A témához tartozó oldalak:   [1 2] >
Urgent: please convince me to get MS Windows XP Professional...
Téma indítója: Susana Galilea
Susana Galilea
Susana Galilea  Identity Verified
Egyesült Államok
Local time: 08:34
angol - spanyol
+ ...
Apr 7, 2003

Or better yet, please confirm that MS Windows XP Home Edition is perfectly suitable for a professional translator\'s business. My colleague Nikita broached on this subject in his posting about OS options.

I am making an investment in a new computer in the next couple of days, and would appreciate any insights. XP Professional seems outrageously overpriced, and I have yet to come across a job that requires PowerPoint (which I understand to be the main difference between both
... See more
Or better yet, please confirm that MS Windows XP Home Edition is perfectly suitable for a professional translator\'s business. My colleague Nikita broached on this subject in his posting about OS options.

I am making an investment in a new computer in the next couple of days, and would appreciate any insights. XP Professional seems outrageously overpriced, and I have yet to come across a job that requires PowerPoint (which I understand to be the main difference between both versions).

Thanks in advance for all your contributions.

Cheers,

Susana

P.S. It is snowing in New York City!

[ This Message was edited by: susa773 on 2003-04-07 19:37]

[ This Message was edited by: susa773 on 2003-04-07 19:39]

[ This Message was edited by: susa773 on 2003-04-07 22:33]
Collapse

gamingman (X)
gamingman (X)
Magyarország
Local time: 15:34
angol - magyar
Windows XP Home is perfect... Apr 7, 2003

for your business. Professional adds advanced networking, you can live without at home. But even if you need some networking, Home can address it, but not so conveniently, as Pro.

Quote:

On 2003-04-07 19:33, susa773 wrote:

Or better yet, please confirm that MS Windows XP Home Edition is perfectly suitable for a professional translator\'s business. My colleague Nikita broached on this subject in his posting abou... See more
for your business. Professional adds advanced networking, you can live without at home. But even if you need some networking, Home can address it, but not so conveniently, as Pro.

Quote:

On 2003-04-07 19:33, susa773 wrote:

I am making an investment in a new computer in the next couple of days, and would appreciate any insights. XP Professional seems outrageously overpriced, and I have yet to come across a job that requires PowerPoint (which I understand to be the main difference between both versions).

Thanks in advance for all your contributions.

Cheers,

Susana

P.S. It is snowing in New York City!

[ This Message was edited by: susa773 on 2003-04-07 19:37]

[ This Message was edited by: susa773 on 2003-04-07 19:39]

Collapse

swisstell
swisstell
Olaszország
Local time: 15:34
német - angol
+ ...
XP Home Edition versus Prof. Apr 7, 2003

I am doing just fine with the Home Edition but I will also admit that I have MSN Office (Word, Power Point, Excel etc.) as an addition - and you are so right about the very little use Power Point seems to get.

That may not be of much help but you asked and therefore I start the \"answering ball\" rolling - or so I hope. Good luck!

Harry Bornemann
Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexikó
Local time: 07:34
angol - német
+ ...
forget XP professional Apr 7, 2003

With the home edition I got my DSL connection running, with the professional edition it never worked.

Albeit someone told me that it would work fine, if it was installed professionally..

P.S. It is snowing in Berlin, too!

[ This Message was edited by: Harry_B on 2003-04-08 00:03]

Susana Galilea
Egyesült Államok
angol - spanyol
+ ...
TÉMAINDÍTÓ
oh, really? Apr 8, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-04-07 23:53, Harry_B wrote:

Albeit someone told me that it would work fine, if it was installed professionally..

Must be why they call it Professional

Am I to understand on top of having to fork over the big bucks, you need to hire professional help in orde... See more
Quote:

On 2003-04-07 23:53, Harry_B wrote:

Must be why they call it Professional

Am I to understand on top of having to fork over the big bucks, you need to hire professional help in order to get it to work with your programs?

Can\'t say I\'m the least bit sold, so far...

A million thanks for your replies. My purchase clock is ticking, I hope to get a few more opinions in the next 24 hours...

Cheers,

S.

P.S. Anyone enjoying a sunny day, anywhere?

[ This Message was edited by: susa773 on 2003-04-08 00:07] ▲ Collapse

Maria Knorr
Maria Knorr
Local time: 09:34
angol
+ ...
I have XP Pro Apr 8, 2003

I enjoy it, but I never had Home version for any of my computers so I am not sure what the difference is. I don\'t recall having any problems with it (I\'ve had it for over a year) that required professional help. I also have DSL which was extremely easy to connect, it was basically plug-n-play. I used to have it go through router which was also no problem.

Please let me know if you have any specific questions and I\'d be happy to answer them.

Maria

Boyan Kostadinov
Boyan Kostadinov  Identity Verified
bolgár - angol
+ ...
Win XP Pro is Better Apr 8, 2003

The Professional version is defently my clear choice of OS. It\'s much more configurable and even has more features than the Home Edition. Nothing to brag about but it\'s just better. Not to mention that it supports 2 CPUs and if you have 2 CPUs in your machine and Windows XP Home Edition sees only one, that bites So if you can afford it, it\'s defently worth it. I think the difference is about $50 for the OEM Pro edition vs. the OEM Home Edition.... See more
The Professional version is defently my clear choice of OS. It\'s much more configurable and even has more features than the Home Edition. Nothing to brag about but it\'s just better. Not to mention that it supports 2 CPUs and if you have 2 CPUs in your machine and Windows XP Home Edition sees only one, that bites So if you can afford it, it\'s defently worth it. I think the difference is about $50 for the OEM Pro edition vs. the OEM Home Edition.

Harry_B, I highly doubt your DSL problem was because of the OS. It\'s almost like saying, don\'t use Win2K, use Win98 because I never got my connection to work under Win2K (and the improvement in Win2K over Win98 is tramendous).
Collapse

Susana Galilea
Egyesült Államok
angol - spanyol
+ ...
TÉMAINDÍTÓ
specific questions Apr 8, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-04-08 00:32, Mashulya wrote:

Please let me know if you have any specific questions and I\'d be happy to answer them.

I basically want to make sure I will be perfectly suited to conduct my translation business with Home Edition. I have been perfectly happy with Windows 98 until now, and the only reason I am upgrading is because I am buying a new computer. I do get the sense XP Pr... See more
Quote:

On 2003-04-08 00:32, Mashulya wrote:

I basically want to make sure I will be perfectly suited to conduct my translation business with Home Edition. I have been perfectly happy with Windows 98 until now, and the only reason I am upgrading is because I am buying a new computer. I do get the sense XP Pro is for people who do much more sophisticated things with their computers than I may ever dream to achieve

Thanks again,

S. ▲ Collapse

Boyan Kostadinov
bolgár - angol
+ ...
I Can Answer That Apr 8, 2003

Yes WinXP Home will serve all of your needs if you used Win98 until now and it did all you needed it to do. So don\'t spend the money on WinXP Pro unless you want to. Just make sure all the software you use under Win98 is compatible with WinXP (Home or Pro).

Susana Galilea
Egyesült Államok
angol - spanyol
+ ...
TÉMAINDÍTÓ
on compatible software Apr 8, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-04-08 00:51, boyank wrote:

Yes WinXP Home will serve all of your needs if you used Win98 until now and it did all you needed it to do. So don\'t spend the money on WinXP Pro unless you want to. Just make sure all the software you use under Win98 is compatible with WinXP (Home or Pro).

Well, that settles that. Thank you so very much!

Your last note brings som... See more
Quote:

On 2003-04-08 00:51, boyank wrote:

Well, that settles that. Thank you so very much!

Your last note brings something else to mind, as I will be upgrading to MS Office XP at the same time (these are software bundles that come with the equipment). Here is my last very uninformed question about WinXP Pro: is Office XP Small Business compatible with WinXP Pro, or would I necessarily have to use Office XP Pro were I to choose WinXP Pro? While it is true that WinXP Pro is only about $60 more expensive than Home Edition, what I am seeing is that Office XP Pro adds about another $200 to the equation (compared to Office XP Small Business).

Or could I simply not upgrade the office software at all, and wait to see how MS Office 2000 (my current Office software) fares with WinXP?

Here is hoping I am not abusing your computer expertise

S.

P.S. Or will we all be looking to upgrade to Office 2003 when it is released in the next few months?

[ This Message was edited by: susa773 on 2003-04-08 01:11]

[ This Message was edited by: susa773 on 2003-04-08 01:22] ▲ Collapse

Boyan Kostadinov
bolgár - angol
+ ...
Any Version of Office will Work Apr 8, 2003

Any version of Office will work on WinXP Home or Pro so I don\'t think you need to worry about it (you can even use Office 97 if you feel like it, I\'ve used Publish 97 under WinXP).

Susana Galilea
Egyesült Államok
angol - spanyol
+ ...
TÉMAINDÍTÓ
my big, fat, new computer Apr 8, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-04-08 01:33, boyank wrote:

Any version of Office will work on WinXP Home or Pro so I don\'t think you need to worry about it (you can even use Office 97 if you feel like it, I\'ve used Publish 97 under WinXP).

Boyan, I can only hope one day you are absolutely in need of knowing how to translate something in Spanish, and I can help you as graciously and expertly as you have helpe... See more
Quote:

On 2003-04-08 01:33, boyank wrote:

Boyan, I can only hope one day you are absolutely in need of knowing how to translate something in Spanish, and I can help you as graciously and expertly as you have helped me...thanks to all of you who have responded so quickly

Based on what I have gathered from this and other threads, here is the basic configuration I am planning for my new desktop:

- Pentium 4 Processor at 2.0GHz (512K L2 Cache)

- 256MB DDR-SDRAM

- 60GB/7200RPM Hard Drive

- Windows XP Home Edition (yesssss )

- 48x/24x/48x Max CD-RW Drive

- MS Office 2000 Small Business

I am assuming I will be more than happy with this configuration. If anyone sees anything in it that needs correction, I would appreciate your input (just bear in mind I have quite happily managed with 96MB RAM for the past five years, so I guess I am the thrifty kind...).

Last chance to contribute before this old laptop turns into a pumpkin

S.

Collapse

Boyan Kostadinov
bolgár - angol
+ ...
You asked for it Apr 8, 2003

Susana,

you are very welcome. I\'m glad I can help you out.

You asked for corrections. So here is what I would correct

I would get an Athlon XP 2000+ or faster

(much better price/performance ration than the P4). The Athlon XP processors are just as good as the P4 if not better but because they don\'t cary the Intel name they also don\'t cary the Intel pricetag.

... See more
Susana,

you are very welcome. I\'m glad I can help you out.

You asked for corrections. So here is what I would correct

I would get an Athlon XP 2000+ or faster

(much better price/performance ration than the P4). The Athlon XP processors are just as good as the P4 if not better but because they don\'t cary the Intel name they also don\'t cary the Intel pricetag.

You didn\'t say anying about the motherboard you are getting. I would say get any of the new boards with the KT400 Chipset - look at Abit (my personal favorite), MSI or Gigabyte boards.

256MB should do you fine but memory is a good thing to have and at prices nowdays, 512MB wouldn\'t hurt. Just make sure you get a good brand with lifetime warrenty. I would recoomend at least PC2700 (that\'s the speed of the memory, any board with the KT400 chipset will support at least that if not faster RAM).

I would also recommend a DVD or CD-Rom drive on top of your CDR-W. Usually, it\'s not a good idea to use your burner as a regular CD-Rom (I\'m talking from experience). And if you get a DVD drive, you can also play DVDs on your PC

You didn\'t say anything about a video card either. I would suggest any of the GeForce 4 MX 420 or MX 440.

Hope this is not more information than what you asked for, he he.
Collapse

Susana Galilea
Egyesült Államok
angol - spanyol
+ ...
TÉMAINDÍTÓ
I sure did ask for it :grin: Apr 8, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-04-08 02:35, boyank wrote:

No it is not, although I am glad I only have a few hours left to place my order...I can see how this could go on forever

Most of your questions do not apply in my case, as I am choosing from configured models offered b... See more
Quote:

On 2003-04-08 02:35, boyank wrote:

No it is not, although I am glad I only have a few hours left to place my order...I can see how this could go on forever

Most of your questions do not apply in my case, as I am choosing from configured models offered by a brand name I happen to like. My technical knowledge has not reached the point where I could dream of assembling my own computer, but with a few more threads like this one I may just be able to do so next time I am in the market for a computer. So thanks again.

A few items intrigue me about your answer:

1. With what I am saving by not buying the Office XP software, I could certainly buy myself some more RAM

2. I had thought an additional DVD drive would be a nice thing to have, but now I see there are technical considerations as well, so thank you for bringing that up

3. If Pentium is not really that important, would I do just as well with a Celeron processor at 2.0GHz (it is the other choice given by this particular brand, and saves a bit of money); somewhere I read Pentium was really essential for today\'s applications, blah blah blah, but one reads all kinds of things...

I am only hoping other people are learning from this thread as much as I am

Is it bedtime yet?

S. ▲ Collapse

sylver
sylver  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:34
angol - francia
Don't upgrade MS Office Apr 8, 2003

It will not do you any good. Office 2000 works just fine, and the changes certainly don\'t warant buying a new software version.

In fact, unless you are an advanced user, you will probably not know even a third of what is available to you in present, and beside the new look and the new paste options, you probably won\'t notice anything else.

Actually, I am considering to revert to Office 2000.

A témához tartozó oldalak:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Urgent: please convince me to get MS Windows XP Professional...

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »