How Google Translate will increase demand for human translation

This discussion belongs to Translation news » "How Google Translate will increase demand for human translation".
You can see the translation news page and participate in this discussion from there.

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:04
Spanish to English
+ ...
Mar 12, 2010

I think that as people have more exposure (through MT) to more documents, information and ideas, the more things they will find that they want to have translated.

Marinus Vesseur
Marinus Vesseur  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 00:04
English to Dutch
+ ...
Mar 13, 2010

I suppose that's what they told farmers when tractors were introduced: the more people will be exposed to produce from farmer's fields, the more respect the farmer will get. In a way it was even true, but only for less than 10% of farmers.

Nabil Abdel Ahad
Nabil Abdel Ahad
Local time: 10:04
English to Arabic
Mar 14, 2010

I do not believe in Google's Translation at all. It can be use only for word by word or for words only. I am so grateful for our colleague who started to tacke this very important matter. Best regards,Nabil Abdel Ahad, Senior English and Arabic Translator

Αlban SHPΑTΑ
Αlban SHPΑTΑ  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2008)
English to Albanian
+ ...
Mar 14, 2010

That reminds me of an episode from the Simpsons.

Lisa walks by the town library, and imagines the literary figures coming to life. Alice from Alice in Wonderland appears)
- Alice (timidly): Won't you join our tea party? It'd be ever so--- DON'T DO IT LISA, IT'S A TRICK!
(Suddenly, the Mad Hatter grabs Alice, and holds a loaded gun to her temple)
- Alice: Run! Run!"

Thaiane Assumpção
Thaiane Assumpção  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 04:04
English to Portuguese
Mar 15, 2010

Really hard to tell... Perhaps, the more the exposure to documents, information and ideas, the more the need to translate files, the more the use o TMs... the less the demand for translators...
I just hope serious people who want real good translations don't think like that.

esing (X)
esing (X)
India
Local time: 12:34
Malayalam to English
+ ...
Mar 15, 2010

Deskilling is continuous process as technology advances. Yesteryear’s skilled jobs have been turned into unskilled jobs now. (Stenography, telegraphy, book-keeping, medical diagnostics, precision designs, navigation through sea and or air)

Likewise whatever is now perceived as skilled jobs would become unskilled within one’s life time!

Finally, services that require personal skill alone may remain in value chain. For example aerial navigation is automated; yet smoo
... See more
Deskilling is continuous process as technology advances. Yesteryear’s skilled jobs have been turned into unskilled jobs now. (Stenography, telegraphy, book-keeping, medical diagnostics, precision designs, navigation through sea and or air)

Likewise whatever is now perceived as skilled jobs would become unskilled within one’s life time!

Finally, services that require personal skill alone may remain in value chain. For example aerial navigation is automated; yet smooth landing and efficient take off requires personal skill.

Translation may become mundane task. Yet translation involving precision such as poetry, legal documents etc. have hope of survival despite machines.
Collapse

Jeff Allen
Jeff Allen  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 09:04
Multiplelanguages
+ ...
Mar 17, 2010

It's not a case of deskilling but complementary reskilling. See all my posts on this here on Proz under my mtpostediting alias.

Jasna Gonda
Jasna Gonda  Identity Verified
Serbia
Local time: 09:04
English to Serbian
+ ...
Mar 17, 2010

It seems that most of these comments missed the intention of the source. I understand he wanted to say that Google translate is so 'unfinished' that it cannot be used without a human polish and because of that, people will see that tanslators should get greater recognition and status. I absolutely agree.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How Google Translate will increase demand for human translation

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »