen when you listen to the recording?

[Edited at 2013-06-27 16:01 GMT]

It has some filters and you can slow down the playback. But if the quality is really poor, there are no miracles.

PB

Gül Kaya
Gül Kaya  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:22
Turkish to English
+ ...
Express Scribe Jun 27, 2013

Hi Lilian,

I use Express Scribe which you can slow down or speed up as much as you want. But as Piotr says, poor quality is poor quality.

Joshua Pepper
Joshua Pepper  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:22
French to English
+ ...
Audacity Jun 27, 2013

I agree with Piotr!

Audacity is great, free, and easy-to-use.

One desperate last resort that might help in Audacity is the noise removal function - by recording a sample of the background interference it can attempt to subtract it from the signal. This might make it easier to understand.

Edit: This only has a chance of working if the problematic background noise is in the form of white noise. It wouldn't be able to deal with coughing, o
... See more
I agree with Piotr!

Audacity is great, free, and easy-to-use.

One desperate last resort that might help in Audacity is the noise removal function - by recording a sample of the background interference it can attempt to subtract it from the signal. This might make it easier to understand.

Edit: This only has a chance of working if the problematic background noise is in the form of white noise. It wouldn't be able to deal with coughing, or shuffling, or the sound of a busy street, for example.

[Edited at 2013-06-27 16:16 GMT]
Collapse

Narcis Lozano Drago
Narcis Lozano Drago  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 04:22
Member (2007)
English to Spanish
+ ...
iZotope RX2 Jun 27, 2013

I use it and it does wonders for noise removal. It is professional audio software and therefore a bit expensive, but they have a free trial version, so you can test if it works for you.

Kind regards,

Narcis

LilianNekipelov
LilianNekipelov  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:22
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, everyone. Jun 27, 2013

The program looks really great, I will use it. The file is still kind of hopeless, but thank you very much.

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 23:22
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
One step at a time Jun 27, 2013

Yes, Lilian, use Audacity to remove the background noise, and normalize the audio.
Then use Express Scribe to listen to it, either in normal or slow speed.

However there ARE hopeless audio files and, unfortunately I have had to turn down many requests to work on them. This was what led me to write this article.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I need a program that would help me to get a better sound quality of an audio file

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »