Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Why I can not see visitor's country anymore?
Thread poster: TargamaT team
Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 11:42
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
The solution Feb 16, 2023

"The solution" worked for 1 day only. How about do the tests first before announcing publicly the issue has been solved? You know, you test it first for 5-7 days, then publish an announcement?

Veronica Rodriguez
Daniela Zambrini
TargamaT team
SandraV
Elena Feriani

Yaotl Altan
Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 03:42
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thank you. Feb 19, 2023

TargamaT team wrote:

I used to see visitor's country in Viewer ID field but I can not see it anymore, any reason for hiding this information?

I also noticed that but only until the last week. Thank you for pointing out this iusse, TargamaT.

Yasutomo Kanazawa
Yasutomo Kanazawa  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 18:42
Member (2005)
English to Japanese
+ ...
Because there are some real psychos out there Feb 22, 2023

Ice Scream wrote:

... what difference does it make?

Basically, I agree with what TargamaT team and Matthias Brombach wrote; I also do not work with outsourcers in certain countries including guising to be located in a country which I work with but actually located in one of the countries listed in my no-no list.

But other than the above, I have been, and I still believe I am (a bit paranoid, maybe) being stalked by a certain Proz member whom I have added her email address to my block list on Proz, my email provider and on my cell phone. This person was a troll in the KudoZ section in my language pair, where after unfriending her, she started harassing me on Kudoz, entering comments like "the asker is being deceived by this contributor's answer" and deleting them before being caught by a moderator or a Proz staff. I did not give her my cell phone number, but googled my name where I was registered on a different translator's portal where I had my address and phone number listed and called me twice from two different numbers after finding out that I blocked her cell phone number in the first round.

Anyway, this person likes to peek into other people's Proz profile pages including mine, giving me the impression that she really can't mind her own business and is too troubled what other members or users are doing on Proz. It's more than just creepy, it's bone-chilling.

Christopher Schröder
P.L.F. Persio
TargamaT team

TargamaT team
TargamaT team  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 11:42
Member (2010)
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Proz Support Mar 1, 2023

@Andrea Capuselli

Any update please?

I also noticed another bug in the system (less important)!

Elena Feriani

Yana Dovgopol
Yana Dovgopol
Local time: 12:42
SITE STAFF
The issue should be fixed Mar 3, 2023

Hello everyone,

Thanks for your patience.

The issue should be fixed.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Best regards,
Yana

Daniela Zambrini
Yaotl Altan

Daryo
Daryo
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:42
Serbian to English
+ ...
You're all aware Apr 23, 2023

that someone using a VPN can appear to be from about any country in the world they chose, depending on the VPN service they use?

Which makes knowing the country from where the site appears to have been accessed a not so useful feature, if the aim is "avoiding some real psychos out there".

Even the full **real** IP address is of rather limited usefulness. Most of the time it will only tell you who is the ISP (Internet Service Provider) and nothing more.

Who
... See more
that someone using a VPN can appear to be from about any country in the world they chose, depending on the VPN service they use?

Which makes knowing the country from where the site appears to have been accessed a not so useful feature, if the aim is "avoiding some real psychos out there".

Even the full **real** IP address is of rather limited usefulness. Most of the time it will only tell you who is the ISP (Internet Service Provider) and nothing more.

Who visited your profile is neither here or there. A publicly available profile is meant to be seen, right?

Someone contacting you is another story, and THEN due diligence is never wasted time.
Collapse

P.L.F. Persio

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Why I can not see visitor's country anymore?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »