Thread poster: Laurela Bruka
Laurela Bruka
Laurela Bruka  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:43
German to English
+ ...
Aug 6, 2020

Dear all, i have a question out of curiosity since i'm new on this platform. What kind of documents do you usually get to translate? (finance, business, IT et.) Thanks in advance!

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 11:43
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
I'm very fussy Aug 6, 2020

Laurela Bruka wrote:
What kind of documents do you usually get to translate? (finance, business, IT et.)

I'm extremely IT-challenged, so I'll only accept files that can be worked on in Word (doc, docx, txt, rtf...), Excel (xls, xlsx...), pdfs, and that's about it. Most translators will accept lots of others.

Kay-Viktor Stegemann
Kay-Viktor Stegemann
Germany
Local time: 12:43
English to German
In memoriam
There are no standards Aug 6, 2020

I translate technical manuals and user guides, software strings, game content, whitepapers, press releases, internal enterprise documents, website content, product descriptions, marketing material, part lists, video captions, even some books ... but I have no idea if this is typical or rather uncommon. It probably depends a lot from the areas and subjects you work in. And I have to be prepared for something completely different every day.

Philippe Etienne
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
expressisverbis

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 12:43
English to French
A translator can't translate every subject Aug 7, 2020

Altogether, customers using Proz.com likely outsource texts from most fields you may think of, from botany and military tactics to social science and neutronics (fictitious examples).

I don't know anything about investment funds or CRISPR-Cas9 DNA cutting, so I don't do.
Others may not feel at ease with turbine generators or excavator hydraulics, but it could be in my "scope".

Make sure you know at least some basic principles about the field. The more interests/ed
... See more
Altogether, customers using Proz.com likely outsource texts from most fields you may think of, from botany and military tactics to social science and neutronics (fictitious examples).

I don't know anything about investment funds or CRISPR-Cas9 DNA cutting, so I don't do.
Others may not feel at ease with turbine generators or excavator hydraulics, but it could be in my "scope".

Make sure you know at least some basic principles about the field. The more interests/education/training/culture you have, the wider your net.

Philippe
Collapse

expressisverbis

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 11:43
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Dominant? Aug 7, 2020

I’ve been an active member since 2007 and I haven’t the faintest idea what are the dominant subjects on Proz as I only receive translation job postings on the subjects I specialize in and even regarding those I quote very rarely as rates are quite often below a level I find unacceptable.

Christopher Schröder

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

dominant text types on PROZ

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »