Thread poster: Drew MacFadyen
Drew MacFadyen
Drew MacFadyen  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:06
Spanish to English
+ ...
Oct 17, 2008

Please forgive the English post here - but i was hoping to get some feedback on a www.proz.com/tgb/143 and related http://www.proz.com/?sp=proz_store&mode=wordfinder

We are running a TGB sale for WordFinder with SpanishEnglish Collins Dictionary and the response so far has primarily been
... See more
Please forgive the English post here - but i was hoping to get some feedback on a www.proz.com/tgb/143 and related http://www.proz.com/?sp=proz_store&mode=wordfinder

We are running a TGB sale for WordFinder with SpanishEnglish Collins Dictionary and the response so far has primarily been from Europe and not Spanish speaking locales.

Can you tell me a bit of your thoughts? Is the price right? Are times tough? Is the product message and information clear? What would your recommendations be?

Thank you in advance for any feedback and information you may provide.

Drew MacFadyen
Director of Marketing & Advertising
ProZ.com
Collapse

Paula James
Paula James  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 19:06
French to English
+ ...
not clear to me what it is/price Oct 17, 2008

Quite honestly, I'm not really sure what Wordfinder is. I did see the advert, but wasn't sure what justified the price, other than the dictionary. Personally I already use a CAT tool, which manages my glossaries, so can't see the benefit in paying for this too (Spanish>English is my second language pair anyway).

Also, Spanish rates are low anyway, and living costs are going up, it's quite a lot of money for an "extra", in my opinion.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 19:06
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Just saves you Eur 15... Oct 17, 2008

In Wordfinder's webshop I see:
- Wordfinder 9 professional (search engine) = Eur 55
- English-Spanish Collins dictionary = Eur 110

For those of us who are members already, the group buy does not look like a big deal as it only saves you Eur 15 apparently... Yes, it gives you 3 months of membership for free, that's true.

And, may I also mention that the Oxford English-Spanish Dictionary on CD-ROM (with 300.000 entries) costs Eur 41? Less than half the Collin
... See more
In Wordfinder's webshop I see:
- Wordfinder 9 professional (search engine) = Eur 55
- English-Spanish Collins dictionary = Eur 110

For those of us who are members already, the group buy does not look like a big deal as it only saves you Eur 15 apparently... Yes, it gives you 3 months of membership for free, that's true.

And, may I also mention that the Oxford English-Spanish Dictionary on CD-ROM (with 300.000 entries) costs Eur 41? Less than half the Collins dictionary offered, and it can be searched bilingually as far as I can see.

(Edited to mention the bilingual search in the Oxford CD-ROM)
(Edited to correct the savings, from Eur 10 to Eur 15; Sorry!)

[Edited at 2008-10-17 19:25]
Collapse

P Forgas
P Forgas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 14:06
Portuguese to Spanish
+ ...
collins dictionary online Oct 18, 2008

you can consult collins dictionary online in both directions.

http://diccionario.reverso.net/ingles-espanol/

"Collins Spanish Dictionary 8th edition published in 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co Ltd 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005"

or download it for Eur
... See more
you can consult collins dictionary online in both directions.

http://diccionario.reverso.net/ingles-espanol/

"Collins Spanish Dictionary 8th edition published in 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co Ltd 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005"

or download it for Eur 34

http://www.softissimo.com/collins_download.asp?lang=es

I don't know what Wordfinder is, I don't think I need it.

P.
Collapse

Drew MacFadyen
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Further clarification and feedback Oct 24, 2008

Thank you all for posting your comments they are very helpful. I spoke with the client and brought your comments to their attention and have a bit more detail from them. I am posting these comments on their behalf. Thank you, Drew.

Greetings,

Thank you very much for the valuable feedback on WordFinder’s recent promotion on ProZ.com. Your comments indicate that we need to more clearly describe what WordFinder is and how it can be valuable to you and others. As suc
... See more
Thank you all for posting your comments they are very helpful. I spoke with the client and brought your comments to their attention and have a bit more detail from them. I am posting these comments on their behalf. Thank you, Drew.

Greetings,

Thank you very much for the valuable feedback on WordFinder’s recent promotion on ProZ.com. Your comments indicate that we need to more clearly describe what WordFinder is and how it can be valuable to you and others. As such, I am happy to address your questions here:

What WordFinder does

WordFinder saves you a lot of time when you write and translate. Plus, WordFinder increases the effectiveness of your work by ensuring you use the right word and helping with keeping your language consistent for your clients’ projects.

How WordFinder works - not just another dictionary

WordFinder 9 Professional is a very easy-to-use software application that combines the most extensive, state-of-the art search engine (on your desk top) with terminology content from more than 20 recognized, world class publishers with whom we closely collaborate. You have the flexibility to select from over 100 different dictionaries in 12 languages. WordFinder is already used by more than 250,000 professionals.

WordFinder works like this: When you translate or write in a language other than your own, you may often need to search for and select the correct or most appropriate word or phrase for your client’s text. You could look in a dictionary book, a CD-ROM or the web…but there is a better way….a much faster way: WordFinder.

With WordFinder, you simply write the word, phrase or concept you are looking for in your own language. Highlight the word and hit your “Hot Key” (Ctrl-Shift on most keyboards).

WordFinder instantly pops up with the appropriate word or phrase choice that corresponds to your search. You then click on the word you want in the target language and WordFinder automatically places the translation in your text!

Say good-by to working slowly

There is no typing, no cumbersome books to page through, no copying, dragging and pasting and there is no need to be online! Traditional dictionaries, CD-ROMs and online resources just cannot provide you the speed and ease that WordFinder can.

In sum, before you even know the word, WordFinder has translated it for you. WordFinder enables you to translate and write fluidly, without interrupting your thought process.

See for yourself for FREE try WordFinder yourself for 30 days FREE:

http://www.wordfinder.com/webshop/com.asp?hid=1000360

That’s not all…there is more!

Included with WordFinder, you also get the bonus application, WordFinder Easy Reader, a reading and translation tool that is ideal when searching the Internet – instantly translate any word you point at in your web browser (Microsoft Internet Explorer).

Flexibility and Power

You can add multiple professional content titles from multiple publishers and specialties like Collins Spanish Dictionary, Peter Collins Business Spanish Dictionary and the soon to be released, Stedman’s Medical Dictionary and the Lippincott Williams & Wilkins Spanish-English, English-Spanish Medical Dictionary.

You can also create, upload and use your own glossaries with WordFinder. You can group your content and dictionaries together if you choose, so you can seamlessly search in several dictionaries at once.

If you have a dictionary you use and like, let us know. With our 18 years experience licensing professionally published content, it is likely we can collaborate with your publisher of choice so you can more easily use the content you already like in the WordFinder search engine.

Pricing

You buy the WordFinder 9 Professional search engine for 55 EUR. Then you add the dictionary/ content combinations you want. We typically price our dictionaries/content at 110 EUR per language direction.

Thus, in the case of the recent ProZ.com TGB, we offered WordFinder with both Collins Spanish Dictionary language directions English to Spanish and Spanish to English, which would normally be offered at a combined price of 275 EUR.

So, with the TGB specially priced at just 150 EUR plus 3 months of ProZ.com Membership, the members who purchased received a super deal - a savings of 145 EUR on WordFinder and 40 EUR on ProZ.com membership.

Thank you for reading this long post. I hope it provided some valuable information for you and your colleagues. If you would like to learn more, please contact me at [email protected].

Best regards,

Mike Kidd
WordFinder America AB
Collapse

Deborah do Carmo
Deborah do Carmo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 18:06
Dutch to English
+ ...
Question Oct 24, 2008

Off Topic: but isn't/wasn't Mike Kidd the Executive Vice President of ProZ?

Drew MacFadyen
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
clarification Oct 24, 2008

Yes he was, but has not been for almost a year now. In Mikes new capacity he is working with WordFinder. WordFinder has been an advertising client with ProZ.com in some capacity for many years and Mike's previous relationship with ProZ.com affords him no special treatment.

Drew

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Monika Jakacka Márquez[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Feedback for client

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »