Interpreting industry growing in the UK due to legislation

This discussion belongs to Translation news » "Interpreting industry growing in the UK due to legislation".
You can see the translation news page and participate in this discussion from there.

mustafaer
mustafaer  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 03:02
Member (2005)
Feb 11, 2010

I have been interpreting over the phone for clients in the UK. Social services basically, involving legal cases. English-Turkish. They offered GBP 25/hour. I demanded GBP 50 which was accepted. I charge Euro 400.00 a day for seminars consecutive interpretation in Europe.

Mark Thompson
Mark Thompson  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 21:02
Portuguese to English
Feb 11, 2010

I'm on my way back! He he.

Natalia Elo
Natalia Elo  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 02:02
English to Russian
+ ...
Feb 11, 2010

Hi!

Thank you for posting this. I've read this article yesterday and was rather shocked that they said in the article openly this:

"The idea is to create a pool of linguists the force can call on in a bid to cut the cost of hiring freelance interpreters."

A pool of linguists? What kind of linguists, if I may ask.

Best,
Natalia

Lenah Susianty
Lenah Susianty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:02
Member (2004)
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Feb 13, 2010

Blimey! in my experience, not many agency accepted my rate of £30 per hour! Usually they pay me around £20 per hour! and if you work for the NHS, they only give you £16 per hour! How can I get the information on interpreting rate in the UK?

K S (X)
K S (X)
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:02
Feb 13, 2010

Hi all,

I am a qualified court interpreter holding the DPSI and listed on the NRPSI in the UK. The statutory rate for RSPI interpreters is 85.00 GBP for each 3 hours of interpreting work.
... See more
Hi all,

I am a qualified court interpreter holding the DPSI and listed on the NRPSI in the UK. The statutory rate for RSPI interpreters is 85.00 GBP for each 3 hours of interpreting work. For more information, please go to: http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/docs/infoabout/interpreters/Interpreters-Standardised-FTFI-Terms-Conditions-(CJS).pdf

I am curious to know which interpreters "are able to charge" that much. Our rates are fixed and regulated by the HM Courts Service; and payment is made upon submission of a standardised claim form. Obviously the author of this article did very little research into the topic.

Regards,

Kasia
Collapse

John Farebrother
John Farebrother  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Feb 17, 2010

The industry may be growing, but the opportunities for professional interpreters to earn a decent living are in drastic decline. Agencies are taking over all areas of the public sector, which once sourced interpreters directly. Interpreters have to either accept lower rates or look for another way to earn their daily bread. Nice timing, in the middle of the biggest economic slowdown since the war. Good news for parasites though.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Interpreting industry growing in the UK due to legislation

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »