Thread poster: 7207950892 (X)
7207950892 (X)
7207950892 (X)
France
Local time: 20:09
English to French
Apr 13, 2015

Hi everyone,

Could I ask a Trados user to take 5 minutes off his time and upload a test SDLXLIFF file and a test SDLPPX file on the forum?
I'm running some tests on CafeTran and would like to know how to use studio files, but don't have trados.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:09
Finnish to French
Install trial version Apr 13, 2015

7207950892 wrote:
I'm running some tests on CafeTran and would like to know how to use studio files, but don't have trados.

Just install the trial version of Studio 2014. It will be fully functional for 30 days and will run as the Professional edition, which means you'll be able to make your own packages (SDLPPX), something you can't do with the Freelance edition (AFAIK).

7207950892 (X)
7207950892 (X)
France
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
No Windows Apr 13, 2015

Actually I have a mac, which is one of the reasons i didn't purchase Trados in the first place...

Walter Blaser
Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
Having a Mac is not an obstacle to using SDL Trados SW ... Apr 13, 2015

7207950892 wrote:

Actually I have a mac, which is one of the reasons i didn't purchase Trados in the first place...

You can run Windows on a Mac without problem, either using Bootcamp or - more comfortable - in parallel to MacOs using either Parallels Desktop or VMWare Fusion.

I am a trainer and use a MacBook for my SDL Trados trainings (with Parallels, which even allows me to have several VMs and to use snapshots).

Walter

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 01:09
English to Indonesian
+ ...
It's dirt easy Apr 14, 2015

The never sent me SDLPPX files, but they are basically compressed (zipped) files containing the all-important SDLXLIFF file, and any memories.

Editing an SDLXLIFF file in CafeTran is easy. I did hundreds of them.
- Run CafeTran
- Drop the SDLXLIFF file on the Dashboard
- The correct language codes are automatically selected
- Click "Next" to start working ("locked" segments remain locked)

- Open any SDLTM files

I'll try to send you the files I used in a message, number 7207950892.

Cheers,

Hans (number 1)

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 01:09
English to Indonesian
+ ...
sdltb Apr 14, 2015

Studio's termbase is a bit more complicated. It's an MS Access file, and fortunately, Access not available for OS X.

- Download Axxess (free) from the App Store
- Open the SDLTB file in Axxess

- Select the source language
- File | Export to Excel
- Open the spreadsheet (in Excel, Numbers, etc.)
- Delete all nonsensical columns
- Repeat for target language
- Copy target language column into the spreadsheet for the source language
- Save as tab delimited text file
- Import in a new CafeTran TMX memory for terms (or use as tab delimited glossary if you are that way inclined)
- Back to work

It's not as difficult and labour-intensive as it looks, believe me.

Cheers,

Hans

7207950892 (X)
7207950892 (X)
France
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
All good! Apr 14, 2015

Thanks a lot Hans for the explanation! I knew about the procedure, but I wanted to test it for myself before I actually receive one and it's urgent and I can't figure it out (always happens this way..!)
I got your message with the files, and it works perfectly fine
And I know Trados can work in Parallels Walter, but it was a bit complicated just to get a test file!

Anyway, thanks everyone,

Mor
... See more
Thanks a lot Hans for the explanation! I knew about the procedure, but I wanted to test it for myself before I actually receive one and it's urgent and I can't figure it out (always happens this way..!)
I got your message with the files, and it works perfectly fine
And I know Trados can work in Parallels Walter, but it was a bit complicated just to get a test file!

Anyway, thanks everyone,

Morgane.
Collapse

Helene Olsen Richards
Helene Olsen Richards  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:09
Member (2006)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Problems with converting SDLXLIFF files to XLT files.... Aug 16, 2021

I keep getting XLT files from a customer and they claim I can use Trados. I do but Trados does not let me save it back to the original file...it wants to save it as an xliff....can anyone help? Never had this issue before. I also cant seem to extract the term base from the SDLPPX they send me. Very strange,

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

sdlxliff and sdlppx test files to upload

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »