Thread poster: palomitica29
palomitica29
palomitica29
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
Sep 24, 2014

Hi everyone,

Not sure if I have posted this question in the correct place.

I would like to hear your thoughts about using tú or usted in Spanish e-learning courses for an audience in Latin America. Which is more common?

The course is for university professionals who are being trained in best practices in online learning pedagogy. I was surprised that the translator, based in Latin America, used tú and not usted when providing written instructions to par
... See more
Hi everyone,

Not sure if I have posted this question in the correct place.

I would like to hear your thoughts about using tú or usted in Spanish e-learning courses for an audience in Latin America. Which is more common?

The course is for university professionals who are being trained in best practices in online learning pedagogy. I was surprised that the translator, based in Latin America, used tú and not usted when providing written instructions to participants in the course. Everything I have experienced up until now has indicated that usted is more common in Latin America so this is why I am surprised.

Thanks for your insight.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Formal versus informal speech (tú/usted) in Spanish e-learning courses

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »