Număr de pagini:   < [1 2]
Thoughts On Working With AI to fill the job drought gap?
Inițiatorul discuției: STEPHEN YOUNG
David GAY
David GAY
Local time: 19:38
din engleză în franceză
+ ...
Hmm... May 21

Ari Dupree wrote:

Charlie Bavington wrote:

I did an experiment a while back asking AI, in French, to draft a press release in English about a new CEO. I had a few bullet points of basic facts, & asked ChatGPT to make it "typical" in style. In the output, it even invented a quote from my fictional CEO, without being asked, saying how he was looking forward to the challenge, etc. Incredible stuff, really.

It is incredible, of course. But will it still be able to do that ten years from now, when 'typical' style has shifted with cultural changes? Because if it doesn't, then it's just a fancy toy. The AI's ability to stay relevant over time is going to depend on the creators being dedicated to updating the massive data sets, and/or hiring actual translators to generate those data sets. That is going to be an ongoing problem for them, sooner than anyone thinks. (Particularly sooner than CEOs who tend to never look more than five years down the road.)

The biggest limitation of AI is that it requires massive data sets that have to be updated on an ongoing basis (from high-quality, credible sources) if the tool is going to stay relevant over the course of years. A big challenge facing AI (or so I hear) is that the required data sets are so large that it's unwieldy to update them. Culture changes quickly, and they are going to struggle to keep up. (Imagine trying to market anything tech-related using the same language and strategies that were employed even last year, much less five years ago...)

I'm not an AI expert, but I was told by someone who is that no one is actually innovating around this problem right now, because it would require inventing generalized AI. Right now, they're just making the same style of learning algorithms look more impressive by throwing increasingly larger computing power and data sets at them. The larger the data sets get, the more impressive the AI looks in the short term, but the harder it gets to keep them relevant in the long term.

AI is here to stay and it's definitely shaking up the industry, and has been doing so since I started working over ten years ago (back then, it was Google Translate that was going to put us all out of jobs, but I've noticed we're still here...) I just don't believe it's going to spell the end of translation as a profession, any more than the invention of the computer spelled the end of accounting as a profession

[Edited at 2024-05-17 17:50 GMT]

Cultural changes..hmm.. please elaborate. Which cultural changes are under way in the US. Do you mean wokeism? Slang is changing fast but formal English is quite stable, isn't it? So cultural change is fully irrelevant for technical translation.

Bernhard Sulzer
Bernhard Sulzer  Identity Verified
Statele Unite
Local time: 13:38
din engleză în germană
+ ...
AI - ethical it is not May 22

Let me just say, if you work for or with AI, your drought is going to turn into a desert. Not for you in the short run, but for many others who lose their job because of you. And don't ask me about doing this in the first place. There's no ethical reason. Do something else as long as it's still available. My 2 Cents

STEPHEN YOUNG wrote:

I work with Japanese -> English in many different services, including translation, review, subtitles, LQA, native checks, light nMTPE, heavy MTPE, transcription, etc.

However, it seems (for me anyway) that things dried up last month and look a little ok for May (I know GoldenWeek is happening and is a thing, haha).
Because of this, I've felt almost forced to start moving into working with AI in a technical and linguistic sense in order to fill the gaps, which I am 50/50 on since I love translation; it's what I've always done, but also have a personal love for tech so I don't mind working for AI to fill the gaps, but just wish it would all go back to normal.

As a side note to this, I have noticed my once normal, if not below normal, rates are being treated like super insanely high rates.

Have any of you guys been doing something on the side to wait out the drought, or are you not in a drought?

Also, have you're used-to-be standard rates now become classified as overly high rates?

Christopher Schröder
Christel Zipfel
writeaway
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Denis Fesik
Denis Fesik
Local time: 20:38
din engleză în rusă
+ ...
Tech, tech, tech May 23

I'm not sure if everyone here sees what I see in my forum feed, but my current feed is chock-full of threads about techy stuff (tools, bots & Co.) and no longer features any topics I'd find interesting to explore. I hope "working with AI" doesn't refer to the abominable practice of teaching AI how to translate better by correcting its outputs and feeding them back into the matrices. I'm confident this will not bring about any non-minor qualitative changes, it's just a wrong thing to do for a tr... See more
I'm not sure if everyone here sees what I see in my forum feed, but my current feed is chock-full of threads about techy stuff (tools, bots & Co.) and no longer features any topics I'd find interesting to explore. I hope "working with AI" doesn't refer to the abominable practice of teaching AI how to translate better by correcting its outputs and feeding them back into the matrices. I'm confident this will not bring about any non-minor qualitative changes, it's just a wrong thing to do for a translator (in my book)Collapse

Christel Zipfel
Bernhard Sulzer
Christopher Schröder
Zea_Mays
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
Regatul Unit
Membru (2011)
din suedeză în engleză
+ ...
+1 May 24

Denis Fesik wrote:
I'm not sure if everyone here sees what I see in my forum feed, but my current feed is chock-full of threads about techy stuff (tools, bots & Co.) and no longer features any topics I'd find interesting to explore.

Me too. There haven't even been any fights recently. Where's Tom?

Zea_Mays

Denis Fesik
Denis Fesik
Local time: 20:38
din engleză în rusă
+ ...
I think Tom is being Tom by not doing what's expected of him May 27

Christopher Schröder wrote:

Denis Fesik wrote:
I'm not sure if everyone here sees what I see in my forum feed, but my current feed is chock-full of threads about techy stuff (tools, bots & Co.) and no longer features any topics I'd find interesting to explore.

Me too. There haven't even been any fights recently. Where's Tom?

Other than that, I do wish him the very best of all things

Număr de pagini:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Thoughts On Working With AI to fill the job drought gap?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »