Serbia
Local time: 06:10
English to Russian
noted :) Apr 9, 2013

Michael Beijer wrote:

OFFLINE!

Michael

Duly noted!

Can you elaborate on why? Is it for privacy reasons? Would not it be nice to access your data on the go from mobile devices?

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:10
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
@arterm: Apr 9, 2013

Hi arterm,

It's not for privacy reasons. Although, there are a lot of people who still don't trust anything in the cloud and will therefore feel that it is necessary to keep all their data on their local machine. These are the same people that will 'never use Google Translate!' ... for fear of breaking NDAs.

I don't need to be able to access my data from mobile devices. The only work-related things I like to be able to do when away from my office is check an occasional
... See more
Hi arterm,

It's not for privacy reasons. Although, there are a lot of people who still don't trust anything in the cloud and will therefore feel that it is necessary to keep all their data on their local machine. These are the same people that will 'never use Google Translate!' ... for fear of breaking NDAs.

I don't need to be able to access my data from mobile devices. The only work-related things I like to be able to do when away from my office is check an occasional email on my iPhone or iPad. I don't want to be able to do my billing anywhere else;)

The main reason though is that, in general, installed programs are better. I have tried various online programs (accounting, online CAT tools, etc.) and they are invariably not as good as normal installed Windows programs.

Also, I like to have all of my data in one place, so I can back it up via DropBox and my nightly C:\ drive backups.

Michael
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Same attitude here Apr 9, 2013

Michael Beijer wrote:
The main reason though is that, in general, installed programs are better.

That is my attitude also. Privacy is not an issue for me (you either trust the vendor or you don't, and if you don't trust an online vendor, why do you trust an offline vendor not to secretly send your information over the internet to him?). The fact is simply that most online tools are very limited, or not very good, or difficult to use, or slow, or they require a lot more authentication than would be necessary in an offline tool.

If you can build an online tool that is just as good as an offline tool would have been, then that is okay. But my experience is negative in that regard.

Also, I prefer to use a separate program for separate tasks. If it is a web-based tool, then from my point of view I'm using a browser, which is not a separate program. A big problem with such tools is the risk of accidentally closing the tool with unsaved changes, or that a crash in the browser will mean that I can't get to the online tool unless I reboot the computer, or that if I accidentially close the tab with the tool in it, it takes me many steps to get back to the screen where I was.

Finally, there is the problem with interrupted internet. Even with reliable internet, the internet access could go down for a few minutes at an inopportune time.

I also enjoy the assurance of having my data in a place where I can see the files (but that is mostly psychological).

arterm
arterm  Identity Verified
Serbia
English to Russian
thanks for precious comments Apr 9, 2013

Michael and Samuel!

Your thoughts are just brilliant.

Thanks for your input.

arterm
Serbia
English to Russian
Mac or PC? Apr 13, 2013

One more question: do you prefer it for Mac or for PC?

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
PC! (and Mac, if possible) Apr 13, 2013

I would go with PC, for now.

I love my Mac (iPad), and used to have a Powerbook, but I just can't afford to run all of my work programs virtually inside of my Mac (via Parallels). Some people (my brother, and even one of the developers of memoQ (a PC-only program) included) are already doing it, but I will just stick with Win7 for the time being.

If possible both, of course;) If more business software is written to run natively on the Mac, maybe one day I will get to tr
... See more
I would go with PC, for now.

I love my Mac (iPad), and used to have a Powerbook, but I just can't afford to run all of my work programs virtually inside of my Mac (via Parallels). Some people (my brother, and even one of the developers of memoQ (a PC-only program) included) are already doing it, but I will just stick with Win7 for the time being.

If possible both, of course;) If more business software is written to run natively on the Mac, maybe one day I will get to treat myself to a shiny new one.

Michael
Collapse

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo
Madeleine MacRae Klintebo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Swedish to English
+ ...
Mac Apr 13, 2013

Mac would give you a USP.

I am one of the increasing (?) number of Mac-based translators and although I have VMware installed to be able use my preferred CAT, I prefer to run as many programs as possible on the Mac-side.

You might also be able to tweak the program later to suit design professional who are more likely to use Macs.

arterm
Serbia
English to Russian
Mac + PC + iPad then... Apr 13, 2013

Thanks for your input on software platforms.

I myself actually prefer web-services as with all their known limitations they are truly cross-platform.

arterm
Serbia
English to Russian
more questions Apr 19, 2013

1) Would you prefer a unified solution with upgrades (less consultancy, less flexibility, cheaper) or a more personalized solution tailored specifically for your personal business profile (more consultancy, total flexibility, more expensive)

2) Do you count in Trados-like word-based pattern or in characters, lines or different kind of units maybe? If you use non-word based counts, what formulas do you apply use to count fuzzy matches and alike?

3) How many currencies do
... See more
1) Would you prefer a unified solution with upgrades (less consultancy, less flexibility, cheaper) or a more personalized solution tailored specifically for your personal business profile (more consultancy, total flexibility, more expensive)

2) Do you count in Trados-like word-based pattern or in characters, lines or different kind of units maybe? If you use non-word based counts, what formulas do you apply use to count fuzzy matches and alike?

3) How many currencies do you usually keep your books in?

4) How fancy are your tax formulas in invoices? Are they the same for each client or different?
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Freelance Project Management Software Suggestions

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »