Episode 019 – Pricing strategies for freelance translators – Interview with Gwenydd Jones

This discussion belongs to Translation news » "Episode 019 – Pricing strategies for freelance translators – Interview with Gwenydd Jones".
You can see the translation news page and participate in this discussion from there.

Thomas Kis-Major
Thomas Kis-Major  Identity Verified
Australien
Local time: 02:24
Englisch > Ungarisch
+ ...
John Glenn's input Aug 1, 2014

'As I hurtled through space, one thought kept crossing my mind

- every part of this rocket was supplied by the lowest bidder.'

John Glenn

Andy Watkinson
Andy Watkinson  Identity Verified
Spanien
Local time: 18:24
Mitglied
Katalanisch > Englisch
+ ...
Mea culpa Aug 2, 2014

I actually listened to this.

No, really. All of it.

I learnt that well paid but complex texts may not be worth it. Better a far easier text at a lower rate.

I learnt that there's software that tracks your time.

I learnt that "researching terminology" is a waste of time. (But remember, you have an application to track this).

I learnt that you have to charge a "sustainable" rate, enabling you to cover your expenses.

... See more
I actually listened to this.

No, really. All of it.

I learnt that well paid but complex texts may not be worth it. Better a far easier text at a lower rate.

I learnt that there's software that tracks your time.

I learnt that "researching terminology" is a waste of time. (But remember, you have an application to track this).

I learnt that you have to charge a "sustainable" rate, enabling you to cover your expenses.

Me mum always told me I was daft. (In a "sustainable" way, of course).
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderatoren dieses Forums
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Episode 019 – Pricing strategies for freelance translators – Interview with Gwenydd Jones

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »