Poll: Do you take notes during your translation process?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Apr 13

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you take notes during your translation process?".

This poll was originally submitted by Lingua 5B. View the poll results »

Mohd Hamzah

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 18:15
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Sometimes Apr 13

Mostly about spelling mistakes, inconsistencies and errors in the original text, terminology that needs checking by the customer, problems with formatting, etc. I also record the solution to translation difficulties or interpretation of special phrases and terms and expressions I find particular interesting when I read newspapers or magazines….

Iulia Parvu

Iulia Parvu
Iulia Parvu  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2022)
English to Romanian
+ ...
Sometimes Apr 14

When working with very long texts, I keep a notebook at hand in which I write down the terminology used, to maintain consistency.

Gianni Pastore
Gianni Pastore  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 19:15
Member (2007)
English to Italian
Yes Apr 14

mainly things I cannot solve by searching the web, aka "gotta ask the client"

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Occasionally on paper Apr 14

Things I need to remember for other files and I might forget, I put on paper

Things to tell the client, I put in comments in the file

Things to check later, I mark in the file with ???

Angie Garbarino
Joe France

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
Sometimes Apr 14

I put on paper words I searched and for consistency
I highlight in green text or words to check again
Questions to client in a word separate sheet

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
The only notes I take... Apr 14

If the notes concern consistency in terminology, I don't need to take them because I activate a feature in the CAT tool I work with that allows me to check the accuracy of terms.
I use it all the time!
CAT tools have helped greatly in this regard.
The only notes I take are on an Excel sheet with terms that need to be validated or explained by the client when needed.
This can also be done in comments section in the CAT tool itself, but most part of the time clients prefer
... See more
If the notes concern consistency in terminology, I don't need to take them because I activate a feature in the CAT tool I work with that allows me to check the accuracy of terms.
I use it all the time!
CAT tools have helped greatly in this regard.
The only notes I take are on an Excel sheet with terms that need to be validated or explained by the client when needed.
This can also be done in comments section in the CAT tool itself, but most part of the time clients prefer an Excel sheet for this purpose.
Collapse

Denis Fesik
Denis Fesik
Local time: 20:15
English to Russian
+ ...
Only notes for the customer Apr 14

Mostly about what was wrong with the source text and how I decided to fix it. I don't have to write things down for consistency purposes because with any job, up to a couple hundred thousand words, I remember every single decision I've made and why. Or maybe it's just a case of exaggerated self-confidence, after all

Christopher Schröder

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
. Apr 15

Mostly with larger texts.

Problems with the source text: I put comments in my translation to flag them to the client.
Things I'm likely to forget, that I need to go back and check on later: I'll make a note on a scrap of paper and/or put ?? in the text, to be able to find the place quickly later.
Questions for the client: in a separate Word file, and I'll highlight the text to find it quickly in case they want to discuss it over the phone.
For consistency: I'll ac
... See more
Mostly with larger texts.

Problems with the source text: I put comments in my translation to flag them to the client.
Things I'm likely to forget, that I need to go back and check on later: I'll make a note on a scrap of paper and/or put ?? in the text, to be able to find the place quickly later.
Questions for the client: in a separate Word file, and I'll highlight the text to find it quickly in case they want to discuss it over the phone.
For consistency: I'll actually just do a search and replace all the way through. If there are several files, I usually put them all in one and the same file so I don't have to keep going back and forth. If there are files in different formats, I'll make a list of the terms that might crop up in both.
Collapse

Mohd Hamzah
Mohd Hamzah  Identity Verified
Malaysia
Local time: 01:15
English to Malay
+ ...
Necessary for serious or big project Apr 15

The most important thing when you deal with highly technical text is to maintain accuracy, terminologies and consistency. I believe it is important to carry it out.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you take notes during your translation process?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »