Geneviève Granger  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 20:46
Member (2006)
German to French
+ ...
Aug 17, 2009

Hello,

with this nice weather I like to work on my balcony with my laptop. Unfortunately, I have at the moment a large project to be done with Across and it is not possible to exchange data between computers with the client version. I have worked in the past with a "telemaintenance" software that allowed to work remotely on another computer via the network, that is you can view and work on another computer in a console window as you were working directly on the remote computer. That
... See more
Hello,

with this nice weather I like to work on my balcony with my laptop. Unfortunately, I have at the moment a large project to be done with Across and it is not possible to exchange data between computers with the client version. I have worked in the past with a "telemaintenance" software that allowed to work remotely on another computer via the network, that is you can view and work on another computer in a console window as you were working directly on the remote computer. That the kind of solution I could like to try for my Across projects. Does somebody here have experience with this kind of application and would be able to advise me a nice and easy-to-use software - if possible a freeware.

Thanks in advance,
Geneviève
Collapse

Miroslav Jeftic
Miroslav Jeftic  Identity Verified
Member (2009)
English to Serbian
+ ...
:) Aug 17, 2009

There are many solutions, if you are using Windows OS, you have built-in application called Remote Desktop that will do just that, or you can use 3rd party applications such as VNC viewer (should be free), Radmin (not free), etc.
However, I'm not sure how much such kind of work will be comfortable or convenient, some slowdowns are probably expected, since such kind of applications are usually meant for administration, not for regular work. But the best is you try and see how it is.... See more
There are many solutions, if you are using Windows OS, you have built-in application called Remote Desktop that will do just that, or you can use 3rd party applications such as VNC viewer (should be free), Radmin (not free), etc.
However, I'm not sure how much such kind of work will be comfortable or convenient, some slowdowns are probably expected, since such kind of applications are usually meant for administration, not for regular work. But the best is you try and see how it is.
Collapse

Wolfgang Jörissen
Wolfgang Jörissen  Identity Verified
Belize
Dutch to German
+ ...
TeamViewer or Logmein.com Aug 17, 2009

... are two options that I personally use. Especially the latter is quite fast and convenient. At least for evaluation purposes, they are free.

Geneviève Granger
Germany
Member (2006)
German to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanx - solution found Aug 17, 2009

Thank you very much for your suggestion. I just found a very easy solution with "Remotedesk" (which was also suggested by Miroslav), which is a component of Windows, and I am enjoying my balcony right now! However, for some reason, the shift key suddenly does not work from time to time and I have to restart the console to get it to work again. If the solution is not satisfying enough, I will get back to your other suggestions.
... See more
Thank you very much for your suggestion. I just found a very easy solution with "Remotedesk" (which was also suggested by Miroslav), which is a component of Windows, and I am enjoying my balcony right now! However, for some reason, the shift key suddenly does not work from time to time and I have to restart the console to get it to work again. If the solution is not satisfying enough, I will get back to your other suggestions.

Have a nice day,
Geneviève
Collapse

Geneviève Granger
Germany
Member (2006)
German to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Left Ctrl is the culprit Aug 17, 2009

The problem I mentionned about the shift function not working anymore seems to be linked with the use of the left CRTL key. When I press it again, the shift function works again (???).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Remote console

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »