Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
New York Times compares machine translations from Google, Yahoo, Microsoft with that of humans

This discussion belongs to Translation news » "New York Times compares machine translations from Google, Yahoo, Microsoft with that of humans".
You can see the translation news page and participate in this discussion from there.

Amy Duncan (X)
Amy Duncan (X)  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 17:15
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Mar 15, 2010

I also am not threatened by machine translation. I don't expect it to be perfect because I don't use it that way. I use Google sometimes just to get some ideas about different words I could use or how I could phrase something differently. It also saves time in typing words, since most of the ones you need are already there.

Frances Leggett
Frances Leggett  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:15
Italian to English
+ ...
Mar 16, 2010

I am feeling slightly threatened by machine translation. Although it's obvious that every segment of text translated with Google Translate requires careful proofreading, sentence reordering and sometimes replacement of terms used, some of the text that Google Translate comes up with in my language pair in legal text is actually quite accurate and this is starting to worry me. I am doing a legal translation at the moment and was interested to see what results I got with Google Translate compare... See more
I am feeling slightly threatened by machine translation. Although it's obvious that every segment of text translated with Google Translate requires careful proofreading, sentence reordering and sometimes replacement of terms used, some of the text that Google Translate comes up with in my language pair in legal text is actually quite accurate and this is starting to worry me. I am doing a legal translation at the moment and was interested to see what results I got with Google Translate compared to my translations and I was surprised to see just how accurate some segments were. The segments all need rearranging and some terms replaced here and there but essentially could be edited. This indicates to me that for some language combinations and in some sectors of translation, documents could be edited from machine translations as the initial translation could be done through machine translation - perhaps not right away, but just imagine how this technology could progress over the next 10 years.

A sobering thought...
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New York Times compares machine translations from Google, Yahoo, Microsoft with that of humans

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »