Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
New York Times compares machine translations from Google, Yahoo, Microsoft with that of humans

This discussion belongs to Translation news » "New York Times compares machine translations from Google, Yahoo, Microsoft with that of humans".
You can see the translation news page and participate in this discussion from there.

david young
david young  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 21:45
French to English
Mar 9, 2010

I guess Google wins out on the St Exupery text because it accesses existing human translations. Good for Google!

Tatjana Dujmic
Tatjana Dujmic  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
English to German
+ ...
Mar 9, 2010

At least the New York Times is of the opinion that human translators won't be out of work too soon. So there is hope!

Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:45
Russian to English
+ ...
Mar 9, 2010

For further comparison, I ran the same texts through my trial copy of Promt (rules-based MT), for the languages I know, and here are the results:

Le Petit Prince:
First evening I therefore fell asleep on the sand in thousand thousand of any lived earth. I was more isolated than a survivor on a raft in the middle of the ocean. Then you imagine my surprise, in the rising of day, when an odd little voice awakened me. She said: please draw in me a sheep!

From Gorbache
... See more
For further comparison, I ran the same texts through my trial copy of Promt (rules-based MT), for the languages I know, and here are the results:

Le Petit Prince:
First evening I therefore fell asleep on the sand in thousand thousand of any lived earth. I was more isolated than a survivor on a raft in the middle of the ocean. Then you imagine my surprise, in the rising of day, when an odd little voice awakened me. She said: please draw in me a sheep!

From Gorbachev:
We live in the new world: - It is finished «cold war», race of arms and the mad militarization of the country which have spoilt our economy, public consciousness and morals is stopped. Threat world soldiers is removed.

[note: I deleted the hyphenation that for some stupid reason is in the Russian text in the NYT article, thereby giving a better result.]

Kafka:
When Gregor Samsa awoke one morning from worried dreams, he was found in his bed to an immense vermin transformed.
Collapse

Anton Konashenok
Anton Konashenok  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
French to English
+ ...
Mar 10, 2010

The use of well-known texts in NYT's test makes Google look much better than it really is. Another problem with Google is that its blunders are sometimes very "human" and can slip unnoticed by casual readers.

pikachupichu
pikachupichu  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 04:45
English to Japanese
+ ...
Mar 10, 2010

I am too frustrated with all search engines, Google, Yahoo, MS. All make grammatical errors, and cannot use as translation tools. It may be OK for you to save your time and you may proofread afterward for Eng to Fra/Ger/Ita/Esp. However, Japanese/Korean/Mongolian/Chinese translations shall not accept machine translations.

Nicholas Stedman
Nicholas Stedman  Identity Verified
Italy
French to English
Mar 10, 2010

Personally I find the challenge of Machine Translation really interesting and don't feel personally threatened in any way by technology. There will always be something else to do. Google does seem to win hands down with its statistical approach, but then apparently synapses in the infant brain seem to form "statistically" according to the frequency of the sounds they hear and other stimuli, so perhaps this isn't surprising. Odd the translation for "s'il vous plaît" though. Why didn't Google fi... See more
Personally I find the challenge of Machine Translation really interesting and don't feel personally threatened in any way by technology. There will always be something else to do. Google does seem to win hands down with its statistical approach, but then apparently synapses in the infant brain seem to form "statistically" according to the frequency of the sounds they hear and other stimuli, so perhaps this isn't surprising. Odd the translation for "s'il vous plaît" though. Why didn't Google find the human translation "please" (its one mistake in the translation)Collapse

Murat Uzum
Murat Uzum  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 22:45
English to Turkish
Mar 10, 2010

We are all John Connor, machines won't succeed!

Anton Mukhin
Anton Mukhin  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Mar 10, 2010

Russian translation was not so bad by Yahoo!
You should see how poorely Google does when translation from English into Russian - it's a total shame )

Anton Mukhin
Anton Mukhin  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Mar 10, 2010

Oops... "when translating", of course )

Justin Peterson
Justin Peterson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
Mar 10, 2010

If you ever want to get a good laugh, just put a somewhat complex text into any of these translators and enjoy the result. Incredibly enough, the most advanced technology cannot translate human writing. There are too many variables at work. Maybe someday. But translators are safe for now. JRP

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
Mar 10, 2010

Some good MT results (and these of G. in particular) are the result of worldwide data harvesting and alignment.

Marisol Barrios
Marisol Barrios
Chile
Local time: 15:45
Japanese to Spanish
+ ...
Mar 10, 2010

I guess we cannot really predict what is going to happend with the "performance" of machines translations such as the ones Google or Yahoo! provide. From these translations, we get the impression Google looks quite acceptable, but we cannot ignore the fact of the human factor in anything written. As Justin said, there are too many variables at work and certainly, human writing tends to be imperfect so this "imperfection" needs to be handeled with a "imperfection" too. A complex text may be an ex... See more
I guess we cannot really predict what is going to happend with the "performance" of machines translations such as the ones Google or Yahoo! provide. From these translations, we get the impression Google looks quite acceptable, but we cannot ignore the fact of the human factor in anything written. As Justin said, there are too many variables at work and certainly, human writing tends to be imperfect so this "imperfection" needs to be handeled with a "imperfection" too. A complex text may be an example of this and at that point, I think machines still have a long way to go.Collapse

Pernille Chapman
Pernille Chapman  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:45
Member (2004)
English to Danish
+ ...
Mar 10, 2010

Surely there's one more mistake in the Google version of The Little Prince? 'She' doesn't refer back to the person speaking (being a prince, we must assume he is male!) but to the 'odd little voice'.
Agree with the points made about the choice of source texts; no doubt Google would do a lot worse on technical or indeed marketing texts. Check out a few product-promoting websites with 'Choose a language' options if you need further proof...

telefpro
telefpro
Local time: 01:15
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Mar 14, 2010

Sometimes Google translates like the cat ate the elephant, and we need human translation to save the elephant

Veronica Lupascu
Veronica Lupascu  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Dutch to Romanian
+ ...
Mar 14, 2010

Google 'vocabulary' data bases are rich when 'translating' from or into English. The results for non English translations are so funny and meaningless. Languages are too complex to be 'understood' entirely by machines. Just try google translate for idioms or jargons! Free comedy 24/24!

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New York Times compares machine translations from Google, Yahoo, Microsoft with that of humans

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »