Thunderbird e-mail client + non-secure Wi-fi connection — problems getting mails
Thread poster: Tony M
Tony M
Tony M
France
Local time: 09:41
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Nov 17, 2014

I am using Thunderbird 12.0.1 under Windows 7 on my laptop.

I am currently connected to an 'open' public Wi-fi hotspot (i.e. non-secure), and for the first time, I have tried consult my e-mails via my normal e-mail client, i.e. Thunderbird.

But when I try to pick up my messages, it seems to try to connect, but doesn't pick up anything; this happens across both my ISPs (one of them returning a 'timed out' error message)

I can only imagine that there is a set
... See more
I am using Thunderbird 12.0.1 under Windows 7 on my laptop.

I am currently connected to an 'open' public Wi-fi hotspot (i.e. non-secure), and for the first time, I have tried consult my e-mails via my normal e-mail client, i.e. Thunderbird.

But when I try to pick up my messages, it seems to try to connect, but doesn't pick up anything; this happens across both my ISPs (one of them returning a 'timed out' error message)

I can only imagine that there is a setting somewhere that is preventing me from accessing my mailbox because the connection is not secure — but can anyone pelase tell me WHERE that setting might be? I can't find anything even faintly promising in Thunderbird itself...

I was wondering if it might be a setting soemwhere in the free Avira anti-virus software I am using?

Any help much appreciated! I'm stuck in this Wi-fi hole for a few hours, and am desperate to check my mails
Collapse

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:41
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Can't send messages with it in this situation Nov 17, 2014

Sorry, I can't help with this actual problem, but I also have Thunderbird (31.2.0) on my laptop, and when away from home using either local wifi or a 3G dongle to connect to the Internet, I have no problem receiving messages in Thunderbird, but I can't send messages from it. I get round this by sending messages from my mail.com email, which I have cloned so that I can make it appear to be coming from my usual email address as used in Thunderbird.

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:41
Finnish to French
SSL Nov 17, 2014

I had a similar problem while traveling in the US recently. I was able to solve it by using SSL (port 995 instead of 110):

Shai Navé
Shai Navé  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 10:41
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Probably ports Nov 17, 2014

As Dominique said, it is most likely a port setting issue.
It is not uncommon for "free" Wi-Fi spots to block ports that are associated with heavy bandwidth use (to essentially limit the use for web-browsing). If you can log into your email account through the web-interface, it is a good indication that they are blocking common email ports. In this case you need to check with the respective providers which other ports they offer, and try to connect through those.

And if your e
... See more
As Dominique said, it is most likely a port setting issue.
It is not uncommon for "free" Wi-Fi spots to block ports that are associated with heavy bandwidth use (to essentially limit the use for web-browsing). If you can log into your email account through the web-interface, it is a good indication that they are blocking common email ports. In this case you need to check with the respective providers which other ports they offer, and try to connect through those.

And if your email provider offers to connect to the servers via an encrypted protocol (i.e. TLS/SSL) and you are not already using it, it is a good idea to switch to the more secure connection (even when you are connected to a private network).
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Thunderbird e-mail client + non-secure Wi-fi connection — problems getting mails

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »