Thread poster: Bilingualduo
Bilingualduo
Bilingualduo  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 06:21
English to Italian
+ ...
Mar 16, 2004

I have a problem which I wonder of anyone can help me with.
I had created a folder in which I worked on 5 files which I then zipped and emailed to someone. The person told me that in the folder there were in fact only 3,not 5 files and could I send the folder again. Which I did. The same thing happened. On checking the folder I saw 5 Word doc icons but when trying to open them only 3 of the 5 opened as regular word documents. The other two asked what I wanted to open them with. The propert
... See more
I have a problem which I wonder of anyone can help me with.
I had created a folder in which I worked on 5 files which I then zipped and emailed to someone. The person told me that in the folder there were in fact only 3,not 5 files and could I send the folder again. Which I did. The same thing happened. On checking the folder I saw 5 Word doc icons but when trying to open them only 3 of the 5 opened as regular word documents. The other two asked what I wanted to open them with. The properties of the 2 "ghost" files said they were the size they should have been (approx 39kb) and that they were Word docs.
I decided to get rid of the folder.
The problem is I can't. All attempts to delete the folder result in a message saying that it cannot find file xxx-1.DOC. The xxx name is no existent, I never created such a file. I have looked at all hidden file, have run a search for the full file name. The file is not to be found and it seems I can' delete the folder without 'locating it'. The "ghost files" continue to be just that...
I have shut down Word and re-started. Shut down PC and re-started (a day later).
De-fragged. Erased Normal.dot. The folder will not be deleted.

Any ideas what happened?
More importantly, any suggestions of how I delete the folder?
Running Windows XP and Office XP, grateful for any suggestions,

Bambi

[Edited at 2004-03-16 00:24]
Collapse

00000000 (X)
00000000 (X)
English to French
+ ...
Can you rename it? Mar 16, 2004

Bilingualduo wrote:
I decided to get rid of the folder.
The problem is I can't. All attempts to delete the folder result in a message saying that it cannot find file xxx-1.DOC. The xxx name is no existent, I never created such a file.

Try to right-click on it and choose rename instead of delete. If you can rename it, then you'll probably be able to delete it.

Best of luck!
Esther

Bilingualduo
Bilingualduo  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 06:21
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That did it...Thank you Mar 16, 2004

:
Try to right-click on it and choose rename instead of delete. If you can rename it, then you'll probably be able to delete it.

Dear Esther,

Though the files woudn't 'allow' themselves to be renamed, the folder did and it has now gone to "folder heaven".

Brill! Thanks a bunch.

Bambi

[Edited at 2004-03-16 08:27]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Folder won't be deleted

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »