angol - portugál
+ ...
Az Ő emlékére:
Sep 2, 2010

Some selected snippets from a job post I received today via Proz:
  • 40 thousand words, Trados **URGENT**
  • Expected outcome: 3 K words per day.
  • Source format: Powerpoint and Word files
  • Delivery format: exported TMs (Trados)

• Incidentally...

• This job is in my language pair, the general subject being my #1 specialty.
    • Right now, I'm translating another job of the very same kind, in the same specific subject.
    • Actually I'm redoing the whole job from scratch, because the original translation was unsatisfactory, beyond economically viable salvage through editing.
    • In the process, I discovered that redoing from scratch would be 8% cheaper than fixing it completely.

Key differences are:

• I'm working for the end-client directly, the ad seems to be from an agency.
    • I have quite 'artsy' PPT and PDF files to translate.
    • I'm using InFix & WordFast Classic on MS Word for PDFs, and WordFast Pro for PPTs, to deliver final, ready-to-use files.

All this job poster wants is the TMs. So one can assume that they are not seeking translators that will take the job all the way to its deliverable format, but ones whose work ends at the TM. I wonder what process - and what kind of operators - would use these TMs to develop the final deliverables. Would they be 'blind' Trados drivers? If so, what would be the effort (and cost) of making the whole assembly fit together thereafter?

Hence I wonder if our profession has definitely changed, or if I'll eventually be consulted on redoing from scratch this job they are offering today (not to me! - they demand Trados, and I don't have it).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Has our profession definitely changed?

Protemos translation business management system
    Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
    Wordfast Pro
    Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »