Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >
Leaving Yahoo - which is the safest email service?
Thread poster: Ines Burrell
Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:49
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
You can "Opt in to the data-processing amendments and model contract clauses" in Google Apps forWork Dec 14, 2015

Dan Lucas wrote:

Michael Beijer wrote:
I totally disagree: Gmail scanning your emails so it can serve targeted ads in no way constitutes a breach of client confidentiality.

Hmm. Did your clients sign Google's service agreement? Then by what right does Google scan their email? You don't have the legal right to agree on behalf of your clients. US courts have disagreed with Google's claim that it has their implied consent, noting that implied consent would make a mockery of the applicable law.

However, bots scanning email today is not my main concern, although I dislike it.

My concern is that tomorrow Google may decide that they can do something far more intrusive with my data, retroactively apply it to my email inbox and then claim that it is within the terms of the agreements to which I have already agreed.

We should not simply be assuming that these large listed corporates, especially in the US, are trustworthy. They are full of people who are highly incentivised to come up with new money-making ideas, whatever the ethics. Facebook is the obvious poster boy for not respecting privacy, but Google has come a long way from its "Don't be evil" beginnings.

You don't have to be a wild-eyed conspiracy theorist to think they take things too far. Remember, this is a company that admitted to sucking up huge amounts of completely unrelated data with its Street View cars. How on earth could it justify that? It was done simply because Google could do it. It was also clearly unethical.

It comes down to trust. I don't trust Google, though I might trust it more if it didn't have plans to rule the world of data.

As for the Gmail interface, for me it's too cluttered and busy. I was never a fan. Nor do I miss the much-vaunted search - Fastmail's appears to be just as useful.

Regards
Dan

I love the Gmail interface, and make extensive use of its great Labels feature, filters, search, etc. All others I have tried so far were pretty dire. Also, support is amazing: you immediately get a real person (who knows what they are doing, and speaks English), who will help you solve any problems you might be having with enthusiasm. Also, there are obviously no ads in my Google Apps for Work Gmail interface.

Have you seen this?

Go to: https://support.google.com/a/answer/2888485?hl=en

"Model contract clauses for Google Apps

In addition to participating in the U.S.-EU Safe Harbor Framework, Google offers a data-processing amendment (https://www.google.com/work/apps/terms/dpa_terms.html ) and model contract clauses (https://admin.google.com/terms/apps/1/2/en/mcc_terms.html ) as an additional means of meeting the adequacy and security requirements of the European Parliament and Council of the European Union” Data Protection Directive.

Opt in to the data-processing amendments and model contract clauses
1. Sign in to the Google Admin console.
2. Click Company Profile.
3. Select Profile.
4. In Security and Privacy Additional Terms next to Data Security Amendment, click Click to Review and Accept.
5. Click I Accept.
6. Next to EU Model Contract Clauses, click Click to Review and Accept.
7. Click I Accept."

Problem solved.

[Edited at 2015-12-14 08:49 GMT]

PS: Not bad for a mere £2.75 per month (for Google Apps for Work)

[Edited at 2015-12-14 08:53 GMT]

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 06:49
Spanish to English
+ ...
Been there Dec 14, 2015

Burrell wrote:
when I ask technical support for advice for morons, I always get advice for reasonably clever people, which I will eventually become, but first I need that advice for morons.

LOL, that comment sums up my situation exactly!

I've also been having problems with Yahoo mail recently - it won't let me send e-mails with attachments, but apparently only some of them. I've been getting around it by sending them from the draft folder, or using Gmail, although I share some of the concerns mentioned by our colleagues. I'm reluctant to give up Yahoo because I've been using it for many years and am accustomed to the interface, but it really is pretty shoddy.

PS: I also found the proz.com e-mail system bafflingly complicated, so quickly gave up trying to work it out. I have always avoided using things like Outlook, so , for example, I don't know what my POP 3 is or any of that other stuff.

[Edited at 2015-12-14 09:06 GMT]

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
I wouldn't count that as problem solved Dec 14, 2015

Michael Beijer wrote:
Problem solved.

Well, in my original post I (and I think others) was referring to standard Gmail; I missed your reference to Apps for Work.

However, this solves the problem only if (a) you trust Google not to decide in future to attempt to quietly evade these conditions in some way and (b) you further believe that it is impossible to get round these conditions somehow.

I don't trust Google and I do believe it could find workarounds. The culture of the company is important and I don't believe that has changed. I expect it to try to exploit business users' data at some point in a way that is against the spirit, but maybe not the letter, of the law. If it gets caught it will raise its hands, say sorry, pay a fine and it will be business as usual.

However, I accept that with privacy it comes down to how far one wants to go. We all have different red-line issues. I come from a background where confidentiality and security are huge issues and where problems can result in serious regulatory backlash.

Perhaps not surprisingly I regard email not sent over a closed corporate network with suspicion. I don't trust large corporates to respect my privacy and given the history of the past decade I think that is a rational approach.

It still surprises me that agencies require me to sign all these NDAs but then agency staff send me sensitive information, unencrypted, over the internet. Only a handful of my clients routinely encrypt attachments and only my Japanese clients use file delivery services that require a known identity to login and download the file.
PS: Not bad for a mere £2.75 per month (for Google Apps for Work)

That's about $50 a year, so slightly more than a Fastmail Enhanced account, but it's hardly going to break the bank either way.

Regards
Dan

Ines Burrell
Ines Burrell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Free email service Dec 14, 2015

I know some people frown upon freelancers who use free email service, but I have used mine for 16 years now, and so far have been taken very seriously. I suppose if I had an email address like bunnyrabbit123 at something dot com and if I was a new freelancer, then it would be a different story, but I honestly have better things to worry about than being or not being taken seriously after 23 years in business.

I have similar reservations about Google and the majority of large US own
... See more
I know some people frown upon freelancers who use free email service, but I have used mine for 16 years now, and so far have been taken very seriously. I suppose if I had an email address like bunnyrabbit123 at something dot com and if I was a new freelancer, then it would be a different story, but I honestly have better things to worry about than being or not being taken seriously after 23 years in business.

I have similar reservations about Google and the majority of large US owned services though. They are not regulated by any local rules and regulations and can get away with almost anything. One of the reasons why I use Paypal as little as possible and completely ignore all social media. My private little rebellion. Although in reality real privacy is just an illusion when it comes to Internet - anything can be accessed if need be.
Collapse

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Taken for serious or being misused seriously Dec 14, 2015

Burrell wrote:

I suppose if I had an email address like bunnyrabbit123 at something dot com and if I was a new freelancer, then it would be a different story, but I honestly have better things to worry about than being or not being taken seriously after 23 years in business.

My concerns were not about being taken seriously or not, when using gmail, but about the possibility that somebody easily might misuse your name to outsource or apply for jobs.

Inga Petkelyte
Inga Petkelyte  Identity Verified
Portugal
Lithuanian to Portuguese
+ ...
Happy with people who can see the essence Dec 14, 2015

Yasutomo Kanazawa wrote:

Freelance translators/interpretors who use freemail account as their primary account looks very unprofessional to me. ...

I am happy with people who look at the core and not at the package. I am also happy to have enough clients that look at my work and not at my email provider.
I had my private, so to speak, email address for some time and then came back to hotmail, for the same reasons Ines is mentioning - the need for stability. Beeing not an IT-geek myself, I wonder about the security when a third party comes to take care of my PC.
15 years with hotmail, excellent feedback from clients. Wish you the same.

Ines Burrell
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Unfortunate possibility Dec 14, 2015

Matthias Brombach wrote:

My concerns were not about being taken seriously or not, when using gmail, but about the possibility that somebody easily might misuse your name to outsource or apply for jobs.

That applies to anybody. As far as I know, nobody else can use my email address, they might choose a different extension though. But then, that would be possible with any email address, not necessarily only the free one. Or am I missing something?

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Free email accounts Dec 14, 2015

When a prospective customer approaches me, looking at his email address is one part of my risk management procedure. Hotmail, Gmail or Yahoo addresses and the like will somewhat lower their credit score. This doesn't mean I'll never do business with them, though.

I suspect that most of my (prospective) clients apply a similar strategy. So while it's certainly possible to run a successful business using a free email account (as some peers have pointed out), I think that the pr
... See more
When a prospective customer approaches me, looking at his email address is one part of my risk management procedure. Hotmail, Gmail or Yahoo addresses and the like will somewhat lower their credit score. This doesn't mean I'll never do business with them, though.

I suspect that most of my (prospective) clients apply a similar strategy. So while it's certainly possible to run a successful business using a free email account (as some peers have pointed out), I think that the pros of a business email account with your own domain name generally outweigh the possible cons (not that I'm experiencing any).
Collapse

Matthias Brombach
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Not traceable Dec 14, 2015

Burrell wrote:
Or am I missing something?

As already mentioned, you´ll not be able to track the IP address of those senders who use gmail addresses, which can be part of your risk management.

[Edited at 2015-12-14 11:58 GMT]

Ines Burrell
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Would not think of it in any case Dec 14, 2015

Matthias Brombach wrote:

Burrell wrote:
Or am I missing something?

As already mentioned, you´ll not be able to track the IP address of those senders who use gmail addresses, which can be part of your risk management.

[Edited at 2015-12-14 11:58 GMT]

It would not cross my mind to do it anyhow. Although, I would not accept work from companies with free email addresses - talk about double standards, right! But I would not bat an eyelid at freelancers who do. Interesting, I never actually though about this before.

Inga Petkelyte
Portugal
Lithuanian to Portuguese
+ ...
What is the exact risk here? Dec 14, 2015

Again, beeing a not IT-geek, I miss to understand what exactly is the risk of using a free mail account - anyone to shed some light on this?
Is it that my email coming from a free mail account brings a kind of a malware into my client's server?
What is the main concern about this so-much-spoken risk?

Matthias Brombach
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Simply scam: Dec 14, 2015

What is the main concern about this so-much-spoken risk?

Just have a look on the numerous posts here on proz concerning scams and pray that nobody already uses your somehow changed name for scamming jobs.
Especially you, dear Inga, may one day be affected from this, because you publish your CV in Word here at proz.
For any further info have a look on this useful website from one of your Portuguese colleagues:
http://www.translator-scammers.com/
Moreover:
http://wiki.proz.com/wiki/index.php/Translator_scam_alert_reports
Almost all scammed profiles have been converted into freemail adresses...

[Edited at 2015-12-14 13:35 GMT]

Inga Petkelyte
Portugal
Lithuanian to Portuguese
+ ...
So is it a free mail or a CV in Word? And whose risk, then? Dec 14, 2015

I still don't get it - what kind of risk a vendor with a free mail can cause?
From what you mentioned, Matthias, I understand a customer with freemail account can be a threat, not vice versus.

Matthias Brombach
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Risky in many aspects Dec 14, 2015

Inga Petkelyte wrote:

From what you mentioned, Matthias, I understand a customer with freemail account can be a threat, not vice versus.

Imagine one of the numerous scammers acts with your name and with the same freemail domaine you use, it would then be more difficult to distinguish who is the right or wrong Inga, especially for outsourcers. I just wanted to point on the fact that there is a lot of abuse going on with freemail adresses and it could relieve your business in many ways not using them.

I would even go so far and say, to dry the swamp of scammers no professional translator should use freemail domaines for business purposes.

[Edited at 2015-12-14 13:39 GMT]

Inga Petkelyte
Portugal
Lithuanian to Portuguese
+ ...
Besides of the scam [possibility] ? Dec 14, 2015

Matthias Brombach wrote:

Inga Petkelyte wrote:

Imagine one of the numerous scammers acts with your name and with the same freemail domaine you use, it would then be more difficult to distinguish who is the right or wrong Inga, especially for outsourcers. I just wanted to point on the fact that there is a lot of abuse going on with freemail adresses and it could relieve your business in many ways not using them.

I appreciate the attempt to help, I do.
However, here and in various other threads, all the 'risk' associated to free mail accounts is so generic, the whole risk is specified as just "risky". Nothing in particular. Just like spooking with an evil wolf in woods.
The only specific risk - which you mention and, to my calculations, highly unlikely - is that someone can "borrow" a freemail account.
Yet, even in such a case, the only risk for the freelancer is a possible loss of an order.
A risk for a client is practically none: if a scammer delivers the translation, it's good both for the scammer and the client; if the scammer doesn't deliver the translation, no payment, no loss in that case.
And what about mirroring software, clonnig email accounts? So-called private emails don't escape that either.
Thus, all these talks about the risk of freemail accounts seem to me kind of mental spooking rather than actual threats. Unless I am largely missing something here, but honestly couldn't find answers. Everyone mentions, no one outlines.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Leaving Yahoo - which is the safest email service?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »