Vista and Office 2007 performance with Trados ?
Initiator des Themas: F Schultze (X)
F Schultze (X)
F Schultze (X)  Identity Verified
Vereinigte Staaten
Local time: 16:03
Dänisch > Englisch
+ ...
Nov 20, 2007

I thought my 1.2GHz, 512MB, 4-year old ThinkPad with XP was somewhat slow working on a 50,000 words document. So I bought a new one with a 2.2GHz Duo Processor, 2GB and Vista and Office 2007. It even has a 1GB Intel Turbo disk cache.

Alas, the new computer works slower that the old one!

Will someone please try to explain that to me.

Is it all the junk MS have loaded into Word 2007 that slows down everything? There is such an excess of "features" (pick an
... See more
I thought my 1.2GHz, 512MB, 4-year old ThinkPad with XP was somewhat slow working on a 50,000 words document. So I bought a new one with a 2.2GHz Duo Processor, 2GB and Vista and Office 2007. It even has a 1GB Intel Turbo disk cache.

Alas, the new computer works slower that the old one!

Will someone please try to explain that to me.

Is it all the junk MS have loaded into Word 2007 that slows down everything? There is such an excess of "features" (pick any four-letter word to describe it) that it is really a pain in the lower part of the back. Even if the new computer has four times the capacity of the old, it takes significantly longer just to load the application than on the old computer, which by the way "only" has Office 2000. If MS think that this is the way to keep customers from migrating to Open Office, they are very much mistaken IMHO.

Any of you thinking about upgrading to Office 2007? DON'T! It is a waste of money, and what is worse - it will waste your time.
Collapse

Haiyang Ai (X)
Haiyang Ai (X)  Identity Verified
Vereinigte Staaten
Local time: 15:03
Englisch > Chinesisch
+ ...
Disable Grammar Checker? Nov 20, 2007

Can you try to disable Word 2007 auto grammar check? It will eat up a lot resources and slow your computer, especially in large file, like 50, 000 words document.

Marie-Céline GEORG
Marie-Céline GEORG  Identity Verified
Frankreich
Local time: 22:03
Deutsch > Französisch
+ ...
Vista's the culprit Nov 20, 2007

From what I heard, Vista is the one that eats so much resources that it slows down the whole computer.

I've recently bought a new PC with Office 2007 but I've stuck to good old XP and it works like a charm.
Word 2007 may give you the impression that there are lots of new features, but it's only some kind of reorganisation so that instead of finding all the functions inside menus, almost everything is displayed in the ribbon... but in a very different order, plus you can't cus
... See more
From what I heard, Vista is the one that eats so much resources that it slows down the whole computer.

I've recently bought a new PC with Office 2007 but I've stuck to good old XP and it works like a charm.
Word 2007 may give you the impression that there are lots of new features, but it's only some kind of reorganisation so that instead of finding all the functions inside menus, almost everything is displayed in the ribbon... but in a very different order, plus you can't customize it. Quite a pain in the *** indeed. I'm slowly getting used to it after 2 months.

HTH
Marie-Céline
Collapse

Mulyadi Subali
Mulyadi Subali  Identity Verified
Indonesien
Local time: 03:03
Mitglied
Englisch > Bahasa Indonesia
+ ...
ditch the vista, or... Nov 21, 2007

... wait for the sp1. i read the review that it reduced, at least, start up time fairly significantly. i also have office 2k7, which is pretty sleek. but office 2k3 is still faster, i think.

F Schultze (X)
Vereinigte Staaten
Dänisch > Englisch
+ ...
THEMENSTARTER
Thank you for your suggestions Nov 23, 2007

I have decided to downgrade my new ThinkPad to XP. Fortunately, MSFT gives you that option for "free". Supposedly there will only be a small (?) charge for the media and handling. Now I am fighting IBM/Lenovo to send me the downgrade CDs. They say the line to their "Entitlement" office that should take my credit card information is busy, and that they will return to me. That was two days ago.

We'll see what happens with XP and Office 2007. I may have to downgrade to Office 2003... See more
I have decided to downgrade my new ThinkPad to XP. Fortunately, MSFT gives you that option for "free". Supposedly there will only be a small (?) charge for the media and handling. Now I am fighting IBM/Lenovo to send me the downgrade CDs. They say the line to their "Entitlement" office that should take my credit card information is busy, and that they will return to me. That was two days ago.

We'll see what happens with XP and Office 2007. I may have to downgrade to Office 2003

[Edited at 2007-11-23 07:56]

[Edited at 2007-11-23 08:00]
Collapse

F Schultze (X)
Vereinigte Staaten
Dänisch > Englisch
+ ...
THEMENSTARTER
Here is the reply from the Trados people Nov 23, 2007

>>>
Yes, this is a problem we are aware of and is currently in the hands of the development team who are liaising with Microsoft to resolve the issue. The problem arises from the fact that the VBA macro performance in Word 2007 is much slower than in previous Word releases and is therefore an unfortunate performance issue in Word 2007. The current workaround is to use the TTX workflow for both DOC and DOCX in Synergy and TagEditor.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Vista and Office 2007 performance with Trados ?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »