Dimitra Karamperi
Dimitra Karamperi  Identity Verified
Griechenland
Local time: 19:13
Englisch > Griechisch
+ ...
Mar 24, 2007

Hi all,

I am going to Strasburg for a 10-days period during May and have not booked anything yet. Any suggestions for the best things to do are welcome.
Also any ideas regarding hotels would be simply great. Should I book from Greece or is not difficult to book directly there?
How about internet cafes? Will it be difficult to find? I am planning not to work during this time but in our profession, you can never be sure...
See more
Hi all,

I am going to Strasburg for a 10-days period during May and have not booked anything yet. Any suggestions for the best things to do are welcome.
Also any ideas regarding hotels would be simply great. Should I book from Greece or is not difficult to book directly there?
How about internet cafes? Will it be difficult to find? I am planning not to work during this time but in our profession, you can never be sure

Thanks everyone for your help!!
Dimitra
Collapse

Clare Forder
Clare Forder
Local time: 17:13
Französisch > Englisch
+ ...
things to do Mar 24, 2007

Hi!

Hope you have a great time in Strasbourg - it's a lovely place! I lived there for a while a few years ago and if my memory serves me correctly, some good places to visit are: La Petite France (old town part of Strasbourg) - very beautiful; Route des Vins (wine tasting tour); the Orangerie (park/gardens); city tour by boat - quite interesting; climb the cathedral. If you're interested in the workings of the EU you can also arran
... See more
Hi!

Hope you have a great time in Strasbourg - it's a lovely place! I lived there for a while a few years ago and if my memory serves me correctly, some good places to visit are: La Petite France (old town part of Strasbourg) - very beautiful; Route des Vins (wine tasting tour); the Orangerie (park/gardens); city tour by boat - quite interesting; climb the cathedral. If you're interested in the workings of the EU you can also arrange to visit the parliament buildings, see http://www.europarl.europa.eu/parliament/public/staticDisplay.do?id=50&language=EN for more info. You could also take a trip to the Vosges as well.
As for hotels, I would imagine it wouldn't be too hard to find something when you got there, but you might get a better deal if you book in advance. Internet cafes should also be pretty easy to find. Enjoy your stay!
Collapse

Ritu Bhanot
Ritu Bhanot  Identity Verified
Frankreich
Französisch > Hindi
+ ...
Strasbourg Mar 24, 2007

Hi,

It's a very nice place. I've lived there for almost two years and I loved it.

Well, about 4-5 years ago, it was not easy to find Internet Cafes but now there are quite a few. I remember there was one just across the quai saint jean (just before Rue du Foubourg Nationale) across Rue du vieux marche aux vins behind the bus stop.

There are other internet cafes too but this was the only one that was centrally located and it was quite easy to find. You ca
... See more
Hi,

Well, about 4-5 years ago, it was not easy to find Internet Cafes but now there are quite a few. I remember there was one just across the quai saint jean (just before Rue du Foubourg Nationale) across Rue du vieux marche aux vins behind the bus stop.

There are other internet cafes too but this was the only one that was centrally located and it was quite easy to find. You can't miss it (if it is still there).

Things change and it's over a year since I was there so...

Well, while you are in Strasbourg try and visit other places like Mt. St. Odile and wine route. Of course, The Cathedral is a must. And see if you can attend some concert (usually in one of the churches). Bateau mouche... lovely in the evening. Tourism office has some nice offers at all times. It is located near the cathedral.

Of course, there are some nice markets (I remember there used to be one at place broglie/ homme de fer) where you can buy local stuff. And well, there was a place called Les Trois Brasseurs which used to be quite famous for its Tartes Flambes. They've changed the name but it's still there.

And don't miss the opera... if you have time, you must visit it.

Hope I've been able to help a bit.

Best regards,

Ritu

[Edited at 2007-03-24 18:15]
Collapse

Clare Forder
Clare Forder
Französisch > Englisch
+ ...
I agree! Mar 24, 2007

Ritu Bhanot wrote:

Hi,

There are other internet cafes too but this was the only one that was centrally located and it was quite easy to find. You can't miss it (if it is still there).

Things change and it's over a year since I was there so...

Well, while you are in Strasbourg try and visit other places like Mt. St. Odile and wine route. Of course, The Cathedral is a must. And see if you can attend some concert (usually in one of the churches). Bateau mouche... lovely in the evening. Tourism office has some nice offers at all times. It is located near the cathedral.

Of course, there are some nice markets (I remember there used to be one at place broglie/ homme de fer) where you can buy local stuff. And well, there was a place called Les Trois Brasseurs which used to be quite famous for its Tartes Flambes. They've changed the name but it's still there.

This place was excellent! The best tartes flambees ever

And don't miss the opera... if you have time, you must visit it.

Hope I've been able to help a bit.

Best regards,

Ritu

[Edited at 2007-03-24 18:15]

[Edited at 2007-03-24 18:35]

Paul Malone
Paul Malone  Identity Verified
Frankreich
Local time: 18:13
Mitglied (2004)
Französisch > Englisch
+ ...
Internet café web addresses Mar 24, 2007

Hi Dimitra,

Here are some web addresses for internet cafés in Strasbourg that I found on www.pagesjaunes.fr

http://www.hotel-cyber-21.com/
<
... See more
Hi Dimitra,

Here are some web addresses for internet cafés in Strasbourg that I found on www.pagesjaunes.fr

http://www.hotel-cyber-21.com/
http://perso.orange.fr/net.sur.cour/
http://www.ultima-strasbourg.com/

For hotel reservations in Strasbourg, you should be aware that it is notoriously difficult to find a hotel room in the city when the European Parliament is in town. If your visit dates happen to coincide with a parliamentary session, you could have problems, so it may be a good idea to make a reservation before coming.

Otherwise I would agree with Ritu's recommendations.

The city centre of Strasbourg is a U.N. world heritage site. It is not a large city centre, so you can see a lot by walking. The centre is built on an 'island', with the river Ill going round one side and a canal going round the other, and you can walk all the way round if you have time.

If you like French gastronomy, the city is packed with restaurants of all types and the food and service are almost always excellent.

The city is famous for its opera and concerts, and I would agree with Ritu that these would be well worth attending if you have the opportunity.

Try not to miss the surrounding countryside with its breathtaking scenery and spectacular geography. You can enjoy magnificent views from the Vosges mountain range in France across the plain of Alsace and the river Rhine to the Black Forest mountains in Germany.

Enjoy your trip,

Best regards,
Paul
Collapse

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
Vereinigtes Königreich
Flämisch > Englisch
+ ...
The European Youth Hostel Mar 25, 2007

Just before the bridge leading to Kehl(Germany), you will find arrows leading you to the Youth Hostel. It is subsidized by the EU and looks like a ** or *** hotel. It is of better quality than the avarage YH.

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
Französisch > Englisch
+ ...
In stillem Gedenken
Palais Rohan Mar 25, 2007

Dimitra Karamperi wrote:

Hi all,

How about internet cafes? Will it be difficult to find? I am planning not to work during this time but in our profession, you can never be sure

Thanks everyone for your help!!
Dimitra

A most interesting city with lots to see - as others have said, walking is the best way to take it all in.
The cathedral has a famous "performing" clock, and nearby is the exquisite palace of Cardinal Rohan (I think) - 18th century.
La Route des Vins is worth driving, too. I discovered that fascinating grape variety Gewurtztraminer when there.
Marvellous food, but almost everything is served with choucroute - sauerkraut.
Have a great time.
Jenny.

Dimitra Karamperi
Dimitra Karamperi  Identity Verified
Griechenland
Local time: 19:13
Englisch > Griechisch
+ ...
THEMENSTARTER
Thank you all for your input! Mar 26, 2007

I will certainly walk around the center.
Thank you Paul for the links, very helpful.
"Pages jaunes" was a great idea I didn't think of!

Have a great week everyone,
Dimitra

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderatoren dieses Forums
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Tips for Strasburg, France

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »