Initiator des Themas: Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkei
Local time: 15:34
Englisch > Türkisch
+ ...
Nov 16, 2002

One of my friends is planning to move into Canada in the next 2 or 3 years. She works in the pairs of Turkish, English and Chinese. She asked me if these pairs would make a living for her in Canada. I actually don\'t know. And the next question she asked was, \"which other language would worth, other than French, learning.\" So which language pair would be helpful in Canada, one being Turkish?

María Alejandra Funes
María Alejandra Funes
Local time: 09:34
Englisch > Spanisch
+ ...
Canada Nov 17, 2002

Hi,

What I could say, even if I am not living in Canada for so long, that Arabic, Chinese and Spanish are languages that you listen to every day on the street.

Good luck!

Alejandra

Nathalie M. Girard, ALHC (X)
Nathalie M. Girard, ALHC (X)  Identity Verified
Englisch > Französisch
+ ...
I do not think that it would be difficult Nov 18, 2002

Good morning,

I think that she could manage with the language pairs that she currently has. The most western province of Canada (British-Columbia) has a huge Asian community given that it is closest to China, Japan etc...

Not to mention the very large ethnic communities in all the major centers in each province (mainly Toronto, Montreal).

Plus, if she has access to the internet, she can certainly contract work from clients in other c
... See more
Good morning,

I think that she could manage with the language pairs that she currently has. The most western province of Canada (British-Columbia) has a huge Asian community given that it is closest to China, Japan etc...

Not to mention the very large ethnic communities in all the major centers in each province (mainly Toronto, Montreal).

Plus, if she has access to the internet, she can certainly contract work from clients in other countries, like we all do there through Proz and other portals on the web.

French is *mainly* only spoken in the province of Quebec and the Altantic region with some communities in Northern Ontario and in Alberta.

I do not know if she was talking about learning French in order to be able to translate *to* or *from* that language???

If this is the case, I can tell you that she would not be able to perform any work in that language. One cannot just learn a new language for a couple of years and start translating.

If she is inquiring about learning French in order to be able to *live* in Canada and get by with daily life. Unless she moves to Quebec City or the Northern region of the province of Quebec, she will not need to learn French - English is spoken widely everywhere else.

I hope this helps you a bit!

Kind regards,

Nathalie (French Canadian)
Collapse

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkei
Local time: 15:34
Englisch > Türkisch
+ ...
THEMENSTARTER
to Nathalie Nov 18, 2002

\"I do not know if she was talking about learning French in order to be able to translate *to* or *from* that language???\"

It is out of the question to learn French to make translations. As far as I know the market is \'naturally\' only for the native translators.

The question is if it is possible for another language pair, such as English and another one. As for Turkey, there is a good market for Russian>English translators, but in general translation between t
... See more
\"I do not know if she was talking about learning French in order to be able to translate *to* or *from* that language???\"

It is out of the question to learn French to make translations. As far as I know the market is \'naturally\' only for the native translators.

The question is if it is possible for another language pair, such as English and another one. As for Turkey, there is a good market for Russian>English translators, but in general translation between these languages is made through Turkish. (Ru>Tr and then Tr>En) So, what may the next language worth learning so as to make translation, not within the next 3-4 years, but say 5-10 years?

Regards,

Selcuk Akyuz
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

which language pair in Canada has a future

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »